iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar Rot

Started by luvmexfood, November 13, 2014, 07:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Several of the poplar trees here on the farm are doing the samething. A rot is starting right where the tree meets the ground. Then the rot goes up through the center of the tree. Mainly trees that are in more of open areas and not in the "deep woods".

Now I think I remember reading somewhere on time about it being called cow dung disease but cant remember where or find anything about it.

Has anyone heard of this?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

beenthere

Are they on pastured land?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BBK

We had 50 or so acres of woodland fenced along with pasture in the 60's. Ran 100 or so head of feeder cattle there. In 1998 we clear cut the 50 acres of woods, mostly red oak. 90% ± of the trees we lost the first 10' - 15' to this type of decay. Funny thing was, I remember granddad hollering at pop when we fenced it that the cattle would "ruin the woods". Pop always  said he hated it when granddad was right!  :D
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

luvmexfood

Yes. Pasture along with wooded land. The ones that are in the wooded land that cows don't use the area are usually ok.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!