iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oliver oc3 crawler

Started by Firewoodjoe, November 12, 2014, 07:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Anyone ever run one? All I know is it's small and has lots of ground clearance. That's what I want. And it's pretty cheap.

beenthere

Had a young member of the forum on here not too long ago. Had something like oc3 in his member name.  It was Big timber little dozer

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=24818
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

I had one years ago good little crawler. Mine had a dozer blade on it.
Precision Firewood & Logging

thenorthman

Had a little oliver at my folks place for awhile, had a weak motor but it always started, used it mostly to push start my uncles D4... it had electric start where the D4 had a bad pony motor,

Can be tough to find parts for the olivers though, not impossible just tough.
well that didn't work

oros35

We have a couple Oliver Cletrac HG's, predecessors to the OC3.

They are geared too high for woods work in my opinion.  They were meant for field work.  Around here they were used on steep slopes and orchards mostly.  The OC3's might have lower gears though.

One of ours spent it's life brush hogging steep pastures.  HG-68
The other has an Anderson blade on it and a replacement motor, looks to have had a rough life.   HG-42

Skip

I have one now good little machine, But they are geared kinda high it's been one of their knocks since they made them I use mine for skidding. I took the dozer blade of because of that first gear could be a gear lower. That being said I like mine but I'm an Oliver guy, Got two 550's a 1265 and the OC 3 

Firewoodjoe

I've read they offered a gear box for them because they were freed high. Well I'm going to get one tomorrow. Hope it works for me. Do they have a short shaft so a guy could put a auxiliary trans in?

Brian_Rhoad

I think you can put a 4 speed transmission from an OC4 in a OC3.

Firewoodjoe

I've read that to. Lol I've done a lot of searching. Only small change in gearing though. I'm thinking I can build a gear box to put in place of the drive shaft if it's real under powered. It's rated for a 2 bottom plow! Should pull good I would think.

luvmexfood

Joe. You may be a perfect example of the old saying; "The difference between a man and a boy is the price of their toys".  :D ;D :D

I would love a crawler type tractor to bushog and spray weeds with on steep ground. Would probably want a small blade on the front to push brush with.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Firewoodjoe

😜😜 that's all I have is my toys. Well and my family. But all toys that potentially make me money. I use to run mud trucks but boy a auto parts bill of $500 just to break the stuff got old fast. Now I drive a beater and spend all my money on money makers! And I enjoy it all😃

Ford_man

I had 2 HG 68 and I would buy another if I could find One, I still have the Instruction book for them . I was looking at it this morning and it tells and shows how to repair just about all components with Pics not drawings. It is a very simple tractor to work on. There is a short driveshaft between the clutch and the tranny.
Low gear-------2.01 MPH
Second gear----3.19 MPH
High gear-------5.24 MPH
Reverse Gear---2.33 Mph
Good luck and enjoy your new toy . splitwood_smiley

Alexanderthelate

Could you bolt on an after market reduction box?

esev

I agree. OC-3's are geared high for the woods. There were auxiliary transmission options available for them. They were made by a company called Trasco. They are hard to find, but you might find one in salvage yard, or through collectors. You can also make your own auxiliary tranny using a Ford Model A car transmission. They work well because the splines on the tail match the Oliver. You have to fabricate a bell housing, clutch linkage, and a shaft coupler, but it's been done plenty of times. There's a lot of info on www.cletrac.org if you haven't already found it. I've got a couple OC's. Wish I could find one of those auxilliary trannys for it!! Even with it geared down, don't expect to pull very big hitches with it. It is a very small crawler.

enigmaT120

I could have bought a running Cletrac cheap, about 15 years ago.  Before I ever considered that I might be doing anything to manage my forest land, of course.  Grump grump grump.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

loggah

You would be better off with a case 310 or 350,high ground clearance,Oliver style  controlled steering, and geared better for the woods. The little case is also quite a bit tougher then the oliver. I have had a bunch of the early cletrac models and when oliver went to the oc models they cheapened up the smaller tractors.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Firewoodjoe

Well I got it. Not broke up but needs some tinkering and the pins and bushings are real good. I'm going to sleep to deer hunt in the am. 😊

Ford_man

We want PIC's! We want PIC's We want PIC's
splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

Firewoodjoe

In all her glory. Runs good pins and bushings good. Sprocket are runnable for awhile

oros35

Nice looking machine!!   I would love to have it!

Skip

WOW  :o she sure looks a lot better than mine ya done good!

Firewoodjoe

So $1300 is good? I pretty happy it needs little stuff tinkered with.

Ford_man

Be careful on side hills if the ground is frozen the slide side ways real easy and fast. I ran mine through a fence that way.
splitwood_smiley

goose63

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on November 15, 2014, 08:31:29 PM

In all her glory. Runs good pins and bushings good. Sprocket are runnable for awhile
You could store it here I will take real good care of it for you
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Firewoodjoe

Thanks for the reminder ford_man. I've been on many dozer crawlers. Just built a mile truck road through the timber with a 1150 case. They do like to slip and slide but do well. My dad was the only one cutting one winter. Had 4' stumps in the spring!😄

Thank You Sponsors!