iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cottonwood Spacing

Started by awol, February 27, 2002, 11:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awol

Does anyone have any data on the groth rates of cottonwood (or other species) based on spacing?

Example cotton wood planted on 10' by 10' pacing yeilds about 150 ton/acre

I'm wanting to know what the difference is if they were planted on a 20' by 20'

any Ideas?

Thanks
awol

swampwhiteoak

Not much help but from this site you can request the documents that might have some insight.

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/olympia/silv/publications/growth.htm

DeBell, D.S., and C.A. Harrington. 1997. Productivity of Populus in monoclonal and polyclonal blocks at three spacings. Can. J. For. Res. (27): 978-985.

DeBell, D.S., C.A. Harrington, G.W. Clendenen, and J.C. Zasada. 1997. Tree growth and stand development of four Populus clones in large monoclonal plots. New Forest 14: 1-18.

Here's another one about the economics of planting cottonwood, but it doesn't specifically answer what you're after:

http://www.srs.fs.fed.us/pubs/ja/ja_stanturf002.pdf

My thinking would be that 20' X 20' is way to wide and you'll be losing a lot of production and encouraging wider branching.  10' X10' or 12 X 12 would be better.  I typically recommend 10 X 8 on hardwood plantings but I haven't worked with pure cottonwood plantations.

Spacing is also going to be based on the estimated time of harvest - 5 year vs. 30 year rotation, ect.  So it might depend.

Bud Man

Awol==Try www.srs.fs.fed.us/pubs ------- and then plug in cottonwood--lots here--
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Frank_Pender

Some of the fellas here in the Willamette Valley are planting as closs as an 8 x 8 spacing then in a couple of yours are pruning up  10 or 12 feet and removing any of the less quality trees if needed.  I will try and call a few to see their reasoning.
Frank Pender

Bud Man

I've seen them started as close as 4x4 with planned 5 year thinnings for clear boles . They have wide range of adaptability and many usages, and the genetics folk's have got they growing faster and more productive that Weyerhauser Super SYP .
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

awol

Thanks for your guys help... I found a document that had exactly what I needed..... One more thing... I was trying to use the hardwood pulp calculator to get the value of the trees and it says to use Cords as a measurement.  Is there any other way to  figure the pulp volume using dbh or other measurements?

I know one of you wizards of the woods... can help me

Thanks again

awol

Thank You Sponsors!