iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Injector chokes / Dolmar

Started by Spruce_Goose, November 11, 2014, 04:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spruce_Goose

I was just unsticking a stiff throttle return spring on a 111i Dolmar today when I noticed the choke lever wasn't closing any valve. At first I thought something was missing but then I discovered the concept of the injection choke. Huh, never new it existed.
So i am just curious, is Dolmar the only company to use this and does anyone think there are any disadvantages or advantages to this style? Why use it, why not?

-goose

sablatnic

I like them. Normally easier to start, but can take some more pulls to start, when they have been standing for a long time, probably because of sticky need valve and diaphragms. A squirt of petrol or a hand over the intake when pulling normally takes care of that.

In 'the old days' Partner used a combination. A lever depressed the measuring diaphragm to open the needle valve when the choker was closed.

Jiles

I have two DCS520i Makitas that have the injection. I have found that if they don't start FIRST or SECOND pull you can shake the saw vigorously and it will build enough pressure inside fuel tank to send to carburetor.
I usually just shake before starting, matter of fact, I usually shake all my saws regardless of brands.
Satisfy needs before desires

sablatnic

Never thought of shaking the saw, but will try it, Thanks!

motard

Sachs Dolmar has (had) the patent on the 'injector choke'.

And most SDs used a Tillotson carb back in the day.

They work on a cam so when you rotate the lever CCW it opens the 'injector'.

Some had a small pin while other used a screw to orient them properly in the carb port.

motard

I don't see any dis-advantage to the design.

When working properly they are the best starting saws bar none.
The only fly is finding parts, I think they are still available, but can't say for sure. (go to the Tillotson web site)

I have been through a couple dozen of those carbs and only had one I couldn't get right.

I ended up putting a 120 Super carb on that one. (pull choke)

I personally have never dealt with one newer than the 116/120si series.

Thank You Sponsors!