iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making the big switch

Started by cutter88, November 12, 2014, 07:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

Well I've been running stihls the past 3 years for the simple reason that our local dealer is bar none! But I making the switch back to husky I ordered 2 372xpg yesterday :). Really hoping there as good as when I owned them 5 or 6 years back :)
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

drobertson

A good friend of mine that does TSI work made the switch last year,  I believe the same saw, He is one happy dude!
They are fast cutting for sure,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jwilly3879

The nice thing about the orange saws is parts are readily available.

KyLogger

We have a mixed bag of Stihls and Huskys. I was a Stihl guy just because our small town dealer was a good feller (not a faller ;) ) He carried rigging, etc. as well.... and KNEW his Stihls. Well, he died and the only other decent dealer around was a Husky guy (small time outta his house) I needed another falling saw and the Sthil dealer was out of 460s so I went and bought a Husky. One thing led to another and I was looking at the saws laying in the shop the other day and realized we now have more Huskys than Stihls now 2 to 1........ The Stihl dealer died, and the Husky dealer has just about quit............ One of the New Holland dealers around here is a Stihl dealer, so it looks like I am going to be headed back that way now.... With as much logging as goes on around here you would think we would have a decent saw shop.........

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

bigred1951

kylogger.. the polaris dealer in morehead is a stihl dealer and i believe that Ernies small engine which is located on old 519 in morehead still deals stihl saws. I know they still work on them and stuff. My family and myself and many others have always taken anything stihl to them to have fixed or to buy. The owner Ernie passed away a little while ago but his wife and the guy thats worked for him for years is still there.

KyLogger

I just don't like dealing with a saw dealer that's not an actual saw shop...... Ernie's is still open, I still go in there from time to time. They are no longer a Stihl dealer though. I really like Steve McKinney's shop as well, he is a Dolmar dealer and a *DanG fine saw mechanic (granted speed ain't his thing).

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

bigred1951

i need to take my 041 to get fixed. I had ernies fix it once when i first got it but i rarely used it now i cant get it to stay running.

Compensation

I wouldn't say that I am switching but thinking of trying other brands as well. I have 15 stills and figured that's a good stopping point for a while. Wanting to try out some dolmar's first then maybe a husky. I am curious to see how you like your new saws :)
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Nate379

I use whatever happens to be handy... or sometimes whatever has fuel in it (kinda like with my trucks!)  Have several dumptruck loads of saws in all colors and sizes.  :D

Skip

Great move 372  XP is a great saw . Been using Huskys since early 80's. Stick with the XP's.

husky2100

I like my huskies but my Stihl it seems to run good but I wish the parts were easier to get I'm usually waitin on parts for it. But I usually keep a back up just in case but I also have more of the common parts that I break on hand but I'd say go with what you like I like my huskies but I'll run whatever I can get my hands on

7sleeper

Quote from: KyLogger on November 14, 2014, 05:14:44 AM
I just don't like dealing with a saw dealer that's not an actual saw shop...... Ernie's is still open, I still go in there from time to time. They are no longer a Stihl dealer though. I really like Steve McKinney's shop as well, he is a Dolmar dealer and a *DanG fine saw mechanic (granted speed ain't his thing).

Tom
I would take the risk and try a Dolmar 7910, especially if you have a good dealer close by. You might happen to like it more than your 372.

Cornishman

As far as I understand the new autotune Stihls can be troublesome. I heard that husky sold their first auto tune system to Stihl. So Stihl  are on mk 1 autotune and husky on a new version.
Fact or fiction?

365 372 great saws imo

HolmenTree

I made a living with  Jonsereds brand for 6 years, then 28 years with Stihl saws.
The last 6 years I've been making a living with  Husqvarna models.

Now today I'm willing to become bilingual and add Stihl back to my Husqvarna fleet. :)
The 2 companies being direct competition to each other have a very bright future improving each others products, and no AutoTune or M-tronic will not necessarily be what we end up with.. ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Ianab

Quote from: JohnG28 on December 03, 2014, 06:17:57 PM
http://www.stihl.com/stihl-carbon-concept-chain-saw.aspx

I hope we end up with something like this!   ;)

Cool.  8)

I can see the electronic fuel injection making it into production in the future.
Carbon fibre is labour intensive to manufacture, and so hard to mass produce, so you might be waiting a while for that.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JohnG28

:D :D Ian, I can't verify myself but I heard it cost $18,000!!  This is second hand from someone who's Stihl rep was said to have seen it at a national sales convention.  He also said it almost felt fake it was so light. I doubt  carbon fiber will be making it's way into saws in the foreseeable future.  Maybe in lightweight bars as on that saw? I'd imagine they'd be great as a long bar weight wise, but I can't imagine what just a bar would cost.  Now the fuel injection I'd say is likely.  They have a concrete saw already being hyped up for release with fuel injection.  But that carbon fiber saw looks sooooo coooool! And 7.5 hp at just over 13 lb!  8)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sawguy21

Quote from: Compensation on November 16, 2014, 12:39:23 AM
I have 15 stills and figured that's a good stopping point for a while.
I wouldn't be spreading that information. :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Quote:D :D Ian, I can't verify myself but I heard it cost $18,000!!

I can believe that...

A carbon fibre Lamborghini costs about $2 million.

Problem is that a plastic side cover comes out of the injection moulding machines about 10 per minute, and might cost $5 to produce. An aluminium alloy one would be slightly slower, and might cost $10. Same thing in carbon fibre takes a couple of hours to fabricate by hand, so costs ~$200.

The bar might not be as bad, as it's probably cut from a sheet of composite that could be mass produced?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Yatt

You'll love the heated handles. 8)
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

David-L

I am liking the dolmar 7900 saw. Starts easy and is very powerful and has good torque in big wood. oh course a dealer close by does help. I took a 6400 and put the OEM 80cc jug and piston to it. Still have that 6400 jug and piston with low hrs on it. Like two tanks of gas. any takers.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Compensation

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 03, 2014, 10:15:05 PM
Quote from: Compensation on November 16, 2014, 12:39:23 AM
I have 15 stills and figured that's a good stopping point for a while.
I wouldn't be spreading that information. :D :D

:D There all 500 gallon submarines hooked up in parallel.  :D Dang phones spell check. Stihls *
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Thank You Sponsors!