iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM vs. Norwood vs Hud-Son vs. ? (Looking for a NEW MILL!)

Started by Engineer, November 11, 2014, 12:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Well I said a few years back that I probably would not own another mill.  I think I lied.  :-\

I am going to try to build a garage/wood shop with rough-sawn lumber over the next year or so, and I think I would like to invest in a new mill to cut the lumber for the garage.  I also expect to cut some of my own trees and "found" logs for woodworking projects.  More than likely I won't need to cut anything over 16 feet long, or too big in diameter.  If I get something bigger than a mill's capacity, I will quarter it with a chainsaw.  So, what I am looking for is in the category of "personal/hobbyist" mill.  Models I have looked at include WoodMizer LT15, Norwood LM29 and MN26, Hudson Oscar 328.  The only one I have been able to see in person (and operate) is the WM LT15.  I am in the $4500 to $6500 range, do not need a trailer package or any kind of hydraulics/electronics.  Like to cut at least a 24" diameter log.  Off-the-shelf parts are a big plus, as are "standard" blades.  I also want to stick to new or very lightly used bandmills.

So can any of you offer your opinions on these mills and give me an idea of similar mills with similar capabilities?  I always thought I wanted another Wood-Mizer, and almost bought a LT-15 a few months ago, but I would like to get peoples' opinions on a few other manufacturers and see if there's a better option.

rwepinetree

look at the timber king mills also they are well bult I think

hackberry jake

Ez boardwalk jr. Falls into the same class. Nobody can say which one is "better". Its the old chevy vs ford  debate...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

dgdrls

Good afternoon,

Looking quickly I see a new LT-15 is priced at $7295
In your price range you can get a dandy mill
with some upgrades and still be under your max budget.

Here is a thread to refer to
  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,78860.0.html?PHPSESSID=f82cfc776a3621f65a7eb9d6dea53ebc

DGDrls

woodworker9

I was recently in the market for a sawmill, and I checked the craigslist ads for about 4 months straight using searchtempest in a 750 mile radius from my house.

I frequently saw ads for LT15's in your price range.  I ended up getting the exact mill I wanted, an LT40 hydraulic with debarker and accuset, for having just a little bit of patience for around $15K less than new cost, and my mill only has 190 hours on it.

There are a lot of used mills out there with break-in usage only on them, and you can save a few thousand bucks easy.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Kingcha

I bought a new Lt15 electric 2 years ago and I am very happy with it.   I am very glad I went electric.    What ever mill you get consider going electric.   No smell, very little noise and less maintenance.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Magicman

I wish you the best in your sawmill search.  You will know it when you see it.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AnthonyW

I have been able to touch and feel both the Oscar 328 and LT10. In my opinion, the LT10 was stronger, sturdier, and better built than the Oscar. Should I say, the LT10 had a more commercial grade feel and the Oscar had a more home owner feel.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

DR_Buck

I went orange 11 years ago because of the follow on service and reputation.    I agree, it's the Ford / Chevy issue.    If it was me, I'd go Ford.    I've always like orange.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Okrafarmer

I can't speak to the Hudson, but the LT-15 has a great reputation, and has a great company backing it. The Norwood is also a very good mill for the personal sawyer. My cousin has had one for around 15 years and loves it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: woodworker9 link=topic=79023.msg1199801#msg1199801There are a lot of used mills out there with break-in usage only on them, and you can save a few thousand bucks easy.

I second that. Since you are within budget, get one that is slightly used, low hours. . . . unless you just have to have that "new mill smell."
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

cutterboy

I can only speak for Norwood as it is the only mill I have run. My LM2000 is in it's 14th year and still cutting straight and true.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Chuck White

Hey Engineer, good to see you back on here, it's been a while!

Good luck on your hunt for a mill.

Don't overlook USED, lots of times there are very good deals out there!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Kingcha is right about the electric part. I don't use mine much. Only when a building project jumps up. I have been lucky that I have not had carb problems with mine. I might of gone the electric route if I would have find this place before I brought mine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Engineer, why don't you build one, you've used a bandmill and know what you like and don't like. I would give serious consideration to an electric mill, probably 7 1/2 hp would do anything you wanted. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dboyt

In your price range, not needing a trailer package gives you lots of options.  Norwood has been a great company to work with, and I'm pleased with the performance of my mill (HD36).  Contacting any of the companies mentioned would probably get you a list of customers in your area.  You'll probably get some offers from FF members, as well (you're welcome to come to southwest Missouri & make some sawdust with my mill).  There's just no substitute for getting out there and seeing a mill run in person.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

opticsguy

I purchased a new Timberking 1220 mill a few years ago and certainly a wonderful machine and would highly recommend this machine. The only problems with the machine so far are only the mistakes I make. Will cut up to 29" diameter and one extra rail will get you out past 18 feet.

Certainly my best purchase in many years. 

Did I mention highly recommended?

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

thecfarm

JohnM and me checked out Norwood at a expo almost 2 years ago. What impressed me was the options. The all manual mill would be a certain price,but if you added all the options to it over a period of years,all the options would not cost you anymore than if you brought them all at once.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Engineer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 12, 2014, 07:40:33 AM
Engineer, why don't you build one, you've used a bandmill and know what you like and don't like. I would give serious consideration to an electric mill, probably 7 1/2 hp would do anything you wanted. Frank C.

Definitely want something "off-the-shelf".  I'm no fabricator, and for sure don't have the time to build something.  I also may transport the mill occasionally so electric is out.

I'm going to contact manufacturers, as I'd like to see some of the other brands in action.  You can only get so much from brochures, websites and YouTube.

reswire

Quote from: rwepinetree on November 11, 2014, 01:04:28 PM
look at the timber king mills also they are well bult I think

I've seen the 1220 up close, and it is a very impressive mill.  Nothing small about it, very robust machine for the price!
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

arlostone

hey engineer vt. craigslist ,in heavy equipment,has a 4 year old norwood mx 34?never used with twenty blades and trailer setup,asking 8k in island pond.its a haul but looks nice.
tk 1400

4x4American

Woodmizer has that new LT15 Wide out, I believe it can saw up to a 36" log they claim.

Hud-Son's are an affordable unit.  My friend has an Oscar and is happy with it.

Norwood's are good units too.
Boy, back in my day..

Theo

HUD-SON and Range-Road & KASCO Canada Dealer

Dave Shepard

Quote from: 4x4American on November 17, 2014, 05:49:15 PM
I bought a TK 2000 diesel not too long ago and have not been impressed with it's accuracy.  The mill is all there, but if you're meticulous....

Woodmizer has that new LT15 Wide out, I believe it can saw up to a 36" log they claim.

Hud-Son's are an affordable unit.  My friend has an Oscar and is happy with it.

Norwood's are good units too.

If your TK2000 won't cut accurate lumber, then there is a problem not inherent to the mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Dave Shepard link=topic=79023.msg1202300#msg1202300
If your TK2000 won't cut accurate lumber, then there is a problem not inherent to the mill.
/quote]

Dave, no mill can cut good lumber without a good operator, but it is definitely true that it is easier for any operator to get good results with a good mill.

Thank You Sponsors!