The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: C4 ignition replacement  (Read 594 times)

Offline Rybo

• I'm new!
C4 ignition replacement
« on: November 06, 2014, 07:55:29 pm »
Having trouble getting power to starter on late 60's c4 with ford industrial diesel.  Very likely battery issue. Need to have batteries load tested and some other trouble shooting. 

Got to looking at inition set up I see a resister on firewall.  Was curious if it is necessary?  Original  Ignition switch has been replaced. Replacement switch is connected into original switch via resister.  Power cables are also still connected to original.  Not sure if original acted as a disconnect also? Which I would like to add.

Long story short would like to redo setup before weather turns colder. What's the best way to get power to starter?

Offline HiTech

Re: C4 ignition replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:35:30 pm »
Welding cable makes the best leads. Very fine copper wire that carries the juice really well. Positive to the starter and negative to the engine or bell housing. I would use some kind of master switch also. I have my positive lead going to the master, some use the negative. 2/0 is what i use.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
Re: C4 ignition replacement
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 10:06:37 am »
Welding cable makes the best leads. Very fine copper wire that carries the juice really well. Positive to the starter and negative to the engine or bell housing. I would use some kind of master switch also. I have my positive lead going to the master, some use the negative. 2/0 is what i use.
A master switch is a must. Spend the money on a good one, can save your machine. We tend to put them inside the engine housing or doors, behind the locks so it takes alot more work if someone decides to mess with it.