iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Only because everyone loves ugly!

Started by drobertson, November 11, 2014, 06:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I've had these for a spell, actually they were in the cull pile. Well, a little while back the owner asked, " anyway to get anything out of them?"  I said if I get caught up I will give them a go, it will be a resaw job for sure, the small ends are terribly small, the logs have extreme taper, with all the nubs we have grown to love :D.  tomorrow should be an interesting day,  pray for my best imagination on how to get it done please,,

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

DR_Buck

I have a small mountain of those same things.  I'm beginning to think ......... FIREWOOD.    ::)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tree Dan

Wow...Cant them on the mill, what kind of wood do we have there?
I'm sure you will get the best out of those logs :o
Make sure now that you use the right degree blade on them ;D
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

beenthere

Cut the small top ends off, down to a minimum length that the customer will accept.

Saw out the large ends, and salvage any additional from the small top ends.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

these are erc, very nubby and tapered, most likely will be cut to 4'ers then squared, then on the resaw, a pain for sure, but better than working at Wally World :D which is what has been threatened if I don't start bringing in some more income ;D  I sawed a pile for this fellow, a good guy, and he has nearly finished his entire basement with what came off the good stock.  I just had a burr today, and felt the call to the challenge.. that's all.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

wormy

Looks like a pile of fence post. Can you even make money sawing them that small?

Tree Dan

Quote from: wormy on November 11, 2014, 07:50:33 PM
Looks like a pile of fence post. Can you even make money sawing them that small?

If you don't feed the big bad cat on that Woodmizer It can get real cranky ;D
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

drobertson

Quote from: wormy on November 11, 2014, 07:50:33 PM
Well I won't set any records this is for sure, but, it's more for the owner, and my own selfish desires to take on a challenge.  The main concern is and will be get these squared and to the resaw as quickly as possible.. right not working on some temp short back stops so I don't have to raise the flippers with each turn and cut.  the other concern is the cold in the morning, 20 for the low, and now before you northern boys pipe in, just member, I still have my shorts on ;D and I can't find my flannel lined jeans, so the morning will be, well, cold.  I like the beach ;D  always have, but three days to deer season so might as well get use to it, again, ;D  beats the heck out of killing flys ;D

red oaks lumber

i sawed for his brother last year  :D same scary looking erc, i think there is more b.f. in all the little nobbies sticking out.
some days your the dog, other days your the hydrant. today d you are the hydrant ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

:D :D :D :D  I'll be sure to lock off the hydrant in the morning ;D otherwise it might freeze ;D   I will try and get some pics of the outcome, 

WDH

I got some just like that to saw, too  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I sawed some Cypress today probably smaller than that.  The ERC was somewhat better.  It all payed $$$.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thehardway

I've got a pile of it too.  It makes beautiful closet paneling, wainscoting, or cedar chest lining.  I wouldn't waste time and effort to try and square or cant, you'll just waste time and potential board width.  Live saw it into 1/2" boards random width.  After its sawn, edge it on a table saw to random width and plane to 3/8" for paneling.  I have also made porch swings out of it.  Be sure to wear a good dust mask as it can be tough on the wind bags.

Another idea is find someone who makes rustic cedar furniture and sell it as is. That is about the size they like.  Easy $$

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

FarmingSawyer

Good luck sawing! Don't over think it. Grade the logs by size/taper. Set up to mill one size of the logs, make an opening cut, remove log, open another of same size. Work through each size until you've opened the face of each. Then saw the opposite face as normal. It's a little more handling, but their light and I think this is faster than trying to reset differently for each log as it comes up. I've squeezed a lot of 2x4 and 4x4 out of fencepost logs when necessary......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Cedarman

4x4 are $14.00 each.  Can sell all we make into the St Louis area.  Four cuts and done.  1/2" paneling is $.80 to $1.00 per square foot, you don't have to saw too many square feet per hour  to make good money.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

dboyt

Do I see a scragg saw in your future?  That little stuff can be a real pain, for sure.  Some of the smaller stuff could be sold as-is to woodworkers who do roundwood furniture.  Always good to see what you're up to.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

5quarter

I've sawn a lot of junk that people have drug in over the years. Those almost bad enough to turn away. I'd be cussin, but I'd still saw em.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

drobertson

Yep, between jobs, deer season bout to kick in, loggers are out or near of getting out of the woods.  If I did not have the resaw they would still be in the cull stack.  Sawed them in half today with the chain saw, got the resaw set and planning on getting with it tomorrow.  Wish it was not quite so cold!  I feel like being at a beach would be much better bout now ;D

Cedarman

When ever we get logs in looking like porcupines, I have a little training session with the logger explaining how to trim logs.  Sometimes when they use a delimber they leave them looking a little rough.
Our end dogging scragg would take care of those in about 20 minutes.  Our average log size is about 7" as we saw down to 5" sometimes 4" logs.
Having used both a manual WM and a hydraulic WM, I think it is quicker when 2 people are working to use a manual mill.
When we have to cut logs down the middle to make 1/2 logs, we use 2 jigs with V notches cut in them to hold the log.  Holding down butt end until mill gets 1/2 way, then holding down small end for last 1/2 keeps log in jig and prevents log movement. 

drobertson

It is a manual mode for the most part cedarman,  four slab cuts and to the stack they go. Then on the rewaw, Getting 6 boards per cant with slight sliver left over.  It's amazing how long cedar lasts.

JB Griffin

David, I wouldn't have give those "logs" a second look, I can't hardly give cedar away down here. Back in April I sawed 750 bdft of it and still have bout 600 bdft.
Bet it's cold up there it's only 29° here right now, need to go put a new belt on the mill and cut some pallet lumber but I didn't plug my truck in last night and the old 7.3 idi don't like this cold weather.

Congrats on gettin something out of em.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Cedarman

David,  would it work to cut just 3 sides and run through the resaw.  This leaves a slab and no shim board when finished.  How many blades on your resaw?
JB, it might surprise you how much cedar we ship to Arkansas and Texas from Indiana.  But we also buy trailer loads of cants from near Hotsprings, I think six so far this year.
We resaw and ship back out.

JB Griffin

Cedarman i'm glad someone can make money on it, pretty much a bane of the farmers, a weed tree if you will, takes over farms overnight it seems like.

Around here people think that if they go strait to the sawmill they can get lumber for next to nuthin, and when you tell them oak is $1 bdft most of em run away fast.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Cedarman

JB, most of our lumber, posts, etc is shipped 50 miles or further away.  In Ok it is considered invasive and we grind huge amounts of it for mulch every year.
I know what you mean about the closer people live to you the cheaper they think you should sell of even "give" it away because they are "neighbors".

drobertson

Cedarman, I did run a few 3 sided.   the folds or flutes how ever you want to call them, for me determine the slab cut.  I hate narly slivers on the resaw,  still not set up for the debris removal as of yet.  But man the saw will chunk out the boards in a hurry. Flat and fast.  Love it.  This job is for some interior work as determined by the owner of the logs,(sticks)  but I can sure see why you see red, and why you picked cedar for the product ;D  I also see why you mentioned the little v-block lock for these little things,  had two get loose a little bit, it took a trim cut to make the face flat.

Thank You Sponsors!