iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some American history help

Started by DonT, November 15, 2014, 07:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

My daughter has an essay she is doing for an American history course.The topic is "why is the American civil war considered the first modern war".She is looking at things like the advancement of medical care, advancements in weapons,and tactics. Can anyone give her any other ideas or concepts. It is not a topic that we as Canadians tend to study a lot.   thx DonT

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Reddog

This link does a good job of describing the criteria used.  http://www.aeragon.com/03/

Delawhere Jack

Self contained metallic cartridges. First successful use of submarines in warfare. Iron clad warships. First use of repeating rifles. News of battles sent by telegraph.

clww

Don't forget photographs and the use of telegrams. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OntarioAl

Al Raman

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 15, 2014, 11:52:57 PM
Believe it or not...its in the news.

WWI Military Goat remains found.

I've heard it ALL now!  A goat blog?

C'mon.    ???

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WmFritz

From the comments though...

Anonymous said...
"that most noble and sagacious of creatures"

Are these specially bred 'cause each of our standard model civlian goats are dumber than a box of rocks. ;-)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

DonT

Wow    Thanks for all the great input.It has helped a lot.

Chuck White

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 15, 2014, 11:49:13 PM
aerial observation

Yup, What I heard was that they used tethered balloons to see what was going on over the hill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kevin19343

Don't tell him anything!!!!

Those danged nosy Canadians are just trying to steal our secrets again.

WmFritz

Quote from: kevin19343 on November 19, 2014, 04:22:18 PM
Don't tell him anything!!!!

Those danged nosy Canadians are just trying to steal our secrets again.

puck-smiley
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

reswire

Most historians will also say that the war "changed" the United States entirely.  Before the war, we were a rag-tag assemblage of states with independent currency, independent laws, practically countries unto themselves.  Citizens pledged their allegiance to their state first, country second.  After the war, state's rights were forever second to federal law.   Also, new federal income taxes were put in place, other heavy burdens were placed upon the states by a newly empowered federal government, and the thought of secession was buried forever.  We were now one country, indivisible forever, for better or for worse.  The war made us the modern America we are today.  When we think of "modern" warfare, we think of nation building (for better or worse).  This is precisely what the civil war did to the United States.  It redefined us.     
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Thank You Sponsors!