iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-Classic 2300 (vintage 2008) Modification available

Started by WI Fire, November 09, 2014, 11:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WI Fire

I have a 2008 e-classic. Had all the early mods. as recommended in service bulletins.
(additional holes drilled for air, removal of side firebricks.)

Became aware somewhere here of a modification from Central Boiler that could be done;  I found it, and did it.

It's called "Refractory Target Kit-E-Classic 2300 Models" Part Number:2500038-- cost: $47. Additionally, I purchased, but have not installed, and probably will wait until next spring,"KIT,FLAT SIDE,AIR CHANNEL INSERT,ECL 2300" PART NUMBER, 2500136...Involves cutting out old air channel sides to be able to insert a removable stainless piece on each side that has air holes...allowing one to have  open access for cleaning the side air channels. (No more poking to open up the air channels on the sides) Cost:51.00.

Upshot is that the refractory target kit involved removing the 3 bars, all the firebrick sitting in the bottom of the furnace, and sliding out the 1 refractory rectangular brick opposite (to the left looking in from the open door) the horseshoe oval refractory air inlet , and simply sliding this new piece in place, closing the gap to the oval air holes, matching the curve, making a smaller opening. Drops the available loading space for wood (because the other firebricks and bars do not get replaced) ... and the result has been amazing! Cleaner burns, coals well below the side channel air holes.

I am very pleased. Hope this helps anyone else who has a similar design!

Roger2561

The Central Boiler E-Classic 1450's have the removable side panels to aid cleaning them, the E-Classic 1400 does not.  I have the 1400 and I wonder when CB will come out with a kit to make the panels removable?  Those side and rear air holes are a pain to clean.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for the retro kit when it becomes available.  Roger
Roger

bobby s

WI Fire, Thanks for the info. and give us an update as the winter goes on if you can. I have a 2009- 2300 and am considering this change if the reviews are good.

wishiwasfishingguy

The E Classic 1400 also has the refractory target kit.  Part for the 1400 would be 2500037 and can be ordered through the dealer.  It's in their parts catalog.  As WI Fire stated, this will deepen the firebox and help the user operate their furnace more efficiently.

WI Fire

Quote from: bobby s on November 10, 2014, 07:45:36 PM
WI Fire, Thanks for the info. and give us an update as the winter goes on if you can. I have a 2009- 2300 and am considering this change if the reviews are good.

I have been totally amazed by this refractory piece. I have NO visible smoke, except between firings, when the pulse controller kicks the fan on to keep the coals going. (FYI: every 20 min./50 secs).

Again, the horseshoe shaped refractory brick mirrors the other side, narrows the gap, concentrates the air flow downward (it is shaped like half of a reverse funnel as it enters the refractory chamber), lowers the firebox by the height of the previous removed base firebricks and bars, and therefore clears the side channel air holes, making them less susceptible to plugging.

I AM impressed. I am also impressed that Central Boiler has done their homework to improve the efficiency and support their owners who have this pioneering and sometimes historically problematic unit. I think the two upgrades I previously posted will greatly benefit E-2300 owners.

doctorb

WI Fire-

Thanks for that info.  Has CB released a CD on its use / installation?  It sure would be good to get rid of the creosote /air hole battle!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: WI Fire on November 09, 2014, 11:27:07 PM
I have a 2008 e-classic. Had all the early mods. as recommended in service bulletins.

Became aware somewhere here of a modification from Central Boiler that could be done;  I found it, and did it.

It's called "Refractory Target Kit-E-Classic 2300 Models" Part Number:2500038-- cost: $47. Additionally, I purchased, but have not installed, and probably will wait until next spring,"KIT,FLAT SIDE,AIR CHANNEL INSERT,ECL 2300" PART NUMBER, 2500136...Involves cutting out old air channel sides to be able to insert a removable stainless piece on each side that has air holes...allowing one to have  open access for cleaning the side air channels. (No more poking to open up the air channels on the sides) Cost:51.00.

Upshot is that the refractory target kit involved removing the 3 bars, all the firebrick sitting in the bottom of the furnace, and sliding out the 1 refractory rectangular brick opposite (to the left looking in from the open door) the horseshoe oval refractory air inlet , and simply sliding this new piece in place, closing the gap to the oval air holes, matching the curve, making a smaller opening. Drops the available loading space for wood (because the other firebricks and bars do not get replaced) ... and the result has been amazing! Cleaner burns, coals well below the side channel air holes.

would love to see some pictures of these parts!!

WI Fire

Sorry I did not take a picture before install. I hope my wordy explanation is enough. After removing all base refractory bricks, and bars, slide out the brick that's opposite the horse shoe shaped inducer. The brick you remove from the left is rectangular and flat, and allows a larger opening into the chamber below. The new one contours to the shape of the one on the right, just slide it into the opening to match the contour. It will be evident when you see the part. Leave, throw away, or store your old removed parts.

