iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbco Bar Saw sprocket problems

Started by IMOWOOD, November 07, 2014, 01:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMOWOOD

I have a 425D Timbco with the bar saw.  I run the Oregon pin style sprocket on it and have had good luck in the past with them untill recently.  Ive had to replcae the pins about once a month for the last 3 months.  It will cut great for about a month or so then the pins seem to break out.  in the past I would get about 6 months out of a set of pins till they were groved up pretty good but they wold almost never break.  Im at a loss for what can be wrong.  The bar is good and in line with the sprocket, the drivers on the chains arent tore up at all and when i put new pins in the sprocket they rotate free. Just curoius if anyone else has had a simular issue.   

BargeMonkey

I dont quite know, I can only guess but I know your definitely cutting more wood than me.  :D  if the pins rotate freely when you break the sprocket apart could you have a  couple bad drivers ?  A loop or two of chain thats got a kink you dont see and wipes it out ? Ive been told you usually rebuild them 1-2x then go new. Im interested to know what you find out, ive got a C and havent had any sprocket trouble yet. Where in eastern NY are you ?

IMOWOOD

yea my chains are good, usually have a half dozen or so in rotation.. Have you ever tried the spur style sprocket.  I just ordered one to try out but don't really know how well they work.

I'm about 15 min from the mass line.  Work all over though but try to stay in the Rensselaer, Columbia, Greene area.

BargeMonkey

Comstock has 1 in stock for me, ive still got a rebuildable one on mine, havent touched it yet. Lets see...  you know Henry Rubel ? Any of the Creeche's ? Brian Bower ?

IMOWOOD

Yea know them all. I know John, dont know Henry too well.

BargeMonkey

Its a small world. Just finished a lot up with Bower, bidded on another one tonight. Creech's are good people. I watched him do some of the hunter mt zipline work, hes a smooth operator. Im in Gilboa. Rarely go off the mt to cut. Few lots down cairo way coming up.

IMOWOOD

It sure is.  I haven't worked in Greene co. for a while now.  Cut one towards the back side of hunter for tony threw a mill last winter, that job sucked.  Nice wood but way back in.  Ask Brian when you see him next who cut the saw mill land in Milford, he'll tell you who I am.

BargeMonkey

There are some woodlots way out in nowhere in -greene-delaware- schoharie county.  Do you just have a tilt head or a 360 wrist ? Did you happen to get an undercarriage this spring thru flo-weld ?

lumbertick

I have had this problem... Ur whole sprocket is wore out... Either put a whole new sprocket on or go with the new style that doesn't have the pins... I switched I like it a lot better... I got through three sprockets a year now cutting 200 cord a week

Brleclaire

Get the rim sprocket style. They're way better than the pin or spur style. The spur will really tear up a chain if the chain come off while cutting. We gave away brand new pin sprockets that how much we liked them. The rim ones would last us a whole season of cutting.

IMOWOOD

I'll have to look into the rim spocket that's what I used to run on the Bells I had before. 

Bargemonkey, I just have a 40 degree head.  A 360 would be nice but I'm thinking about going to a quadco intermittent head with a 360.  We cut a lot of pulp and the bar saw can be real slow at times.

Thank You Sponsors!