iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please ID this Yard Tree...

Started by PC-Urban-Sawyer, November 19, 2014, 01:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I have a tree in my front yard that I need to ID.

It was present when we moved here in 1995.  At that time the tree was three feet tall and about two inches diameter a few inches above the ground. It looked stunted and I thought it was going to die.

We had several pines in the front yard at that time but they got removed shortly afterward during a parking lot construction project, long story...

I pruned about 1/3 of the little tree's branches and the dang thing just started growing big time. It's now 14" DBH and approximately 35' tall.

This is a photo of the tree in early spring (Feb 09) before any leaves have emerged. The tree is covered with pollen strings, similar to those on many oaks.

This photo is a close up of the pollen strings in early March of this year.

This photo is from ten days later and shows the pollen strings and some immature leaves emerging.

This is a profile shot of the whole tree in late fall (Nov 2014).

These are leaves from the tree in late fall.

This photo is of the trunk, showing the bark.

This tree does not seem to develop acorns or any other kind of nut or fruit.

Anybody want to help me ID this tree?

Herb

WDH

It think that it might be Quercus acutissima, sawtooth oak.  An import from SE Asia. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PC-Urban-Sawyer

@WDH

Danny,

The only reason I would question that ID is the lack of acorns.  The article I found on Wikipedia indicates the sawtooth oak is a prolific producer of acorns...

If it is Quercus acutissima would that classified as a red or white oak?

Herb

WDH

A red oak, I believe.  It is surely supposed to be a prolific acorn producer.  Do you have a pic of the buds at the end of the twig? 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

curdog

It does look like sawtooth oak. I know a guy down the road from me who planted some along the edge of his pines next to a pasture,  and his don't produce acorns either. I'd say they are a red oak as well, the tips of the leaves are pointed and the acorn cap wraps across most of the acorn.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on November 20, 2014, 08:23:34 PM
A red oak, I believe.  It is surely supposed to be a prolific acorn producer.  Do you have a pic of the buds at the end of the twig?

I'll try to get a good pic of the buds tomorrow...

bitternut

Your tree looks exactly like the ones that I have planted in the Souther Tier of NY and at the south shore of Lake Ontario. I believe it to be the same as mine " Sawtooth Oak".

Mine in the Southern Tier have been a big disappointment due to the fact that they often suffer from spring frosts and bear no acorns and often have to produce a second set of leaves after freezing. The few times that they have borne acorns the bears made a mess out of many of them getting the acorns. Blue Jays also are relentless in carrying the acorns far and wide which I suppose might be a good thing for regeneration.

My trees along the shore of the lake produce acorns every year. I suspect that you have seen no acorns due to the fact that you only have one tree. Plant another one nearby and I bet you will soon have lots of acorns. Yes they are a red oak and do grow fast. You should see tiny little acorns on the twigs in the winter which will develop the second year. They sure hang on to their leaves, often till new ones are produced the next spring.

Autocar

Just my opinion but I don't think it is a saw tooth. What I call a saw tooth has a slinder leaf but has real definded saw like edges on the leaf
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!