iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

77 Timberjack 230D more transfer case woes

Started by roadrunner36, November 11, 2014, 10:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadrunner36

Hi

I recently tried to get my old TJ back in fighting shape after it had been sitting for a few years.  I found that some water had gotten into the transfer case, which resulted in the shifter getting stuck.  So I pulled the pto housing off and took a look down inside, drained out the oily water and examined the gears.  There didn't seem to be much in the way of rust damage and everything seemed to be moving freely.  On the advice of of a uncle who is a diesel mechanic I dumped some diesel fuel down inside the transfer case to try to clean up the inner workings.

Recently I have noticed it seems like a lot of oil leaking out of the transfer case.  I was just curious if it was possible that the water/oil mixture could have froze and cracked the housing.  Or my other thought was that maybe the diesel fluid has done some to a seal.

I'm probably going to need to pull the transfer case out of the machine to solve the problem/fix whats wrong.  Just curious if its a big job or what kinda stuff needs to be removed to get the housing out.  I'm hoping that you don't need to remove the winch.

Any help steering me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Nemologger

If you pull the transfer case I would pull the winch off first. Just saves a lot of tight work plus not that bad pulling the winch.
Clean and Sober

Maine logger88

It's not bad pulling the winch just 4 bolts and the driveshaft. I think it would be hard too do without pulling the winch. I'm going too find out soon about pulling the transfer case the bearings and top shaft are in hard shape on my 225. I bet your seals just dried out from sitting I don't believe diesel would have hurt it
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Neilo

I have seen cracked cases, but I don't think they happened from water.

I would clean the outside of the case still in the machine and work out where it is leaking. The input/output seals are easy done with the transfer in place. Often speedi sleeves will be required on the yokes too. Take it out if you have to do bearings or shift rod seal.

If you can't take the winch out, the transfer does fit past, but as said it makes getting to things much more difficult.

timberlinetree

Can u add some of that stuff that's supposed to stop leaks?
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

Roadrunner if you need a pic breakdown I could post one or pm you after work today.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

jocco

Hi may be just a seal and or needing a wear sleeve. Be care full  on the shafts as some have needle bearings and they can fall inside the case :o if you move a shaft after pulling the yoke.
You may check out but you will never leave

roadrunner36

I dug out some the crap that collected below the transfer case and it seems that the leak is coming from around the front output shaft.

So I can replace that front seal without removing the whole case?

Neilo

To replace that seal, you have to drain oil, take the universal joint off, remove split pin from yoke nut, undo nut, remove yolk, remove seal retainer or just remove seal from retainer while still on the main case. Then reassemble.

Put some sealant on the yoke behind the washer when you put together to stop oil moving down the splines.

The fronts are easier to get the socket and lever on to.

Seals from the NP205 or NP200 should both work, they are just different thicknesses.

OntarioAl

roadrunner36
When you pick up the seal also pick up a "speedy sleeve" to cover the groove worn in the yoke from years of seals running in the same place.
Al
Al Raman

Thank You Sponsors!