iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kind of a way out...

Started by HiTech, November 21, 2014, 03:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

topic. This is for the southern gents on here. I was watching "My Cousin Vinny" on TV. They showed some grits on a plate with eggs and bacon. I never had any that I can remember. Not sure what they would taste like. I was wondering if maple syrup would spruce them up. I should get some and try them. Just curious.

Gary_C

Just a reminder from a "northern gent" that curiosity killed the cat. So be careful what you try as it could be fatal.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

KyLogger

Grits taste like..................grits. ;) Usual condiments to put on grits (but only if you're a Yankee) are butter,cheese, or sugar......

I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

coxy

Quote from: Gary_C on November 21, 2014, 05:21:53 AM
Just a reminder from a "northern gent" that curiosity killed the cat. So be careful what you try as it could be fatal.  :)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

thecfarm

Put Maple Syrup on grits........ arg-smiley fudd-smiley Now maybe that fake syrup you buy at a store.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: thecfarm on November 21, 2014, 07:09:56 AM
Put Maple Syrup on grits........ arg-smiley fudd-smiley Now maybe that fake syrup you buy at a store.
:D :D I love the grits conversations  8) 8)

thenorthman

grits taste a little like homeny, the weird puffed up corn stuff... which is sort of what it is just ground.

I've only had it a few times, its fairly good... little butter and salt. Hashbrowns are better.

I think I tried them after watching My Cousin Vinney as well...
well that didn't work

beenthere

I recall very well my younger days of having to stay at the table until I finished my plate that had a spoonful of hominy.
Could not get them to go down.. sat there for long stretches staring at them while trying to muster up the courage to just eat them.
No taste, just lumps of white laying there staring back at me.  steve_smiley

But on looking further, apparently used often in mexican recipes... such as tortillas, soups, etc.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/23/hominy-what-is-it_n_5515126.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thurlow

I know it's blasfemy 8), but I been living in the South for 70-plus years;  I've probably had grits fewer than 10 times.  For breakfast, I have (not all at oncest) cereal, country ham, fried eggs, scrambled eggs (with shredded cheese, chopped up ham or spam), sausage, toast, SOS, fried frog legs w/gravy, pancakes, waffles, fried potatoes, breakfast casserole, several different kinds of jams, jellies, preserves, left-over pizza, left-over fried fish, etc.  I've even had a hot souse sandwich (with mayo and sliced, sweet pickles).  I don't do grits.........
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

HiTech

Quote from: thurlow on November 21, 2014, 11:27:17 AM
I know it's blasfemy 8), but I been living in the South for 70-plus years;  I've probably had grits fewer than 10 times.  For breakfast, I have (not all at oncest) cereal, country ham, fried eggs, scrambled eggs (with shredded cheese, chopped up ham or spam), sausage, toast, SOS, fried frog legs w/gravy, pancakes, waffles, fried potatoes, breakfast casserole, several different kinds of jams, jellies, preserves, left-over pizza, left-over fried fish, etc.  I've even had a hot souse sandwich (with mayo and sliced, sweet pickles).  I don't do grits.........
Wow!!! some good breakfast foods. lol

mesquite buckeye

Grits require runny eggs. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

blade69001

I love G.R.I.T.S.
but since we are talking about food.........

Worse grits I ever had were in NYC, The cook added Hominy for some reason. After that I stuck to SOS in places other than the south. 

Bland little white grindings that stick to your ribs you can put whatever you want on them. they are best served with fresh shrimp pulled peeled and sauteed in garlic and onions. Man I miss working on the boats sometimes.

Maple syrup????? Sound like something people put in their whiskey.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

CCC4

Grits are awesome!! I eat mine either floated in butter and sugar or syrup and also floated with butter with salt and pepper...enough pepper to put a layer across the top! Good stuff Maynard!! Or...if you are really lucky and happen to live with a G.R.I.T.S. you can hope they know how to make real "Red eye gravy"....now thats Cadillac right there!

KyLogger

Squirrel gravy and biscuts! I do like sugar, or salt and butter on my grits.............I will admit it..  ;D Had to give the yankees a little grief!

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Holmes

The only good thing about grits is the conversations.  I believe it does not even make the food pyramid. It does seem to draw a strong line between North and South.
Think like a farmer.

isawlogs

There is no taste to grits....  not a food group or part of food group. Don't waste good maple syrop on it .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Swatson

Grits are what you eat for breakfast when you got a lot of work to do.  They'll be with you all day ;)
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

isawlogs

Eggs and bacon go well together .... hash brown to acompagnie them.  smiley_smug01
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

curdog

I've had some of my pancake syrup spill over into my grits and it wasn't bad. Usually just a little salt and pepper, or maybe a little but of "juice " from my over easy eggs. And butter..... mmmm, is it time for breakfast yet? 8)

isawlogs

Marcel

Holmes

:D :D :D
Think like a farmer.

Oliver05262

"I've even had a hot souse sandwich (with mayo and sliced, sweet pickles).  I don't do grits........."

whassat???  translate, please

"The only good thing about grits is the conversations.  I believe it does not even make the food pyramid. It does seem to draw a strong line between North and South."

I love it. I spent 2 1/2 years in So. Carolina in the Navy and et a lot of grits and even RABBIT on the tender.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Southside

Quote from: CCC4 on November 21, 2014, 04:16:56 PM
Grits are awesome!! I eat mine either floated in butter and sugar or syrup and also floated with butter with salt and pepper...enough pepper to put a layer across the top! Good stuff Maynard!! Or...if you are really lucky and happen to live with a G.R.I.T.S. you can hope they know how to make real "Red eye gravy"....now thats Cadillac right there!

