iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st Planing Job

Started by Fla._Deadheader, August 05, 2004, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

A while back, we resawed a bunch of Cypress. Now the guy wants it planed. How do Y'all charge, by the lineal foot or the board foot???

The pieces are around 6" wide X 6 feet long. He also needs them bull-nosed. We have a cheap Router table. I plan on grinding a bit to do the edges in 1 pass each side ??? Comments ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodbeard

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=drying;action=display;num=1083376297

I just looked this thread up myself, as I just finished planing about 500bf of cedar for a neighbor. I charged him $60, thinking $20/hr. I figured it was a low price, but he helps me out quite a bit.

Curlywoods

Depending upon your planer and amount of wood you are processing, anywhere from $0.20 to $0.35 per bf is common (the more lumber planed,  the lower the charge per bf)
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Fla._Deadheader

Maybe I should have added that the pieces are just needing cleaned up; very light cut and only 1 side. ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

sawwood

Fla-Deadheader i charge 30 cents a BF. I don't matter how
 much i plane off its still 30 cents a BF.

Sawwood.
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Oregon_Sawyer

I get planning and moulding done by several different shops.  They all charge by lineal ft.  The price has ranged from .10 to .30 a lineal ft.  I get a little better price than what they quote to other customers.

The big shop I used to use wanted no less than 5,000 lineal ft.  They didnl't charge me a setup or a fee to change to a different width as long as the rest of the pattern was the same.

The second shop I use has a 200.00 minium and the last bill was for .12 ft for WRC 2x4 and 2x6 S4S with radius corners on all sides.

The third place I use normally charges $100.00 setup and $50 per size change.  The last job I had done was flooring and he charged me .12 for moulding and .08 for straightline.

Most places will charge you if they have to make knives for a new pattern.  You pay for the knives they own them.

Maybe I'll get my moulder up and going now that the house is done.  Hallelujah!!!!! ;D

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Gipper

Today, I also got my first request for planing for a customer.  I have read with interest what some of the responses are to FDH's question.  I also noticed in the previous thread referred to by woodbeard, that kedwards noted he would not plane for customers anything that was reclaimed or painted!  Is the painted part because of what might be under the paint, or does the paint itself damage the knives?  Some of these boards had paint on them.  Of course, if I decide to do it, they will be scanned first.  I'm leaning toward not doing it but it is an old friend from high school days nearly 40 years ago, and probably less than 200 linear feet of it.  I don't have a large commercial planer, so would not consider it on a regular basis. :-/

iain

i find that my planer dont cut paint but the wood under on the way up the knife's lift the paint off on the way out of the cut
but on the anther hand you never know whats under the paint your friend should agree to at least a resharp

woodbeard

Paint, especially older paint will dull the heck out of planer knives real quick.

Thank You Sponsors!