iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Throwing Chains

Started by colincb183, November 08, 2014, 10:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colincb183

Well yesterday morning I was out cutting honeysuckle, and for the first time, my saw threw a chain.  I know why it happened so that's not the part I'm wondering about.  When I went to put it back on I found that only 3 drivers on the chain won't set into the bar rails.  I haven't looked real closely at them but its like they're mushroomed out or something.  Ill try to post pictures if that'll help.  Its practically a brand new chain (only been used about 12 hrs) and want to fix it so I dont have to junk it.  I wanna try taking a file to the drivers to see if that can fix it.  Any other suggestions?

HolmenTree

File the 3 drivers smooth :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

luvmexfood

They are not the easiest thing to file. Hard to get into them to file. You might try something like a Dremel tool or a little air cut off tool.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

colincb183

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 08, 2014, 11:16:02 PM
File the 3 drivers smooth :D

Just needed some confirmation on what to do, thinking there might be an easier way.  luvmexfood, that was my next guess, a flap disk on the dremel
I'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys

thecfarm

A flat file will work too. That's all I have used. I've only had it happen a few times,needing to file them. No need to be perfect,probably have over 50-60 on the chain to keep it on the bar.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I've had it happen, cutting small saplings,  a burr will get on the drivers, all that's needed is to get them facing outward one at a time, then file the burr off.   Might as well give your bar a little maintenance while you're at it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

HuckFin

I had the same thing happen to me with a new chain, so I just took it in to the local hardware store that sold saw chain and had them break the damaged ones off and replace with new drivers.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HuckFin on November 09, 2014, 01:05:19 PM
I had the same thing happen to me with a new chain, so I just took it in to the local hardware store that sold saw chain and had them break the damaged ones off and replace with new drivers.
So if you damaged a couple of cutters of your loop of chain on a rock would you take it back to the store and get them replaced?  :D

sawguy21

Too much time and effort considering the cost of the loop. Easier to splice in a new section of chain rather than replace individual parts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HuckFin

Not sure what you guys are saying, but if I damage a few drivers or the cutters on a new chain, I believe it's worth it to replace that section of chain. Whole lot cheaper than buying a new chain.

Al_Smith

FWIW I get 15-20 chain loops a year from a tree trimmer bud ,all Stihl .When I find the time I repair them .I suppose I have about a dozen hanging on a nail right now .

Whatever I want to do.Cut 24" down to 20-16" or spice two together and make a 32" .A few minutes,free chain ,good as gold .

HolmenTree

HuckFin, don't take it wrong what I have said earlier. I have replaced sections of chain on a loop that had severe peening damage to the drive links that had nothing left to fix with a flat file, but that was years ago when I was running  saws with spur gear drive sprockets.
They literally take out chunks of the DL's but since running rim sprockets like most other folk today that problem is pretty well non existent . With a rim sprocket the slots of the rim or the splines on the clutch drum will just catch the tips of the DL's with enough damage that can be easily filed off with a flat file.

And yes  on the very rare occasion  I have replaced cutters on a poor quality loop of Carlton chain that parts of the cutters had broken off.
Sorry to have jumped to conclusions on my earlier judgement of your problem. ;) 

HuckFin

HolmenTree; Thanks for the clarification. Also never thought about the spur gear drive sprocket doing more damage than the rim gear type, next time I replace the gear drive sprocket on my 034, I'm going change over to rim.

Spartan

I just use my raker file to file the burrs flat.  easier to take the chain off to do that.  if it is not bad and its just a couple of drivers, I sometimes put the chain on a little looser and burp the throttle a couple times then tighten the chain down to normal, takes the burr out.

Don't think I would replace chain parts for this issue myself.

deerslayer

I typically smooth the burrs on the drivers on my bench grinder. It doesn't take but a few minutes to fix up a derailed chain.

Cutting small diameter saplings with a chainsaw is typically the scenario where chains come off bars. 95% of all the derailments I have had was cutting little stuff and occasionally if I get into splintered sections of storm damaged trees. Usually, not that many drivers are affected. Sometimes just 3 or so but maybe as many as a dozen. Not a big deal to grind off the burrs, reinstall the chain and move on.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

deerslayer

Just today my wife threw a chain on an 018C. I put it back on and she kept going. It didn't mess up any drivers. It got pinched in a log and for whatever reason, came off the bar.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Thank You Sponsors!