iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold weather skidder start timberjack 230

Started by roadrunner36, November 04, 2014, 09:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadrunner36

Just curious about a good method of starting the skidder when you are not able to plug the block heater in.

I have read about exchanging anti freeze and am curious if this is a viable solution.

MrTjack

I have the antifreeze exchange on my skidder (81' TJ240 453 detroit) a little afraid to use it though heard of people cracking their block on the truck don't know if its true or not. I always turn it over till it smokes then give it a little snort of ether. Hasn't fail me yet..

Woodboogah

I just crank a little, stop, crank a little. Stop, let's the cylinders warm up. Have not had Zn issue in cold weather doing this way. Have tried dryer vent from tailpipe of puck up in engine block. Works ok, takes a while. If you try that method keep away from starter.  A lot of condensation occurs.  Oh this us on an 84 tj 240 w/4-53. I would stay far away from ether.  Just my opinion though. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Gary_C

The first thing to do is switch oil to a 5W-40 full synthetic oil. You will be amazed at how much difference this will make. Does not guarantee it will start as everything else must be up to snuff, but every little bit helps.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Maine logger88

I bought a 1700 watt generator and just plug it in for a half hour. If it's not real cold and will only take a little either I'll just do that. A little either will not hurt them it's really feeding it too them that gives trouble
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

chester_tree _farmah

Quite a few folks do the coolant exchange around here. Be interesting to hear if anyone knows it can crack a block or head. I worked at the Ford dealer here for a few years and saw one cracked head on a new truck. The owner of the dealership said the exchange caused it but others have done it for years with no issues. Has to be safer then the old fire under the belly pan trick though. :-p
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

David-L

Straight 30WT (Cf2 Rating) oil in a Detroit two stroke for cold weather, Block heater, small portable gen set and run for 1/2 to an hr. No either and she starts every time.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

chet

I've done quick coupler route to exchange antifreeze for many years. Many different vehicles and never had a problem. I did know a guy years ago that connected one of his  hoses to a oil pressure sending hole. That didn't work out to well.  ::)

Ran an air cooled Deutz in a C5D for many years. I made a heat tube out of stove pipe and a weed burner. 10 ta 15 minutes and it would start like it was summer time. :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ken

A small generator is well worth the money.  Plug it in for bit while you drink your coffee or get your saws ready.  A little ether is not a bad thing.  Also park the machine out of the wind.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

David-L

Oh ya, I almost forgot. Last year I bought a tile heater blow gun and would also heat the primary and secondary fuel filters when it got real cold. Say 10 degrees and below. Lighter viscosity Diesel combust's easier as the flash point is different than heavy Cold diesel. They will run, but you have to be patient unless you got the Duetz.

David l

barbender

One thing I've found with ether, is don't use a cold can. Keep it warm, it atomizes but if it's cold it sprays as a liquid. I have a 3.9 Cummins that ether locks if you use a cold can, I think that's how people throw rods and what not.
Too many irons in the fire

lopet

I think it's all about compression and cranking amps. When your engine gets a little sloppy  and you batteries  are getting week, that's when you get in trouble.  Cooling exchange , ether, warming up the intake air, that all helps.
What engine are you talking about roadrunner and what temperatures ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

David-L

Lopet, good thought, there is a gear reduction starter clip some where in the forum. If I recall it was from Masco and was used in the marine industry and they make one for the 53 series detroit. Spins twice the speed as the old AC Delco. they also make a higher amperage starter ( AC Delco ) but is pricey. Mine is getting weak and the masco will be on the machine this winter.

David l

snowstorm

my 3.9 cummins has a gear reduction starter. 24 volt starters work better in the cold

roadrunner36

The engine is a 353 Detroit and temps here in Ontario can get as low as -30 deg Celsius.

I need to change the oil out soon anyways, so maybe I will try the synthetic oil route to see if that helps any.

The portable generator root may be viable as well.  Not sure what kind of wattage the block headers need though.

Maine logger88

David the Clark I'm renting has a gear reduction starter the 453 that's in it. It's so much better it's not even funny! Roadrunner when I bought my block heater he said they came in 750 and 1000 I bought a 1000 and at -17F 35 min on the generator and it would start in 3 flips with no either.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

roadrunner36

the generator that I have (it was my fathers) is a diesel as well. not to sure on how it would start on cold weather days as well.  Might just be a long stream of trying to get one thing going in order to start the next thing.  Such is life.

Thx everyone for your input.

deerguy

Not quite sure where you are located in Ontario, but I can appreciate your issues with your TJ and cold weather starting. My ol' girl has a new starter, well set fuel system and a stubborn streak regarding cold starts !! A few rolls, a very light sniff of ether and away she goes, but when I say a light whiff I mean it. Plus, as previously mentioned, I keep my can on the dash of the pickup and its always warm. I have the i n-line heater for the coolant so I can plug it in, still looking for the time to install.......
As mentioned above, go easy on the ether, it's great stuff but has a definite down side !!!

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

OntarioAl

roadrunner36
In my part of Northwest Ontario this style of propane circulating heater was very popular. I still use mine.
It uses quick couplers to connect the heater to the system. The "fire" is remote from the machine. In really cold weather I would let it run all night fire it up at the end of the day and it keeps the heat in the head and block.
I have a couple of "nose" blankets made out of used mill felt that I would use to tarp in the engine compartment to keep as much heat in.
In he morning it may be -20F but it starts up just like summer.
Al

Al Raman

Oliver05262

Ontario Al, who makes that style of propane heater? I've heard of heaters like that, but nobody I know uses one. I might like to get one of my customers to be first!!
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

OntarioAl

Olivero5262
I believe that they were first made at or near Hearst Ontario.
I  do not know if they are still being made I have had mine for over 20 years.
They are the "Cats meow" for sure.
Al
Al Raman

roadrunner36

Al what circulates the fluid out of the heater and then into the block?

OntarioAl

Folks
The unit was manufactured in Longlac Ontario (west of Hearst) the design was patented in 1975,
It circulates the water by convection.
Al
Al Raman

tj240

change the oil synthetic doesn't turn molasses, good batteries, and a small sniff of either. should fire right up.  detroits like a little not alot.  i have a duetze needed either twice. good luck
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

deerguy

Hey OntarioAl, was your TJ the one parked on the side of a hwy clearing job just east of Thunder Bay, Ont in Sept ?? It was parked beside a Hydroax if I remember correctly ????

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!