iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Irish Wolfhounds!

Started by redbeard, November 06, 2014, 11:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billbob

Quote from: tule peak timber on November 11, 2014, 02:32:25 PM
The photo of your crew is terrific ! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)Border collies are too cool for school ! :D

Thanks. Dogs can be very forgiving can't they?  Especially when you put sunglasses on them! :D

Whatever kind of dog you get, Redbeard, big or small, you'll be happy.  How could you not.....It's a dog!! :laugh:

Here is one of my favorite quotes about dogs:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
—Will Rogers
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Lud

I've had Newfoundlands for over 20 years.  Daphne will be my last as the wife doesn't like the tumbleweeds and drifts of hair.  I've been towed on cross country skiis by a a father and son with just a lungeline clipped on their collars.  A great breed that's known as the gentle giant.  Kind of like having your own black bear.  Sends the door-to-door crowd packin'.

They just smell good.  Mostly a 8-10 year breed but she's 13!  I was telling her to hang on last Spring until the ground thawed but she's still with us albeit a bit gimpy in the hips.  I've pre-dug and have a couple of bales in the hole if she goes this winter.

Look into them.  A great history.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

tule peak timber

On dogs; we have been unbelievably lucky. People give us dogs, we find dogs on the roadside and dogs come our way. The dogs that we have, there have been 7, we are now down to 4, are all full bred mutts, larger  misbreeds, rejected by others and absolutely loved here at Tule Peak Timber. We have had the remaining 4 pups for in excess of 13-14 years, and praying for more years. It is a funny thing, that when the summer thunder storms hit, the woodworking shop fills in with all of the other neighbor dogs for literally a mile around because this is a good place to be. Having a good place to be is a good thing, all around. We have had all larger dogs by luck of the draw and dealt with the snake bites, accidental poisonings, one kidnapping (with ransom paid and dog returned), and sadly some run over situations, one recovered, one sadly not. My dogs are the best family members I could ever be blessed with and that said, I might gently suggest that you adopt or look around for a pup that would be with you for many years, helping at the mill, helping at the house, helping in the woodshop and offering you loyalty that a purchase dog simply cannot offer. A subject I am well schooled on and very passionate about. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

davidlarson

I have a friend who seems to attract strays of various kinds that he adopts.  At one point he had acquired two  dogs of uncertain ancestry that he adopted.  Each one had lost a leg, presumably to a motor vehicle encounter, but had recovered.  So he had two three-legged dogs.  The rumor in the community, I'm not sure if it was true, was that he had somehow attached the two dogs together with duct tape, and took them to a Halloween costume party, dressed as an insect.  He is a good-hearted fellow, and would never have done something the dogs would not have agreed to.

sandhills

We have those "adopted" animals too, our mastiff and a horse or two, they're the best kind but I wouldn't give up the chosen ones either.  A few weeks ago I hit my neighbor's dog with a semi load of beans, Think I weighed about 78,000 that load.  This was inevitable because she chases everything that goes by their place but my heart sank to my toes, she ran out smack dab in the middle of that truck and I didn't have time to do anything.  Long story short I called him and told him I'd take care of her on the way back, just don't let the boys come out and see her, he said oh no she's here now (up at his shop) I'll take her to the vet.  No idea how that dog missed 5 axles but when she hears the old Detroit coming now she heads for the shop!  Still chases cars and pickups though  ::).  Worst part is they're very good friends of ours so anytime my wife or I stop to get after her she runs up wagging her tail because she knows us  :-\.

redbeard

Kelly and I finally made our decision on our next chapter of Dogs. We chose Boz Shepard's, we picked a brother and sister ( fixing decision will be made this summer on which one) There a great livestock guard dog and ours are 3/4 Boz 1/4 Kangel. Lots of info on internet on this breed, even though its not a recognized Breed in US the Turkish breeders have been breeding them for years. I would have never known about them if not meeting a sawmill client that owns a magnificent stud named Titus shown in pic with wet pups we just bathed. He's  a 1-1/2 and is 36 at shoulders and weighs in at a 150. Kangels and Turkish Shepard's with a few others is what makes the Boz Shepard's. They have a real mild temperament with kids and pets. They can make good decisions on threats. Coyotes are no stopping them though but that's ok with me. So we now have two new employees to run the woodlot.I will get some better pics as they grow up. Does anyone else have any familiarity of these dogs. There's some great stories about them. I hope mine will be like there father most mellow temperament he will let kids take a bone from him.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

