iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is your PPE experiences

Started by Ford_man, November 09, 2014, 08:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Sometimes I do things that the little voice in my head says something like this, "I don't know about that.  Maybe you should use a wedge?"  Naw, it will be OK. 

Had to get the tractor to get the pinched saw out  :-\.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

longtime lurker

http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sites/SWA/about/Publications/Documents/62/WorkRelatedTraumaticFatalitiesInvolvingTimberActivites_Australia_19891992_June1999_ArchivePDF.pdf

makes interesting reading on the statistics and most common causes of chainsaw / sawmill accidents, and breaks them out by industry group from professional loggers to weekend warriors. I figure that the numbers might change a little but probably the ratios of falling object deaths to say chainsaw injury deaths might be pretty similar wherever you are, particularly in the pro categories.

The Darwin Awards nominee on page 22 who cut through to a hinge then tied a rope round his waist from the tree to pull it over... well waht can you say.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Windy_Acres

I was trimming a maple, large lower limb, it was about 15' up the tree, I cut it clean, it fell, square on the branches, in a vertical fashion, the branches acted as a "spring" it shot back up, straight for me, and the 6-8" end of the limb shot me right off the ladder (hit me on my right side at an angle), and I fell to the ground, with a running saw in hand. All happened in a second. Not sure what PPE would have done me in that situation. Right after that event, I bought a used bucket truck, and dont climb trees or ladders anymore, and I stay way out of the way of what Im dropping.

Otherwise, I do wear one of them combo hard hats/ear muffs/face shields (branded Husky). I also always have on leather gloves, and wear double knee jeans, but have never got around to buying chaps, for I dont cut for a living, just maintenance, and for firewood. Owning a bucket truck seems to get me involved in a little more tree cutting than most that dont do it for a living.

Never gave it a a thought, but I do own a fall harness (mostly for working on steep roofs) and lanyard that would have come in handy, had I had it on, but you dont expect these things. It was a pretty bizarre event, but that is how you get hurt.

Im still recovering from a broken collar bone, and a really screwed up left shoulder right now, I dont recommend falling to anyone. Its been 6 weeks, and Im partially functional. I pulled so many muscles I had a hard time breathing, let alone a yawn or cough. I was pretty close to the ground when I took that hit.

Im back to dressing myself and running a saw, but not without allot of pain. Doc says Im supposed to sit parked until January, Ive got too much to do, and cant sit still that long  :D

beenthere

QuoteLeg injuries mightkill you.... being caught up in a vine thats attached to the head of a falling tree will kill you.

Clearing the site around a tree for an escape route is the first thing to do so there are no vines.
Wear the chaps,  should be no problem at all, IMO.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

longtime lurker

No offense, but I doubt there's many tropical jungles in Wisconsin.

Used to be that way here once, back before my time. Start at the last stump... take 1/2 a day to hack your way to the next tree... take a day and a half to clear away what vine you thought needed to be cleared around the next tree... then fall and take another day to clean the vine away from the log and then maybe another to open a line for the winch into the log. Two logs a week was an acceptable talley ( but they're the size of california redwoods or near enough)
What I call vine is thick enough and strong enough to bind up a dozer's tracks... and it grows from the head of one tree to the next and some of it won't have any real ground contact at all. "Vine" kills you when a branch off a tree about 100 yards back snaps out and gets pulled down with a falling tree. Other types of "vine" grab hold of your skin/ clothes and leave you hanging like a bat on a barbed wire fence.  Skin tears off on the barbs, rip proof clothing won't... which is why long trousers are not highly favoured.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

MJD

I dont do logging for a living anymore but do cut wood to feed the OWB, and I feel since I have all the PPE that it would be Dumb not to wear it. Kinda like not using the safety on the gun.

Thank You Sponsors!