iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is It worth It To Pick Up Just 1 or 2 logs ?

Started by Tree Dan, November 20, 2014, 09:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Dan

I have done 4 saw jobs so far with the new 35...all small jobs under 500bf

What I need help with now is know how much should I be paying for a cut Black Cherry...per bf
Also guys what bf rule should I use?  do I measure the small end?,,, sorry I'm a bit lost on this part.

I need to haul my skid steer about2 miles to buy this Cherry... maybe trim it to 8 footers load it on my 1 ton dump truck....load the skid steer back up a go.

How much a bf should I offer?

Thanks
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

JB Griffin

Yes you scale the small end inside the bark, I use a doyle scale stick because that they use down here. Your call on which stick to use, but i'd call around and see what other mills are using.
No help on pricing, but I wouldn't give much, having load and haul them.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Southside

For what its worth Doyle is usually more acceptable, and more fair to both parties, with larger diameter wood, it grossly under measures the smaller wood.  One of the mills I sell to that pays very well, but also is very particular about their grading, uses both Doyle and International for grading.  High value, larger logs are measured in Doyle, lower value and smaller diameter are measured in International.  Nothing wrong with having several grades in a price sheet.  From the logger perspective I feel better about selling this way, and I know he is comfortable with buying this way.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

scleigh

Also, the price the mill pays is delivered, already bucked to size. Once you load and haul your equipment to recover a log, it about has to be free.

YellowHammer

I've done it before for just a few logs, but they really need to be free to make it worthwhile, if at all, not yard trees because of nails and such, and especially cherry logs need to be inspected because if they've been down and bucked, they will have begun to dry and will probably have big cracks in the ends which will make getting good lumber difficult. 

On the other hand, you asked if it was worth it, and it sounds like it would be a relatively low effort, valuable learning experience.  :P Around here, low grade logs go for $250 per MBF, delivered, and I would use that to compare to what he was asking for them. In reality, how much they are worth is really up you :)
I use Doyle scale, small end always.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Free or he can keep them :D :D And they would have to nice and 14"+ on the small end, fresh cut.If he del to me .30 a bf inside the sap wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tree Dan

Perfect...That's what I needed to know.
I did take one big old Cherry down last week for free,
but it had some rott in it...same thing, needed the skid steer to load.

Thanks guys...happy sawing :snowball:
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Thank You Sponsors!