iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boiled Peanuts

Started by StimW, November 08, 2014, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StimW

The typical way is to boil them in a large pot for 2-5 hours.
I have been boiling them in a pressure cooker for about 20 years and they are just as good!
The tricks are-
When they start perking cook for 30 minutes.
Turn them off and let set until fairly cool, that lets the water and salt soak in.
If you open them and take them out of the water too soon they will be cooked but dry with no salt.
I have also frozen them after cooking and thawed them out. They are not as good as fresh but still good.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Magicman

We have boiled and eaten our share this year.  MMmmm, I love boiled peanuts.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 08, 2014, 08:58:08 PM
We have boiled and eaten our share this year.  MMmmm, I love boiled peanuts.   food6

You favor a boiled peanut.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

I need some boiled peanuts,, them is hard to find up this way,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

I love them and have made four batches this Fall.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coxy

don't know much about peanuts just that they are good  why do you boil them or do you have to  ???

WDH

You boil the raw ones.  If you don't roast them or boil them, the raw ones will give you a stomach ache. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

StimW

Quote from: coxy on November 10, 2014, 07:44:12 AM
don't know much about peanuts just that they are good  why do you boil them or do you have to  ???

It's a southern thing. My guess is some old fart with no teeth came up with it.
You boil green peanuts that have not been dried. You boil them with heavy salt.
They are truly addictive! You crack the shell open and the nuts are firm but soft and tasty. 
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: StimW on November 08, 2014, 08:54:51 PM
The typical way is to boil them in a large pot for 2-5 hours.
I have been boiling them in a pressure cooker for about 20 years and they are just as good!
The tricks are-
When they start perking cook for 30 minutes.
Turn them off and let set until fairly cool, that lets the water and salt soak in.
If you open them and take them out of the water too soon they will be cooked but dry with no salt.
I have also frozen them after cooking and thawed them out. They are not as good as fresh but still good.

I agree with everything said here. I prefer a traditional boil but when time is an issue I pressure cook.

I also love to eat them raw. Just not too many.
Jon ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WDH

I boiled up a big batch today.  I have one more 5# bag, then that is it for the raw ones that you boil.  Season over. 

Alligator

I love boiled peanuts. Around here everyone has their own favor of the kind and age to boil. I like mine dug about 2 or 3 weeks before harvest when they are not tight in the hull. I like the Spanish peanuts. They are smaller and more work, but have a better taste. I can suffer thru 8 or 10 pounds of Jumbos :D The guy that rents my farm, that surrounds my house has planted soy beans this year and cotton last year. I am hoping for peanuts next year. It' nice to be able to walk out ans stomp up a good boiling of peanuts to boil.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

StimW

I grew some this year but was so busy that they were getting old when I dug them. They still boiled up great!
Peanuts are great for the soil too. They add nitrogen to it and if you till the old plants back in it helps even more.
I looked at some green peanuts today at Winn Dixie but the wanted almost $3. a pound for them!! I will have to hit the Flea Market for a better price.
New HF Band Mill

WDH

It is that time of the year again.  This is the fifth batch this year.  I boil up a bunch and freeze them in freezer bags to have during the cold winter as a snack.  They freeze well, and are still very good when thawed out and re-heated. 

WV Sawmiller

Now you're hitting below the belt talking about and showing something you know we can't get up here. When I grew up in N. Fla every small town had a Peanut Boy who peddled boiled and parched (Roasted) peanuts in small brown paper bags on weekends and special events. My buddy "Peanut (Jimmy) Hamrick" and his brother sold them across the line in Flomaton Ala. His dad ran an open air fruit and vegetable market. Peanut sold them year round and when I asked him where he got green peanuts in the winter he said they just boiled the dry ones and that worked. You had to watch him though - he'd sell you a bag of peanuts then eat them up from you if you weren't careful.

We used to boil them in a big washpot and used rock/ice cream salt for seasoning as just as good as the more expensive table salt.

I found the perfect way to parch peanuts was to preheat the oven to around 325-350 degrees F then put a big cooking tray about an inch deep in peanuts in the oven and turn it off, and leave them overnight without opening or touching them. The residual heat was perfect and would not burn them and you did not have to rotate or turn them. In the morning they would be perfectly cooked. When roasting peanuts it is easy to overcook them as they continue to cook in the shell once you take them off the heat. If you cook them till they test done then take them off the heat they will continue cooking in the shell and burn.