Something tells me them Yankees have no idea what y'all are talking about, and that is fine by me.....no sense in sharing  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Maine logger88

I know what G.R.I.T.S stands for only because of the Brantley Gilbert song tho...lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

kiko

Grits are a staple around this house.  However,  instant grits are just plain nasty, you got to cook'em .  And absolutely no sweet,  that is like ketchup on a steak!  Two eggs over light cut and mixed to make yellow grits, salt and pepper. Yum.  How about fried crappie or bluegill fillets with cheddar cheese grits.  Cheese grits are the only side we have when we fry fish.  You can even grill and fry grits.  When I was a young man I ventured from the country and attended a major university. In one particular biology lab we where to open an egg and identify the different parts. The lab instructor showed us how to open the egg by poking a small hole in the egg and picking apart the shell slowly as not to disturb the yolk when removing from the shell. When they got done i cracked the egg on my inspection bowl and emptied shell with no damage to yolk. The lab girl came running over and ask how did you do that?  I said just like I was frying an egg.  She ask, you know how to fry an egg? ( silly question to me because I though everybody knew how to fry an egg at that time of my life)  I said sure and I can cook grits too! She.. Grits really?  On our first date I found out she was from Atlanta .  So moral of the story,  it not just north and south it is also city and country.

HiTech

Going to the store today, I will see if I can find Grits. I will look for the kind you have to cook and stay away from the instant. Who knows I might even like them. lol

Ford_man

I tried grits once but sand sill works better.

isawlogs

You boys stay out in the sun too long or the cooler weather must really affect youall.... them  grits  are not on any food group I know of. None .  ;D :D

Marcel

thecfarm

Bread,meat and cheese is my group!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thurlow

Quote from: Oliver05262 on November 21, 2014, 09:00:25 PM
"I've even had a hot souse sandwich (with mayo and sliced, sweet pickles). 

whassat???  translate, please
If'n I'd said 'head cheese', would you understand?  Maybe not quite the same thing, but it's in the family. ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

warren46

Yes I understand "head cheese."  You take a head from one or more butchered pigs and remove the brains.  The head is then boiled until the flesh can be removed and separated from the skin.  The resulting meat and gel is then mixed with spices, formed into a loaf and chilled.

yumm!!
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

CCC4

Y'all lost me at brains...I used to get fed squirrel brains and scrambled eggs as a kid...until I found out it wasn't ham! LOL!

I used to help cut timber for some Amish that were breaking draft horses for me...I used to stay up there with them on the weekends. I can say that I have eaten some things that I never thought I would or could! Coffe soup and blood pudding...OMG...it is hard to not eat it when a cute Amish girl has just slaved over the kitchen in order to fix me a meal.

My Mother...South Carolina native, used to serve up some mean scrapple...but I ain't eating it ever again...no thanks...no way

treeslayer2003

Quote from: CCC4 on November 24, 2014, 05:32:21 PM
Y'all lost me at brains...I used to get fed squirrel brains and scrambled eggs as a kid...until I found out it wasn't ham! LOL!

I used to help cut timber for some Amish that were breaking draft horses for me...I used to stay up there with them on the weekends. I can say that I have eaten some things that I never thought I would or could! Coffe soup and blood pudding...OMG...it is hard to not eat it when a cute Amish girl has just slaved over the kitchen in order to fix me a meal.

My Mother...South Carolina native, used to serve up some mean scrapple...but I ain't eating it ever again...no thanks...no way
what bro? you come on up here, you'll eat scrapple lol.  i got so i like mine fried up a lil crispy now.
now who here has had fish roe and eggs? yum!

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

BargeMonkey

Quote from: goose63 on November 25, 2014, 10:33:26 AM
Head cheese steve_smiley
Exactly. Head cheese, scrapple, hearts and kidneys....  i like to eat, not think im on an episode of fear factor.  :D   The heat down there must do something to your brains.  ;)

enigmaT120

A mind is a terrible thing to taste.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

kiko

A small town near me has a chitlin festival every year.  This is where I draw the line.   Chitlin recipe:  place chitlins in pot of water and cook the crap out of them.  Just the literal aspect of that statement is enough for me to pass.

Maine logger88

They boil the chit out of them huh lol!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

treeslayer2003

Quote from: kiko on November 25, 2014, 04:54:25 PM
A small town near me has a chitlin festival every year.  This is where I draw the line.   Chitlin recipe:  place chitlins in pot of water and cook the crap out of them.  Just the literal aspect of that statement is enough for me to pass.
yea, i ain't eatin that.......or snake...nope

FayettesFinest

I love grits. I put butter, salt and pepper on them. Every once in a while, I'll get a wild hair and venture about an hour or so to this little truck stop right across the PA/MD border to go eat. Granted I did it a whole lot more when I was single, the old lady doesn't approve when I want to drive an hour or so, one way, to go eat at a truck stop. But I always get country fried steak, mashed potatoes, eggs and grits, all in the vicinity of 12$. Can't beat it. Other than Crackerbarrel, not many places serve grits here and it really chafes me...
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

HiTech

Been to 3 stores up here and all I could find was Instant Grits. You say they are nasty so I didn't buy them. One store told me they would have the kind you have to cook, they just ran out. Guess my Grit sampling will have to wait. lol

Thank You Sponsors!