iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Synthetic oil in detroit

Started by jwilly3879, November 13, 2014, 07:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

Anyone running Synthetic oil in their Detroit. I usually run 15-40 Rotella in the winter but it gets pretty thick at low temperatures.

ga jones

Yep,the new 5-40 Mobil 1 egr diesel oil. It's low ash like sae 30.15/40 isn't good for detroits.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

David-L

1.0 is not low ash, .08 is recommended for two stroke detroits. How long have you been using this and is it a 453 you are running it in. going to be switching over oils tomorrow and wondering what everyone thinks of the full synthetic. Ran 15-40 Delvac 1300 Super last winter and seemed good. the synthetic is only $7 dollars more per gallon. Don't want to get to crazy, just get the most out of this motor. Even straight 30 wt seems thick at fifteen degrees. all you 53 series detroit guys please tell us what you are running in the colder temps please.
                                                                           David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

coxy

my dad run shell 15/40 for 30 years  and that's all I run   never had any trouble  dad even ran 15/40 in hid s10 truck and lawn mower  :laugh: :laugh:  oil is oil that was his saying

Maine logger88

I run delvac 15/40 in my 353 as well
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

Going again with the 1300 super Delvac mobil. It has a CF-2 recommendation and meets the ash requirement.

ga jones

David l where did u get that ash spec? This is from the mtu detroit sheet for 40wt oil. Unless I'm misunderstanding the spec is 1.0 max. Mobil one is .9

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Maine logger88

So your not supposed too pull ash with a Detroit  :D ;D
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

Mobil delvac is the only 15-40 low ash CF-2 rated oil I know that has that CF-2 classification. It's the 15-40 Delvac Super 1300. Here is a pic of a jug. I buy this in five gallon jugs for winter use and the mobil 1240HD for warm weather use. Great oil. This is an old one gallon jug that is for keepsake as they don''t put the CF-2 rating on it anymore, although the Mobil website recomends this for 2 stroke detroits.

David l

deastman

I've never had a Detroit but I've run Delvac 1  5w-40 synthetic in Cat, Cummins and Deere engines for 25 years and never had a problem. A couple years ago I switched to Citgo Syndurance 0w-30 synthetic because it's about half price compared to Mobil and the lower pour-point for cold weather. So far it's worked great, not sure if it would work in a Detroit.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

ga jones

I've made my decision based on comparing the numbers not the rating. The question was if anyone uses synthetic oil in a detroit. Yes Mobil 1 diesel pickup oil is what I use. In my opinion If it's good enough for these soot riddin high reving modern diesels it's good enough for my 1960s detroit.thats just me.

David-L

I would agree Ga Jones. These two strokes are good to go with ash under 1.0 . justgot to run them hard under load so they  don't wet stack.

ga jones

David, I bought a gallon of wolfs head 15/40 synthetic blend oil today for my 3406 cat engine and reading the back I noticed it was cf2 rated.

David-L

Good info, always nice to have options. I am not sure where I can get Wolfs Head around here but will take a look. I have heard that this is a good oil. ( Wolfs Head ) My saw dealer carries the Mobil and is very convienent and he is just as low priced as some of the chain stores.

David l

Thank You Sponsors!