iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plantin' trees in Alabama

Started by CHARLIE, February 27, 2002, 08:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

Tom and I have a first cousin, Greg, that lives in a small town not far from Auburn, Alabama. His wife sent me a list of the trees he has planted on his property and I thought I'd share it with y'all. Greg and his wife Carol aren't sawyers or loggers, but just plain love the outdoors and all that it gives back.

Over 3000 Loblolly Pines
171 Sawtooth Oaks
100 Bi-color Lespedeza
65 Autumn Olives
32 Honey suckle plants in an arbor
28 Bald Cypress
28 Chestnut Oaks
15 Bur Oaks
11 Common Persimmon
10 Allegheny Chinkapin
9 White Oaks
8 Southern Crabapples
6 Blueberry Bushes
5 Pecan Trees
5 Japanese Persimmon
5 Chinese Chestnut
5 Arkansas Black Apple
5 Yates Apple
5 Pear Trees
4 Wild Apple
4 Overcup Oaks
3 Dwarf Chinkapin Oak
3 Callaway Crabapple
2 Shumard Oak
1 Italian Stone Pine

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Scott

That's sure some "vegetative diversity".
~Ron

Tillaway

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Bud Man

Sounds like a Callaway's Garden in the making. Got any pics.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Frank_Pender

During the right season, they are able to take their grits and have some of the fruits of their efforts as a chasser. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

RavioliKid

Wow!  :o

How long did it take them to plant all those trees?

RavioliKid

Bud Man

I see a gentleman, in a beautiful country setting, with a pair of binoculars sitting on a meticulously landscaped and well kept rear patio sipping on a Mint Julep that his lovely wife has just made for him as he returned from a day of hard work.  The grounds are dotted with specimen trees and plants from all parts of the globe and it has several ponds surrounded with Cypress and Chinese Sawtooth Oaks that are rippled by the dabblings of Wood ducks and Mandarin ducks and various types of Swans.  Privacy has been guaranteed  by the carefull planting of 3000 pines that encircle the Estate and only passing planes are away of this Shangri-la.  But-- alas--as a cloud of birds approaches from the north and as dusk sets in--he lifts his binoculars for one last glimpse of another glorious day on The Plains Of Auburn Alabama-- 4 Million Starlings Are Arriving  :o :o
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

CHARLIE

Rav, I don't know how long it took him to plant all those trees but I know that he's always planting. I'll ask and let you know.

Budman, you ain't far off. They actually have a nice home on an old family farm. The home sits about
10 yards from a large pond which Greg has stocked with catfish (He keeps the catfish well fed). He and Carol plant a nice sized vegetable garden, plus have several fruit trees around (pear, fig, etc). They have several dozen wild turkey living there and they watch them many evenings congregate off in the distant woods and meander across the pasture to the pond for a drink.  He also has plenty of deer on the property. Greg bow hunts and Carol hunts with a rifle and bow hunts.  Only thing is, Greg isn't the type of guy that can sit back and enjoy a mint julep while looking over his property. In fact, Greg can't sit for more than 5 minutes and then he's got to get up and go do something....like work in the garden or plant trees. They sure do love that piece of earth though and get the most enjoyment from it and the wildlife that lives there.   :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bud Man

Charlie-- 20 Years of in-home sales has been an adventure. I've seen many Tara's and Seven Oaks of all sizes and I'm sure his place is one as well.  The beautiful ones are always created and maintained by high energy people that go the extra yard and don't sit around idly.  Love to see some pics.

Thank You Sponsors!