I bought peanuts in the souks in Saudi when working there. They were 5 riyals per kg as I remember and pretty good. After I while I asked the dealer how much the shelled ones next to them cost. He told me 5 riyals a kg too so that changed my purchase procedure - my Mama didn't raise no fool. The street venders there would cook them in a wok full of salt over hot charcoal, take them out with a slotted spoon and shake most of the salt back then sell them for 1 riyal (about a quarter if I remember correctly) in a rolled up tube from an old computer printout. They tasted just like the salted peanuts in the stores.

In Cameroon in west Africa the street women in Douala sold roasted peanuts on the street corners. A 1/5 whiskey bottle packed completely full cost around 500 cfs (a little over a dollar if I remember correctly). They all had a wire and a small rag. They'd use the wire and rag to wash and polish the bottle till it shined (water was probably from a puddle or street drain), rub the husks off the roasted peanuts by hand (I think they roasted them in a barrel turned over an open fire - I never saw that part of the process), then packed them in the whiskey bottle till not another peanut would fit. I'd bring dried cranberries from home and mix and made great trail mix. When the women weren't washing bottles or packing peanuts in the bottles they use their wires (Old coat hangers I think) to braid each other's hair.

Peanuts were used as a thickener in soup and stews and such over there and was a staple diet. I visited a pygmy family and the lady was grinding them between two river rocks. Before I got there I never knew they even grew peanuts over there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Showing that picture is cruel and unusual punishment.   smiley_smash
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

69bronco

Quote from: Magicman on August 17, 2016, 08:56:56 AM
Showing that picture is cruel and unusual punishment.   smiley_smash
It sure is.... steve_smiley

21incher

That looks good. Where is a good place to get raw peanuts? All the ones I have found here in the north say not for human consumpution, for squirrel feed only. The only ones I can find you can eat around here are roasted. Can you boil the roasted ones if raw ones are not available?  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WV Sawmiller

21",

Sorry but I would not advise boiling roasted peanuts. I think you'd just end up with mush in a shell. Sometimes you can find boiled peanuts in a can and they are not bad if you can't get fresh ones.

Unless the ones listed for squirrel food indicated they had some kind of pesticide on them I'd think they would be edible. (There are probably stricter regs on what we can feed the animals than what we eat ourselves anyway). Usually dry raw peanuts are roasted but my expert buddy used to boil them. He said it just took a lot longer as they wanted to float. I don't know if you could put then in some kind of metal cooking cage (like an inverted trainer or putting the strainer on top to push them down to sink them) to speed the process. I'd bet that would be a good time to try the pressure cooker technique.

Good luck and remember if you can't get boiled peanuts roasted ones are good too.

In Cameroon the local boys would go out in the bush and find some kind of round root nut about the size of a hickory nut. They would boil it and sell them at intersections or toll gates or any place traffic slowed down. They had a thin shell you could crack with your teeth and they tasted to me just like giant boiled peanuts. I'd buy some every time a kid approached with some. I still have no idea what kind of plant they came off.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

I just can't do boiled peanuts.

Salted, in the shell are my favorites.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

I buy raw peanuts in 1.5 lb bags at the local supermarket. They also stock roasted.
Package says "Raw Jumbo Virginia Peanuts, packed by Hinds Nut Co. Dallas Texas..
I don't boil them, eat 'em raw...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 10, 2014, 07:53:29 AM
You boil the raw ones.  If you don't roast them or boil them, the raw ones will give you a stomach ache.

I've never had the raw ones give me a stomach ache. In fact, I'll eat all you give me.  :D :D :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

petefrom bearswamp

Tried them once several years ago and found the to right down there with grits.
But being an open minded yankee, I will give them another shot while in FL this winter (boiled peanuts not grits).
There is an older black fellow that sells them roadside right by my development.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Stop by and see me and I will give you a bag to take home. 

21incher

Quote from: WDH on August 18, 2016, 07:35:34 AM
Stop by and see me and I will give you a bag to take home. 
Sounds like that may be the only way for us northerners to get our hands on fresh raw peanuts to to try and boil. I think I will try and find a can of them to try first, to see if I like them.:)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

I have never tried the canned boiled peanuts, so I do not know if/how they compare with the "real  thing".

Thank You Sponsors!