iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just ordered a 038 super..

Started by Woodcutter_Mo, November 13, 2014, 03:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcutter_Mo

Hello, I just ordered a used Stihl 038 super for my dad as a Christmas gift. He had a 038 along time ago and said its his favorite saw he's had.
Its supposed to be in good working condition but I have no 1st hand experience with this model. Is there anything in particular I should check when it arrives to make sure its ready to go to work?

Thanks
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodcutter_Mo

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Al_Smith

From my perspective the 038 series was one of the best if not the best Stihl ever made .

If there is a weak link it would be the top left hand side anti vib mount .The rubber can tear away from the metal allowing the saws undercarriage to flex which will in time tear the intake boot causing an air  leak .It's about an 8 dollar part .

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 13, 2014, 07:49:54 PM
From my perspective the 038 series was one of the best if not the best Stihl ever made .

If there is a weak link it would be the top left hand side anti vib mount .The rubber can tear away from the metal allowing the saws undercarriage to flex which will in time tear the intake boot causing an air  leak .It's about an 8 dollar part .

OK I'll be sure to check that out. Thanks
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

joe_indi

If it is a used 038, there might be a chance of the con-rod bearing having some wear. This would cause the crankshaft(and the flywheel) to rotate a bit in advance in relation to the piston. IE the ignition timing gets advanced a bit. This is more evident when starting the saw. Since the 038 has no decompression valve, unless the starter is pulled hard/fast enough there could be a risk of recoil from a backfire. If this happens, you will need to file the holes of the ignition coil and move it a bit forward (in the direction of flywheel rotation) to retard it a bit.
Joe

Woodcutter_Mo

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

HolmenTree

Joe, how hard would it be to send a new MS380 from India to Canada?
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Woodcutter_Mo

Send 2, just install a 038 top cover and an old used bar and chain on them and then holmantree you can send one down here to  me in the US  :D.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

HolmenTree

joe_indi

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 14, 2014, 12:05:49 AM

I have no idea about the regulations. Sending a saw from India is not too complicated.But you receiving it there ? I dont know what are the regulations over there. There are no more 380s. Its 381 now. 52mm pistons, 72cc, decompression valve, and (sadly) no more Bings, only Zamas.But they still run the same as a 038 Magnum.
Retail price locally with 18" ES bar and chain is around INR. 45,000/- (that is about $.750/-)

HolmenTree

Thanks Joe for the reply, price sounds very reasonable but shipping costs might be another thing to worry about.
I mailed a MS200 to Tasmania a few years ago for $95 CDN and took about 3 months to get there, everything went well with no problems.
I'm going to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in a months time for a 2 week holiday and have seen Stihl dealer signs there. It's possible they sell the MS381 there, rather then buy a bunch of souveniors maybe I could bring a saw back in my luggage, of course claim the duty at customs because they always check our luggage before we board the plane.

SawTroll

Quote from: joe_indi on November 14, 2014, 01:39:33 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 14, 2014, 12:05:49 AM

I have no idea about the regulations. Sending a saw from India is not too complicated.But you receiving it there ? I dont know what are the regulations over there. There are no more 380s. Its 381 now. 52mm pistons, 72cc, decompression valve, and (sadly) no more Bings, only Zamas.But they still run the same as a 038 Magnum.
Retail price locally with 18" ES bar and chain is around INR. 45,000/- (that is about $.750/-)
The power specs actually has gone up a bit during the 038 Mag > MS380 > MS381 thingy, from 3.6kW to 3.9 - but I have no idea what's behind that...

Information collector.

celliott

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 14, 2014, 02:43:24 PM
Thanks Joe for the reply, price sounds very reasonable but shipping costs might be another thing to worry about.
I mailed a MS200 to Tasmania a few years ago for $95 CDN and took about 3 months to get there, everything went well with no problems.
I'm going to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in a months time for a 2 week holiday and have seen Stihl dealer signs there. It's possible they sell the MS381 there, rather then buy a bunch of souveniors maybe I could bring a saw back in my luggage, of course claim the duty at customs because they always check our luggage before we board the plane.

Mexico still has old edition 372xp's and 281xp's listed on there site. I think it was brazil that had new 288xp's?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

HolmenTree

Yes the Mexicans may in fact import their saws from Brazil . But I have seen Chinese counterfeit saws there too claimed to be Stihl MS360s

HolmenTree

I checked out Stihl Mexican websites and  see genuine Stihl's models such as MS 051, MS 076, MS 780, MS 381

CR888

I have been looking at a ms381 as they were sold her up until very recently and they were heavily discounted. I have a question for those who may know....Did they put spring AV on the updated MS381 or do they have rubber AV like the MS380?? Everyone who owned this series saw only says good things about them. I imagine no quad port engine but that don't bother me to much.

HolmenTree

Where are you located CR888 to have 381 in your area?

Woodcutter_Mo

The 038 came in Saturday. We poured some gas in the tank and it started rite up. We haven't really tested it out real good yet since its deer season but it does sound really good.

It needs a new clutch sprocket assembly. Is there any way to convert it to the newer style?
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

deerslayer

I have been to Brazil twice in the past year and checked out what saws were available there as I had heard there were still 090's to be had. Found out the largest saw that can be purchased there is the Stihl MS660. That is a common saw as is the 650.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

HolmenTree

Deerslayer how hard would it be to bring a 381 back to North America from Brazil?
Stihl Mexico advertise MS780.

Maine logger88

I would like to have a new 288xp from Brazil!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Al_Smith

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on November 17, 2014, 10:09:47 AM

It needs a new clutch sprocket assembly. Is there any way to convert it to the newer style?
This series of saws had three different drive systems .One piece  drum with sprocket ,replaceable sprocket plus  rim drive system which can all be interchanged .Now the problem is with each system if I'm correct it took a different nylon drive gear to drive the oil pump .

I'm pretty certain if you visit a Stihl dealer that amounts  to more than two shakes of lambs tail they can look up the parts which I assume to be the same as the 380/381 .Which although not sold in North America as a complete running unit parts should never the less be available .If they won't look it up for you find one that will .I don't fool with them .

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 17, 2014, 10:17:21 PM
Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on November 17, 2014, 10:09:47 AM

This series of saws had three different drive systems .One piece  drum with sprocket ,replaceable sprocket plus  rim drive system which can all be interchanged .Now the problem is with each system if I'm correct it took a different nylon drive gear to drive the oil pump .

I'm pretty certain if you visit a Stihl dealer that amounts  to more than two shakes of lambs tail they can look up the parts which I assume to be the same as the 380/381 .Which although not sold in North America as a complete running unit parts should never the less be available .If they won't look it up for you find one that will .I don't fool with them .

OK thanks. There is a fairly knowledgeable Stihl dealer in my area, I'll see what they can dig up.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

joe_indi

Willard, Here are a few pictures of the MS381

Thank You Sponsors!