iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The "Blizzard" of the...

Started by HiTech, November 18, 2014, 07:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

century is supposedly coming. 2 to 3 feet of snow and up to 4 feet of snow before it is all said and done. If that is true then getting around the woods will be a real chore. So far we may have 5 or 6 inches of snow total, but right now it is not doing anything. They have the whole county I live in closed down...schools, etc. Even a military installation. If what they predict does hit it will be nasty. Good day to stay next to the wood stove. lol I guess what they got in the midwest is coming here.

sprucebunny

When is this going to happen ???

I don't see much to be excited about on the NOAA weather.

My plow truck ( ya, the one with only 65k miles on a diesel...) just died so I'm not ready.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dave Shepard

I think I heard Buffalo got 3 feet last night. Of course that isn't really a blizzard out that way. Just a dusting. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CCC4

Y'all can keep that up there! It's 11* this morning and we can't get anything started...tried to jump the skidder off my Toyota...not happening! My dash lights went to shutting on and off...radio was turning on and off. I bailed on that idea before I had a meltdown of my truck.

You Northern fellas stay safe up there!!

thecfarm

sprucebunny,we,you too,are going to miss it. Or that's what I have been seeing. Seem like some votec has came down into the states.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Hitech I hope your just joking  ;D   I haven't heard any thing like that here when is it going to get you

Southside

Yup - news is reporting 4 to 5 feet of lake effect snow up there - man oh man, I was going to post a photo of our fields just to rub it in, seriously guys stay warm and safe up that way, I hope this is just a freak thing and not any idea of what the winter is going to be like, supposed to be in the low teens here tonight and tomorrow. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Skidder Kev

we are lucky we are missing it, but sounds like buffalo is going to get hammered.   You know it's bad when they are mesuring it in FEET not inches.  stay safe for those that are caught in it and those that are helping clear the snow. 

Kev

SliverPicker

During the winter of 2001/2002 Mass City, Michigan got 98 inches in 24 hours a few days before Christmas.  Mass City is just a wide spot in the road so the snowfall never got recorded in any official records.  I drove through Mass (as we call it) that year on December 23rd.  There was about 3 inches of wet nasty snow on the ground.  I drove through again on December 26th. Houses and businesses where invisible from the road.  It was flat out unbelievable. The straight-cut snowbanks where over 10 feet high.  I was driving back to Colorado then. I had the radio on non stop to try to catch an official account of the snowfall. Finally as I was passing through some town in Iowa NPR did a little 10 second blurb on the snow in Mass.  That is how I found out it was 98 inches. During the same 24 hour period Buffalo, New York had gotten something like 40 inches and that was an international story.  Poor Mass City went without recognition.
Yooper by trade.

chevytaHOE5674

SliverPicker that's the way it always is. Western UP will get 4 feet of snow and nobody ever hears about it...

We have between 2 and 4 feet of snow on the ground out in the woods with more falling hourly and it really speeds up production. Only thing is it makes getting log trucks in and our more of a pain.

SliverPicker

Yeah.  Two feet of snow overnight in places like Rockland, Greenland, up the Norwich or in the Keweenaw and no one even talks about it.  Its just normal.

Where are you logging at right now? 
Yooper by trade.

chevytaHOE5674

Up towards Herman. Snow is real deep (5' in places) and the hills are steep. Keeps you on your toes.

sawguy21

Talked to a customer in Niagara Falls today, her brother lives in Ft Erie across the river from Buffalo. He saw no snow yet the south side of the city was getting hammered. ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

Just saw on the news that right by the lake, 1" of snow.  Fifteen miles east (Buffalo?), 48-50"!  Drove through one of those (trying to outrun it!) back in '77.  Ended up driving 5 hours (east) riding the leading foot of snow all the way.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

HiTech

Quote from: coxy on November 18, 2014, 12:23:31 PM
Hitech I hope your just joking  ;D   I haven't heard any thing like that here when is it going to get you
It hit last night here at home. A few miles away got hammered all day. I haven't been out to see what we got yet but there is snow out there. Supposed to get more today. With the Lake Effect if you are in the band then you get hammered...a few miles away the sun maybe shinning. I know the wind howled all night so it probably drifted in many places.

coxy

feel sorry for you    they finely put it on the news late last night hope everyone is ok up there     I know a guy on here from AZ that would love to take the snow he says its to hot out there for him :D :D :D

Kodiakmac

Yup, we ducked it.  But I guess you poor buggers just south of us are due for some pretty intense "climate change"!   :D

There is one consolation though - we never seem to get as much as the catastrophe predictors on TV say we're going to get.

Our typical TV news broadcast goes like this: "The Ottawa Valley is bracing itself for a major winter blast which, by the time it is finished, could bury the region in up to 50 centimeters of snow".

I just turn to my wife and say, "don't know why they don't say that it could leave a hundred centimeters." 
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

SliverPicker

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on November 18, 2014, 09:42:40 PM
Up towards Herman. Snow is real deep (5' in places) and the hills are steep. Keeps you on your toes.

Herman's got some pretty tough terrain.  Keep the rubber/track side down.  You could drown in 5' of snow. :D
Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

Early skiing in the UP is going to be grand this year!!  I have been to Indianhead in years where they have had to make snow just be open by Thanksgiving, and that was only on a few runs. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

KyLogger

I bet you yankees have 6' high stumps all over the place come summer!  :D

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

SliverPicker

The Porkies has set an opening date of December 12th.  They could be open right now, but aren't.  Growing up I can only remember the Porkies being open for Thanksgiving two or three times. Remember they have no snowmaking.  You're right it should be a good year for skiing up there!
Yooper by trade.

timberlinetree

Yikes this is bad! 5 dead from storm!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

thecfarm

That is sad to see,the deaths and the snow. The wildlife must be having a hard time too. Too much snow in such a short time.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

Wow that's a lot of snow! I hope we don't get hammered like that here this winter. Very sad too hear about the people that lost there lives
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!