Regarding the side panel update-- I have not installed them, as it was getting too cold to mess around (cut the firebox) , and I decided to wait and see what happened with the function of the Refractory target Kit (above).

It simply is an over piece that allows removal for cleaning --once you cut a slot all the way along each side of the firebox,--matching the size of the stainless inserts in the kit, which is basically a stainless steel bar with air holes, and ears and bolts for positioning. Instruction sheet included with kit. Measure twice, mark well, cut once, or one could be in BIG trouble ! That's why I decided to wait for warmer weather!

Logging logginglogging

Man... I have been searching and googling the description and part number online and have found nothing....

DeerMeadowFarm

Where does one find out about these upgrades/improvements? I registered my OWB with CB when I got it but I have never received any kind of CD or additional contact from them...?  ??? :'(

Logging logginglogging

I think you find out when you need a part or have a problem. I bought mine second hand so I don't expect to get contacted, but it seems that when I read about them on here its because the person had a problem.
I don't have any issues with my stove.... but I am all for buying preventative upgrades if I can. I just wish people posted photos of them so I could see if I could make it my self, or at least if it looks worth the money.

garret

Running my E-2400 since early September and never had to remove the removable SS side plates or poke at any holes.  I think the reason is that these plates are thin gauge (<=10 ga), get very hot and burn off the deposits.
E-Classic 2400 comfortably heating 4,200 sq.ft. and unlimited DHW, Off-grid, Photovoltaic-powered pumps in gloomy SW PA , 34 t splitter, numerous Husky chainsaws

brokentoe

It is an easy process.  I have the updated heavier built fusion combustor that sits below the grate bars.  So when I installed this new refractory "target", you simply take out the grate bars, the refractory panels (the bottom refractory panels on the floor of the firebox that holds the grate bars) and then slide the new panel down and in front of the half moon fusion combustor. 
Basically instead of looking down through grates, you now look down through a slit into the reaction chamber...The firebox is now deeper without the bottom refractory which i was told will help with maintenance which can lead to increased efficiency. Works very well and improved performance!  I haven't had issues with ashes getting too deep, and I believe this kit helps with that.  Using the black cleaning rod daily helps tremendously in keeping ashes and coals to a manageable level.  I also watched the maintenance DVD that CB mailed to me.  Good resource for both cleaning and refueling tips.  I'll post pictures if I can figure that part out!

JJ

Brokentoe
Thanks for the post.
How did you get your fire box so clean?
Looks brand spanking new!

jj

brokentoe

Ha!  Ya, I cleaned my furnace out pretty good before installing but the one I posted isn't a picture of my stove.  Mine is currently busy heating my house! 

Roger2561

I'm with JJ on this, the box looks brand new!  How did you get it that clean? 

So, without the refractory panel, the fire sits on the firebox floor, correct?

Also, is that the removable panel on the right side of the firebox that's been mentioned earlier in this thread?  I'll have to contact my CB dealer to see if they make the retro kit for the E-Classic 1400 and removable air panels.  Thanks, Roger
Roger

Roger2561

Quote from: brokentoe on December 04, 2014, 12:23:45 PM
Ha!  Ya, I cleaned my furnace out pretty good before installing but the one I posted isn't a picture of my stove.  Mine is currently busy heating my house!

I guess I don't type as fast as other people do... Thanks...Roger
Roger

upsnake

brokentoe

Around $50 or so for the refractory target piece itself when I bought mine.  If you have the original 2300 fusion combustor that would also need to be replaced.  There is a kit that contains both items.

Correct Roger, the fire sits on the firebox floor.  Also, the picture does show one version of the air channel kit for a 2300.  For your specific furnace, I agree it would be best to contact your dealer. 

charger arms

I have the new refractory, but it looks like I need to get the reaction chamber part as well.

I did recieve the new stainless air channel kit, but I don't know if mine has the tabs welded to attach the bolts. My current air channels are welded into the firebox.

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: WI Fire on November 09, 2014, 11:27:07 PM

Hey WI Fire, is yours a 2300?
Thanks

bobby s

Looks like replacement refractory  has a smaller opening, similar to a Portage and Main or some of the European gassers. Will be nice not to have to worry about knocking the grates out of place while stirring the coal bed. Keep us posted on how it works for you. Thanks

charger arms

Does anyone know if the anchor spots for the SS air channel kit are installed behind the welded in factory air holes? I don't see how this kit will work with my stove.

upsnake

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread... :)

Just wondering how the steel on the bottom of the firebox is holding up for everybody?

I have a 1400 and the refractory bricks on the firebox floor are busting up, and the bricks where the grates go are falling apart.
I see there is the upgrade but I am just a little leary about the fire sitting on the steel for the floor. Just wondering if anybody that has made this change has any input. :) Thanks Jay

Thank You Sponsors!