iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to make this cut????

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 15, 2014, 11:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They've started selling these small bonfire logs in my area.
The log looks like Birch.

I can't figure how they made the star cut into the log. Its not with a chainsaw, its to perfect.

However they did it, this is a hot item right now and these small bonfire logs are selling!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LaneC

How deep are they? It looks like probably a morticer may have done it, or maybe a router.
Man makes plans and God smiles

LaneC

Maybe even just setting a skil saw down on the log. With that wide of a cut, they may have a shim under the blade to make it wobble and give a bigger cut.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The cut goes down about 1/3 of the way.
I'm pretty sure I can do it with a chainsaw but these cuts look perfect.

fishpharmer

I looked at the website for more info.  Nothing about manufacturing.  Amazingly, its patent pending.  A log with a unique sawcut say_what materhead

http://essay-group.com/products-page/ecoforest/light-n-go-bonfire-log-2/

http://youtu.be/FwsZMHRzTW0
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Watching your video, I'm wondering if the center has been soaked in some type of oil?

fishpharmer

May just have some wax poured in the cuts.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Dave Shepard

I looked at those recently. The one I looked at it was a chainsaw cut, but I'm sure it was machine guided. I think those are originally known as Swedish candles, and have been around a long time. You can make your own in a few seconds with a chainsaw. Normally, the cuts would go down the sides almost to the bottom. Some wax or other fuel is often poured in the middle to get it burning.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Maybe a good technique to try for burning out stumps.

Depth a third of the way, would put them at about 4" ??

Get one and split it open so we can see the bottom of the cut and how it may have been made.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

If I was going to make a heap I'd be mating up an electric chainsaw and a drill press, with a rotating table to clamp and index the log.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LaneC

I would bet on a morticer machine they use for mortises in timberframing. Makita makes them as well as others. They are pretty pricey.

LaneC

Go to you tube and type in" chain mortise tips" Jim Rodgers has a video of using one. I know it is on a beam, but you could probably keep turning it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ianab on November 15, 2014, 02:56:32 PM
If I was going to make a heap I'd be mating up an electric chainsaw and a drill press, with a rotating table to clamp and index the log.

I thought about that Ian.....but would the chain still kick?

roghair

As Dave says, these are Swedish candles. There is no need to cut them like that, you can cut down over the whole radius. They are very popular here in The Netherlands and sell for about $ 5 (60 for $ 300  :) ) I saw them as little presents and use red pine with a lot of resin. The jig I made works OK, but needs some modification in grabbing the log with the spikes.

built a sawmill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Roghair, do you put any kind of burning oil in the cracks?

Would it be easier to saw the grooves while its still a log and after the grooves are sawn, saw off a 16" length or whatever short log?

red

Dave I have a special tool for you
Today's Special $300
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

POSTON WIDEHEAD

roghair

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 15, 2014, 05:12:57 PM
Roghair, do you put any kind of burning oil in the cracks?
I drill a hole for a firelighter, most of the time that works fine. The grooves give a good ventilation (venturi), which might be less with the cut you were asking for in your OP. They probably use some kind of oil.

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 15, 2014, 05:12:57 PM
Would it be easier to saw the grooves while its still a log and after the grooves are sawn, saw off a 16" length or whatever short log?
I am not very good with the CS, so for me it would be more difficult making these cuts in an horizontal log. As you can see in the picture, cutting it square from the log is also a challenge...
built a sawmill

Buck

Another name I've seen is Stump Stove. As I recall the cuts were criss crossed and a hole for air flow bored in the bottom.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Brad_bb

Maybe they used a morticer with a slotting chain attachment?

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

First time I've seen one of these Brad. Of course I've never seen a sow blower.  :D

Thanks of the pic. I think this is what Ian may have been talking about.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 16, 2014, 02:30:16 PM
Of course I've never seen a sow blower.  :D
Don't  think I have either, in spite of a fair amount of time on the farm,  what is it?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

That thing would have to have a hog of a motor on it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on November 16, 2014, 04:38:54 PM

Y'all can kiss my Grits...all ya had to say was I misspelled "snow".....but NO.....
ya got a go and Pig Out on me!  >:(

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 16, 2014, 08:16:04 PM
Quote from: customsawyer on November 16, 2014, 04:38:54 PM

Y'all can kiss my Grits...all ya had to say was I misspelled "snow".....but NO.....
ya got a go and Pig Out on me!  >:(

:D :D :D :D :D :snowman: popcorn_smiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!