iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt40 engine stalling at full rpms

Started by Scott Mc, November 15, 2014, 06:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Mc

Hello all. This is my first post. I recently came across a 92' lt40hd sawmill with onan 24 hp engine. The mill has been sitting unused and neglected for the last 15 years or so. After a lot of work and visits to this forum, I got her running great! I recently replaced all the belts and throttle cable along with the spring that is hooked to the governor. Now when I engage the blade the engine runs for a few seconds then stalls out. It idles and starts fine. Only when I engage the blade does it stall. It was not doing this before I replaced the throttle cable and belts. Any  ideas?? Btw thanks for all the very helpful info so far!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The very first think I would do is take the blade off and engage the clutch and see what happens without a blade. It may not be the engine.
Its a start.  :)

Welcome to the FF Scott.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Welcome Scott. Same motor on my mill. Check the fuel filter first, it is normal to have some air in it, but the gas should rise up in the filter when you engage the throttle. Next would be the fuel bowl and jets on the carb. Search this forum for Onan carb. This has been a common occurrence. If it sat for a while there's probably gunk in the carb. If those two items don't resolve the issue, it may be the fuel pump.

Delawhere Jack

IIRC, the carb issue may be the float sticking.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tree Dan

Quote from: woodmills1 on November 15, 2014, 06:56:20 PM
junk in the carb

x 2 and maybe in the tank too....check all the fuel parts and clean them up good

Welcome to the FF Scott
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Magicman

Sounds like the folks familiar with your engine are dealing with your problem, so I will just add my Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Scott Mc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slider

I had this happen more than once on my last onan and it was always the main jet.How stuff could get past the filter baffled me but it did.Welcome to the form.
al glenn

Andries

Welcome, and the advice you've got so far is spot on.
I own and operate the same year and model mill. It took me a while to work out the kinks (past neglect an' abuse) but she now runs like a champ.
The carb is suspect one, however the air filter and pre-cleaner can be an issue too. Depends on what you've been milling, but recently dust from dry Western Red Cedar had clogged up the air intake a lot faster than other types of wood dust. My Onan was coughing and stalling due to starving for air.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress, k?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Brucer

Does the engine rev up to full speed before it stalls? It's possible that your throttle cable isn't adjusted quite right. The engine should accelerate to sawing speed before the drive belt is fully tightened. This is quick to check and easy to fix.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Scott Mc

Thank you all for your helpful advice. Luckily it was a simple fix. In the process of replacing all the fuel lines I had removed the gas tank and closed the small vent. I forgot to open it back up so the engine wasn't getting enough gas at full rpms. We are up and cutting for now!!! Next I will clean out the carb. It still doesn't cut as good as I think it can but it's great to get those first cuts in! I milled some beautiful pine the other day. Thanks again

Thank You Sponsors!