giant splinter

Redbeard,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your two dogs, I do remember meeting them, they where both great pets and it is sad to hear that they are now gone. I think you have made a good choice and I bet the two of them will be great pets and guard dogs.
I have met up with three of our forum members and all three have a strong friendship with their well behaved dogs as well as other animals in their lives. Redbeard is the nearest in Washington, John in Montana and Rob in California are dog and animal people that I have had the pleasure to meet along with their dogs and other animals.
I just wish I had more time to spend traveling around the country and visiting with members of this Forestry Forum.
                                                                     G S

roll with it

tule peak timber

And a pleasure meeting you too !  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Tom L

I have a friend who is a farmer in central jersey who has two wolf hounds, he bought them to get rid of the coyotes on the property, he has 100 acres fenced in and lets the animals roam the property 24/7

they have killed all the coyotes and protect his animals. very large , nasty looking animals that I would not want to meet up with in the woods.

sawguy21

WOW!! 150 lbs at a year and a half, I bet he is hard on a bag of groceries. Great thread, we are dog lovers too. I always preferred bigger dogs, never liked yappy ankle biters, but ended up with two toy poodles that give us so much pleasure. One big advantage is they can travel with us in the pickup. We can't imagine life without them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

Speaking of big dogs, :D :D :D
I like small female dogs myself I also like starting out with a puppy. They make small messes and can learn to ride on the bike with me.

I had to put my little dog Tica down last October due to liver cancer.

I've always had dogs that find me in a way.

After 5 months of going without 3 weeks ago I saw this little Lady being pulled down the street on a string by a punk who should have been on a string or at least in the pound himself. My vote is a heavy "string" from a tree.....

We talked. His "friend" had just given her to him and he had no idea what kind she was and in conversion I learned he didn't have $$ to even buy cigs much less care for a puppy.
Now she's my puppy. Took her right to the Vet, she was full of worms and covered with fleas, scabs and bites. We figure she was 6 weeks old then.

Have no idea what kind or how big she'll get. I think she'll stay small and DanG sure hope she's not a pit.
She's got small paws so I'm optimistic.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

fishpharmer

Raider Bill, I like happy endings.  Nice looking pup.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WmFritz

I look forward to seeing pics of Chubie on your bike.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Alexanderthelate

That's no bull in that one, or if there is, it's well back in the line. I'll bet my cap on that.  ;)

redbeard

Raider bill He or she looks chiawawa and terrier mix. Not seeing pit in the mix.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Den Socling

Just for the heck of it, why not visit a local shelter and see if anyone captures you eye and heart. You could save the life of a good dog.

WDH

Bill,

Maybe a little beagle blood in her too.  Here is my little beagle Sadie helping me pick out some quartersawn sycamore for a customer in Oklahoma.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

Ok you folks sure know how to identify wood and logs better than dog breeds!  :D :D :D :D  Bill we are dog lovers too and wish you the best, I don't care what breed Chubie is, she's a winner, very sorry to hear about Tica though. 

Raider Bill

I too think she's terrier/chi. She thinks she's pit / great dane.
I've had very good luck with chi mixes. Tica was a chi / shitz zu.
Only once have I bought a full breed and he was a Yorkie. Great dog, very lovable and was totally a people pleaser but the medical issues that dog had boggled my mind. Skin, bones, joints all from in breeding.

Naming a dog is hard. In order to please a lot of my friends I named her Chubie' pronounced Sho-Bay but call her chubby so my friends think I named her after them.

Putting a pet down is one of the hardest choices there is.
Waking up in the morning to a puppy licking your face is way better than a alarm clock.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandhills

Bill, you got your hands full now don't ya  :D.  I know about putting them down, we had to with our Pyrenese? Zodie for cancer too, I guess I look at it as how would I want to live.  She was a town favorite, every once in awhile she'd stroll through the greenhouse across the highyway (they gave her treats which didn't help) my inlaws lived about 10 blocks away so she'd visit them from time to time, nobody ever questioned where the big white dog came from (small town), or the miniature pony that liked to roam around from time to time

GrahamW

Here are my two hard at work.  Golden lab and a Rottweiler Akita cross both rescue dogs which meant they had names and could not call then our usual dog name of Soonah (As in soon as [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] on the floor than outside|)

Regards

Thank You Sponsors!