iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of wood is this ?

Started by Bruno of NH, November 16, 2014, 02:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Hi Folks,
My friend brought over 3 logs for me to mill on Saturday morning.
It was cold and windy in the lower 30's.
He wanted it sawn all live edge.
What kind of wood is this?
Thanks Jim / Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

It was very heavy and sawed hard with a 7 degree band.
Thanks Jim
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Don't know your Oak species where you live but sure looks like a type of Oak.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Don't know your Oak species where you live but sure looks like a type of Oak.

rwepinetree

SILVERTOOTH

Everything about it looks like butternut, but butternut is quite soft and light.

red oaks lumber

looks more like a hickory or pecan. first thought white oak but, bark didn't quite look right
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

GAB

Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 16, 2014, 05:40:11 PM
looks more like a hickory or pecan. first thought white oak but, bark didn't quite look right

I think it is bitternut hickory also called smooth bark hickory.
My experience is it saws hard.  I have gotten as few as 3 cuts with a new or resharpened blade (ReSharp).
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

cutterboy

The wood looks like hickory but the bark does not. At least the bark does not look like that of a shagbark hickory. Here is some shagbark hickory I sawed.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

drobertson

It does look like some sort of nut tree, hickory type as mentioned, the severely angled limb knots resemble a hickory type. Now cutterboys looks like handle stock! man that is straight grained!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Red oaks is right.  It is hickory. 

If you don't believe me, look at the parenchyma in the latewood.  It will be apotracheal  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Dan

Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

WDH

Tree Dan,

You obviously don't believe me  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WDH on November 16, 2014, 09:20:15 PM

If you don't believe me, look at the parenchyma in the latewood.  It will be apotracheal  :D.

Another sesquipedalian diagnosis from Dr. WDH. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MSSawmill

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 16, 2014, 09:45:29 PM

Another sesquipedalian diagnosis from Dr. WDH. :D
Ummm... Yeah! Exactly what these two said. My thoughts exactly!  :)
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

look at the parenchyma in the latewood.  It will be apotracheal  :D.

:P

JoeB

5quarter

WDH...you know, I was doubting you, so I took a closer look at the parenthesis in the late wood and it was severely apocryphal, just like you said.

Poston...looking at picture books ain't gonna help ya figure that one out.  ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SwampDonkey

Wow, that shagbark sure makes nice lumber. ;D

I was thinking hickory for the original post as well. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

sesquipedalian?

Now that is good  ;D. 

red oaks lumber

you guys and them big words make my head spin :) everytime danny texts me some big word i have to google it to even get in the right parking lot let alone the ball park :D :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 17, 2014, 08:04:30 AM
sesquipedalian?

Now that is good  ;D.

I love it when Y'all talk dirty.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dave Shepard

Hey, it wasn't me that suggested looking up someones parenchyma!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!