iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weekend woodshop

Started by hackberry jake, November 17, 2014, 08:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

The cold weather made an excellent weekend to build a shop fire and work on projects.

My brother has one son that desperately needs a toy box and his wife and my wife are both pregnant as well so we decided to make three toy boxes.

The dimensions will be 20" x 20" x 40" so we started by cutting all of the lumber into 41" long pieces to make handling easier.

I then jointed two faces

We then ripped the boards down to 5" wide. This is the first time I have got to use the feeder and it was pretty nice! Safer too I'm sure.

We then planed all the lumber (didnt get any pictures of that) and here is the finished stack of lumber.

I then built a boxjoint jig for the tablesaw and that was a pretty good stopping point.

The next day we made some trim for a friends new house remodel out of walnut. Just rectangular door trim and the base trim just got sent through the tablesaw with the blade at 45 drgrees to knock off one corner. It looks pretty good! I like woodshop weekends  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

The box joints will be a nice touch. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

I like learning from your projects! you have some nice toys in your shop also!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

hackberry jake

Its been one of those days. I layed in bed for an hour and couldnt get to sleep so I got up and went out to the shop. I started working on mounting the lid on one of the toy boxes and I turned around to get a clamp to hold the toybox onto the jointer. Before I got back with the clamp the toybox fell off the jointer and busted the freshly sanded and mounted lid into three pieces.

Should've just stayed inside and twiddled my thumbs I guess.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

well....That's why Franklin sells glue . You will get her patched up in no time . Cool pics .....Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Bill Gaiche

With that glue Rob mentioned and a little TLC, you will have that lid back good as new. bg

yukon cornelius

if you can build it you can rebuild it, I always say.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

woodworker9

I know exactly how you feel.  I recently went temporarily brain dead in the shop, and walked away from an upper on a built in job that was sitting on it's lower cabinet, but not secured.  I had the stained glass doors and transom installed and everything.  It was complete, and ready for disassembly and finish.  $15K job, and everything shattered, and the trim work got smashed to H  E double toothpicks............. :'( :'( :'(

It gets better. 
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

WDH

Jake,

I hate it when that happens.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

At least the the box joints held tight.  8)

hackberry jake

The toy boxes are finally finished

We will screw on the other two name plates when we have names for them. Arlin dean is the only child out of the womb so far. :-)

thecfarm

Nice picture of the first born.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

You are going to need a whack of toys for those toy boxes.  Better get started on making some wooden ones.  Those are beautiful chests toy boxes.

What is that stickered in the back of the shop?

Larry

Jakes Toy Box & Cedar Chest Company.  Looking good. 

I think that space under the top is a great idea.  Makes for a attractive handle and also is an excellent safety feature for the kids.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WOW HACK......Thats something to be proud of! Nice Cedar chest too.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

Thanks guys. And thats walnut flooring in the back of the shop. It isnt stickered... each layer is perpendicular to the next.

tule peak timber

Great looking chests . Hand me downs for future generations. :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

coalsmok

Those are some good looking toy chests.

WDH

It looked walnuty back there. 

samandothers

Danny may be getting older today but he has quite the eye!

Peter Drouin

Nice job, All my kids are gone with their toy boxes too. ;D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Buck

My experience with younguns and toy boxes resemble the pic with the little fella inside. My boys would get inside and throw everything out to play with the box. ::)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

pineywoods

Your post implies that you built all 4 over a weekend. Dang, you are quick  ;D
I just finished 2 similar size out of cherry and that took me the better part of 2 weeks
Nice, cedar makes nice chests. What finish ?/
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

Quote from: pineywoods on December 30, 2014, 11:33:01 AM
Your post implies that you built all 4 over a weekend. Dang, you are quick  ;D
I just finished 2 similar size out of cherry and that took me the better part of 2 weeks
Nice, cedar makes nice chests. What finish ?/
definately took longer than a weekend! Mainly just worked on them one day each weekend and it took close to a month. Polyurethane for the finish. I wanted something tough. I was tempted to use a oil finish though. Quick and easy.

Thank You Sponsors!