iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawed Some Nice Cherry

Started by WDH, November 15, 2014, 09:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I hate it when ROL wakes up from a nap!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

No problem that I see with overlapping stickers.
Another alternative is butt the short ones end to end.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Quote from: beenthere on November 19, 2014, 08:42:58 PM

But then, the stickers would stick out, and I would still get scolded  :D.   You can't have your stickers sticking out  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 19, 2014, 08:51:12 PM

You can't have your stickers sticking out  :).

:D :D :D

red oaks lumber

i'm wearing out my delete button :D :D :D

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WDH on November 19, 2014, 08:51:12 PM

But then, the stickers would stick out, and I would still get scolded  :D.   You can't have your stickers sticking out  :).

Who would ever say anything about that? Oh, never mind... :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WmFritz

Well Danny, I guess I should take this opportunity to fess up.
I too am a short sticker stacker. I try to avoid it, but sometimes I run out of full grown stickers, so if I don't use short stickers, my stacks will be sticker shy.   smiley_curtain_peek
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Dave Shepard

I put as much effort into making stickers as I do sawing the lumber, maybe more. If the stickers are poor, then the lumber is doomed from the beginning. Also, having uniform sticker lengths ensures nobody builds a 66" wide stack when you only have 48" long forks on the forklift. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

ROL how do you know that I didn't just paint my forks? Since I didn't have to do any of the stacking with stickers I don't have anything to say about how the sticking was done.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 20, 2014, 07:35:28 AM
You just stick to sawing  :D.

I see now who wears the skirt in Georgia.  ;D

red oaks lumber

i just got a visual of jake wearing a skirt with a cowboy hat :D :D
sorry jake i threw you under the bus that the goat was driving ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

blade69001

y'all crack me up,
Thanks for the laughs this morning.

Jake make sure you tell them that it is a Kilt not a skirt.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

goose63

This is better than the Sunday morning funny's page :Ds like the truck you old goat 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

red oaks lumber

come on goat i'm losing bladder control :D :D :D

Busy Beaver Lumber

Very Nice WDH. Cherry is one of my favorite woods to work with
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodjunky

Those boards are inspiring. I have a few cherry that get about 12" dia or so for the best 8'log. But they dont have any cherries on them ever... Then I have some huge......basswood? Im new to this. But recently i was out there and looked up to see tons of small cherry sized balls up in the large basswood still. So assumed they were basswood seed leaf things that just stuck... But the trees are bald with no leaves?... To add to the mystery, I could have SWORN a few of these big basswood's were maples this fall when the leaves were on. Now Im a rookie, But I can tell a maple from a basswood leaf... My head is spinning...So THEN lol... I was looking at the biggest tree on the property. A massive basswood that leans at a 45 degree angle. Grew that way. Trunk is maybe 16 feet and is 30" at the tip i bet. Stump is gnarly. I noticed it had a smoother looking bark than the others. But same berries. Way up there so i cant see detail... The thinner textured bark has red tints to it. pinkish i would say... I was told Cherry doesnt get that big. And my cherry trees backed that up. But...............Berries.........pink tint...........After seeing these monsters of yours, I wonder could they be??? Maybe the mature Cherry trees only bear fruit and the 12" diameter arent producing yet?

I cant find (admin edit) on the internet about variations of old growth black cherry bark, vs what we call mature trees today. Old growth trees change apearance just like smooth young black cherry to the black flakey mature. The little bark i can see from your giant cherry has a different look but i cant see details... And the cherries themselves. Did you guys remember seeing berries way up in those monster black cherries after the leaves had fallen off?

I have pictures now that I think about it, from this fall..... I will post them on the tree id section in a bit here.

Any of you cherry pickers have any insight without pictures?

beenthere

"Cherry"'s don't stay hanging on the trees after the leaves fall, I don't believe. ;)

Here is basswood link, and shows the basswood fruit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia

How about those pics. Good clear pics of the bark would help, with something in the pic for scale.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodjunky

I uploaded a pic with my lovely wife in it, in the identification forum. Under big basswood? :)

Dang google shows all sorts of black cherries :)

woodjunky

Quote from: beenthere on November 24, 2014, 03:18:41 PM
"Cherry"'s don't stay hanging on the trees after the leaves fall, I don't believe. ;)

Here is basswood link, and shows the basswood fruit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia

How about those pics. Good clear pics of the bark would help, with something in the pic for scale.

Here is a pic of the big one leaning one with smoother looking bark.

My wife to get a bit of a scale. She stumbled as i took the pic.
This second pick is the more common looking (basswood?)

beenthere

woodjunky
Go to your post, and click on "Modify". 

Just click on the line below "Click here to add Photos to post" and a new window will pop up, then click on "My Gallery" to get to your pics. Click on the one you want in your post and SCROLL down the page to where it tells you a couple easy ways to get your pic in your post. Click "Preview" before "Post" to see how your pic fits. Should be good to go.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!