iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Peterson meets it's Match

Started by Qweaver, November 14, 2014, 11:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

A customer brought me a hickory log to saw into a 6.5 x 6.5 x 27' beam. It was 16" to 9" dia.  I had my doubts but we mounted it on the Peterson and I tried.  Just can't be done.  Had it been dead straight...maybe. I did get two sides sawn and there was just no way to finish the other two cuts. We moved it to the WM and finished the other two cuts by sliding the cant back and forth.  That worked fine except that the cant warped a lot with each cut.
I won't try that again.  I've sawn several Hickory logs but none have moved as much as this one.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sawdusty1

I feel your pain.  I am through sawing hickory.  I use it only for firewood.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

hackberry jake

Hickory isn't too bad in shorter lengths, but I too have had tension issues with long hickory. It does make really good firewood...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Herb Brooks

YellowHammer

Unfortunately, I sell a good deal of hickory, so I have to saw it to sell it.  But its not fun, and I don't mill 27 footers...
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mikeb1079

hickory can definitely be nasty when it comes to tension and drying issues   :(

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

customsawyer

I have had some 40' hickory logs/cants move so much I wasn't sure I would be able to keep them on the mill. Since I have hyd. toe board rollers on both the mill and the ext. I just raise up the far end to start the cut and then when I am half way down the log I lower it and raise the close end.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dgdrls

My favorite photo of log tension this is eucalyptus :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Stand it up and put a deer blind on top of it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I once had a customer ask me to square (12X12) a 20' Poplar and then saw him four 6X6's.  He would not/did not listen when I told him that it would not work.  Guess what, it did not work and looked very similar to dgdrls' picture above.  Curled up like a banana peel.  Did I scale it?  Yes I did.  $$
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

That's what we do,,  the worst hickory I (tried) to saw, was a 12' 22" got the four face slabs off, seemingly no issues, thinking this ain't so bad,, when I went for the q-saw pattern cuts, it got bad, never made it through.  So bad, I had to get the 4" grinder to cut the blade out,  it was an ugly afternoon,  memory serves me, I was in the sun as well, during the summer. Lots of mumbling going on :D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Herb Brooks

I was wrong. Pecan is Devil wood.  But ain't pecan and hickory cousins?

Magicman

Double First Cousins at that.   :-\

Qweaver

I have sawed hickory that did make reasonable boards...pretty too.  That was not the case with these.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

WDH

Herb, they are both in the genus Carya, and they are both the  smiley_devil  :).

Ernie

Quote from: dgdrls on November 15, 2014, 06:20:03 PM
My favorite photo of log tension this is eucalyptus :o

Big mistake trying to mill most eucs when they are dry.  The only way I manage it is to mill as soon as they hit the ground even then I get quite a few curves.  My mill is a twin saw so it seems to work better that a single blade but I have no idea why.  I have also heard that if you aren't going to mill immediately it is a good idea to weight them down in a pond until you get the chance to cut.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!