iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deluxe Property Gate Design

Started by insculpta, November 08, 2014, 03:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insculpta

Hi,

I'm a new member and a new landowner.  About a year ago, on our 21st Wedding Anniversary, my wife and I realized our dream of buying some land and bought 495 acres in central Maine, which we are calling Bear Brook Estate.  Given that we do not live on the property yet, one of the first things we wanted to do is put up a gate.  I looked high and low for forestry gate plans and ended up with a custom gate based on plans from forum members and a US Forest Service design.  I thought I'd post a few pics in case other members had a hard time finding plans for a very secure gate:

This is the finished gate made of schedule 40 steel pipe.  It was painted with two coats of POR-15, which
was suggested by the manufacturer.

This is the gate hinge side, but notice there are no hinges, it is simply a bigger pipe over a narrower one.  There are round steel
pieces welded to the inside of the larger outer gate pipe to prevent wobble. No rusty hinges, no vulnerability to attack.

This is the lock portion of the gate.  The flange fits into a notch at the top of the post.  That post has a small side access port for accessing the padlock, making it
near impossible to access with hacksaw, bolt cutters, prybars, etc. 

This is the post assembly.  Note the crosspiece that keeps the posts at the proper distance from each other.

We paid another landowner in the area to dig the gate trench for us.  It was 15 ft long, by 3 ft deep, by about 2 ft wide.

Here's the gate assembly settling in 4 cubic yards of concrete (16,000 lbs of concrete)

Since the gate is so heavy, we filled the schedule 40 gate support post with concrete.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

redbeard

Nice Gate, Por 15 is the best, it lasts along time.  And if you get some on your hands it also lasts along time.   Welcome to forum
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, insculpta. 

That is a very nice gate with some innovative features.  Also, congrats on the picture posting.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

It's going to take someone with a much better back than mine to steal it! Nice.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ljohnsaw

Wow, nice gate.  So simple yet secure.  But, you are going to need some bigger rocks to prevent driving around.  I could send you a couple of mine  ;)

This one is about 5 foot x 6 foot.  I can let you have it for 10 cents a pound, FOB :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

I'm closer,my FOB would be less.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kensfarm

But that rock has a big scratch on it..  you might have to sell it at a discount.. or label it refurbished.   ;D

insculpta

Yes, I definitely need larger boulders!  The property came with an active gravel pit and there are erratics (giant boulders that the glacier left) scattered around the property.  Our neighbor's John Deer just could not move them in the time we had.  I'll likely ask one of the logging companies that work in the area to move a couple over!

I forgot to post a couple pics of Bear Brook Estate!

Ljohnsaw

WOW! Looks like heaven to me!   8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sixacresand

Good job and welcome to the Forum.  That gate is not going anywhere.  Enjoy your land. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Mooseherder

Looks like Trout heaven to me.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)

drobertson

Very nice gate and design!  I especially like the brook!  just beautiful!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. Very nice place. Very nice heavy gate. If you haven't already, you may want to add a grease fitting so it will swing easy. You wouldn't want that thing to seize  up. For those out there that use a chain and multiple locks for your gate, here is a build that I used and like it real well. bg http://kk.org/streetuse/2008/04/one-gate-multiple-locks/

insculpta

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on November 09, 2014, 10:14:28 AM
If you haven't already, you may want to add a grease fitting so it will swing easy. You wouldn't want that thing to seize  up.

Do you have any suggestions as to the best way to add a grease fitting to this gate?  Could it be as simple as adding a grease fitting from AutoZone to the top of the post?  None of the plans I reviewed called for one, but now that you mention it, it makes sense...  As I mentioned, I'm rather new at this so all suggestions welcome!

insculpta

Ken

Very nice looking gate.  I'm assuming you have it far enough in the ground that the frost won't heave one side or the other.  Makes it hard to lock if that happens.  Don't ask how I know.   Looks like a beautiful property.  Love to own that much in one parcel.  Makes for a lot of options.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

insculpta

Quote from: Ken on November 09, 2014, 04:33:24 PM
Very nice looking gate.  I'm assuming you have it far enough in the ground that the frost won't heave one side or the other.  Makes it hard to lock if that happens.  Don't ask how I know.

Yes, the gate is down 3 ft but I also had a crosspiece welded between the two upright posts so they cannot separate (see picture of post assembly being loaded on to trailer), then we encased that in a 16,000 lb concrete monolith. The soil is very well drained glacial till (i.e., sand, gravel, rock).  In fact, you may notice the puddles by the gate uprights in the first few photos.  That was all that was left after hurricane Arthur blew through and we got about 4" of rain in a week. 

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

insculpta

Quote from: barbender on November 09, 2014, 05:53:57 PM
Can I come fishing? ;D

My 10-yr old son Colin and I have only fished once for brook trout so far (while the concrete was setting).  And, all I caught were 5" and 8" landlocked salmon!   8) 

To be honest, I wasn't sure what the heck they were so we released both.  Good thing too as the minimum length for salmon is 14" long. 

Bill Gaiche

I would say the grease should be put in at the top right above the inner post where it makes contact with the outer post. That is where the bearing surface would be and any extra grease may find its way down and along the inside of the outer pipe to lube where it wears against the rods you installed. Just me thinking so you may find a better install. bg

insculpta

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on November 09, 2014, 08:20:59 PM
I would say the grease should be put in at the top right above the inner post where it makes contact with the outer post. That is where the bearing surface would be and any extra grease may find its way down and along the inside of the outer pipe to lube where it wears against the rods you installed. Just me thinking so you may find a better install. bg

Thanks Bill!

insculpta

Thank You Sponsors!