iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not Bibby's TK Blower...but...Frank N. Stein

Started by oldsaw, August 06, 2004, 10:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw

I'll have to post pictures when I get this thing together.

Want a dust collection system for the shop to keep the wife off of my backside.  Between her keeping me poor and me being cheap to begin with, I started reading up on this stuff.  It is interesting, let me tell you.

A few months ago, I built a couple of blowers using some ideas off of a website.  I used 1/2 MDF and some valley tin to make the body, made the impeller out of 1/2 birch ply with 1/4" luan vanes.  I then found a couple of 1/2 hp electric motors out of washing machines, modified the pulley so I could bolt the impeller on it.  Was very careful to keep impellers balanced, and it seems to have worked out pretty well.  Did have some initial problems trying to figure out how to really mount the motors on, will eventually have to build real mounts when they get mounted horizontally, but for right now found a pretty cool and simple way.  Wires broke, bungie cords didn't hold the motor down tight enough...but Liquid Nails was "just right"  We'll see how long it will take the stress.  

So far both have run for an hour without reverting to multiple pieces, but that was before the LN "motor mount".  I've got the input necked down for 4" flex hose, which is keeping the motor from being overstressed, but it will still move enough air to suck a rag off of my workbench that was a ways away from the end of the hose.  Caught it before it got all the way in, thank you big drill.

The really  cool part is that the guy that owns the land I've been cutting on has a half dozen wooden crates in his front yard.  How do you spell "airbox".  I've gotta go ask him what new toy he got anyway.  Now I just need a big trash can and to run a 220 out to the shop if I''m gonna run both of them.

It'll be ugly, but it will be cheap, and it will move a ton of air.  Enough for the local run set-up I'll use anyway...for a while.

DanG, this is fun.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

sprucebunny

That sounds like something Red Green would build except his contraptions don't always work.I love ingenuity!!! Sure hope you all know who Red Green is. My hero!!  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Quartlow

Dust collection, one more iron thats been in my fire for months. along with a sawdust blower. hmmmmmm I do have that 18 hp magnum thats not doing anything :o
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Rocky_J

Can you fit some chicken wire or something over the intake to keep from losing rags or large tools (or body parts?) into the intake? I imagine it could put a whompin' on the motor if a rag got sucked in and wrapped up on the impeller blades.

oldsaw

but this will be a two stage system.  The other stage was,and will eventually probably be a cyclone.  The poor man with no time's version will be a big 30-35 gallon trash can with an input and outlet in the lid.  That'll catch the big chunks and make cleaning easy.

I may have to put a 4" outlet in my router table.  I was edging some of my oak tonight and filled my little shop vac pretty quick.  I mean it was packed tight.  A little more airflow won't hurt it either.

Getting a little excited about this thing now.  Doing a little re-arranging in the garage/shop to allow for wood storage, and to get both cars in.  Have you ever heard of anything so dumb.  Who puts two cars in a two car garage?  But I will work it out so I can.

Have a good weekend guys.

oldsaw

8)  And I'm a happy, stylin', guy.  System works flawlessly, has run for two hours straight without the motor being uncomfortably warm.  Liquid Nails motor mount is holding up well, but I notice it does get soft when the motor gets warm.

This thing will suck up everything that little planer will throw at it.  I've filled the drum twice, and the only catch I have is that I will have to put a handle on the bottom, and maybe one on the side to empty it.  Scooping it out is dusty work.

For you cheapskates out there.  The bag was on a closeout table for $20, the hose was $40, there is $10 worth of PVC, $10 in the motor.  Everything else was stuff I had lying around.

For you real cheapskates, notice the heavy duty support under the blower...that's one of the boxes that the vac hose came in.  I'm going to build something, but couldn't wait to try it out.  Blower is as smooth as glass once I harnessed it down a bit with the dust collection stuff.  Earlier vibrations were all air turbulence in the housing.  Kind of suspected as much, but was hoping so even more.

DanG, it feels good to make something that works, and keeps me out of the doghouse too.

rbarshaw

I like it. You do things the way I do, use what's layin around and spend as little as possible. Thanks for the idea, I'll have to try it myself.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

sprucebunny

That's great!! Glad it all worked.
WHAT? No duct tape??!! ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

oldsaw

I said it was homemade, what else would I use....sheesh!

Insinuating that I wouldn't use duct tape on a homebrew project :D...and I thought you were a nice guy ;).  Even baling wire was used in the process. 8)

The world is held together with duct tape...at least mine is.

J_T

Since I heard my name thought I better respond Way to go 8). After I got rid my scrap yard I go to my buddy's all the free motors I want. I still got some big blowers off a cotton picker I converted into a forklift will make sompthing out of them someday.
Jim Holloway

Brian_Bailey

oldsaw,  

Nice job!  8)

It sure is a great feeling when something you've made actually works as planned.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Buzz-sawyer

Now thats what Im talkin bout!!!
$30 buck , some elbow grease and .....whoomp there it is :D
Only thing If I built it I would of tried to get the parts for free LOL
My moto is , "I make money every time I use it...cause it was free or cheap" 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

wiam

How is this working now?  At what angles are the vanes?  I think I can find most of the parts around the farm somewhere. ;D ;D

Will

DanG

Well, since we ain't heard from him in 2 weeks, maybe Oldsaw is finding his parts around the farm somewhere, too. ;) :D :D

Seriously, though, congrats on a project well done, Oldsaw! 8) 8)  Ain't it great when a plan comes together? ;D

Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy! ;) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

oldsaw

this was an "experiment" more than anything.  I need more HP, and more RPM, but don't know if I trust the assembly to spin at 3450.  I ran some calculations on the force the vanes would see, and just kind of chickened out.  Don't want the thing to frag on me.

It works perfectly with my planer though, which was what I wanted.  Will probably work fine with my router table too when I modify that.  Ultimately I will end up buying a real DC, but this is a whole heck of a lot better than nothing.  Wish I had a 220 line running into my garage, then I could run both of my blowers and probably do real well.

Any more questions, just ask.

It's been far enough back that I have to think about it.  I'm not sure where I stuck all my notes.  Hopefully the wife didn't "file" them.

Thank You Sponsors!