iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS461 vs. 576XP/AT

Started by SteveinUT, November 03, 2014, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveinUT

Hey all- I've been surfing around the search feature and I've come up with some good info, but I didn't stumble across a direct comparison between these two. I'm considering buying another saw. I have a Husq 460 that's been a good saw, but I'm set on getting a pro saw. That way when my son comes woodcutting with me, he can run the 460 and I'll run the bigger CC saw. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the MS461 or the 576 XP with AT.

As best I can tell, these are pretty comparable. But, I'm just a dumb gunplumber that cuts a lot of firewood each year. So, I'm looking for your opinions. I've never had a Stihl, but I know their reputation. I kind of have a thing for Husky's since my first .22 rifle is a Husqvarna, and my go-to big game rifle is a Husqvarna .270. But, I'm actually leaning toward the 461 since its sexy and something different. But, ya'll know better than me! I mostly cut around 15 cords of aspen and pines (biggest would be around 24-30" or so), at elevations between 8000-10,000 feet. Also, I have both Husqvarna and Stihl dealers in town. The Stihl dealer is probably slightly better in the customer service department.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your advice!
-Steve
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
RIP TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy- KIA 22 Jan 06, near Taji, Iraq. You will never be forgotten.

038 Magnum, 2100CD, 460 Rancher, 10-10A, and a few more...

JohnG28

I can't speak to running a 576xp or a 461, but I really like my 460. I keep a 24" bar on it most of the time and it runs really nice even in hardwood.  Have a 20" that it really rocks with also. I have not heard any bad of the 461, only positive. And it does look sweet! I'm not sure about the 576, I believe HolmenTree has one of them that is an AT and likes it, but I'll let him verify that for sure. Good luck and have fun saw shopping!   :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Spartan

I have a 461, its one of my falling saws (main one and favorite), 2 years and counting on it.  very reliable and good power to weight.
only problem I have had with it was I broke a tooth off the chain adjuster gear, but still works fine.  Its been through a lot and I would get another one in a heart beat.

never run a 576, but if you don't want to mess with the carb at altitude changes the AT might be nice.

Andyshine77

I have experience with the 576AT and I can assure you it's a top of the line saw. Smooth, strong and well made. The 461 is for the most part a redesigned 460, it's not really a completely new saw. Nevertheless it will not disappoint, and like all Stihl pro saws it will be around for a long time.

Handle both, run both if you can and pick the one you like the best. You won't regret buying either one.
Andre.

HolmenTree

I've heard alot of good things about the MS461, but still rubber mount anti vibe.
I've had good luck with the 576XP AT, had 3 of them starting 5 years ago for a powersaw competition I run.
A smooth spring anti vibe and air injection which keeps the filter clean a long time. It can handle a 32" b/c with no problem in oversize wood. Very strong running saws and reliable.
Last pic is a MS460 Magnum back in the day.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Back in the winter of 2009/10 when they were still nice and shiny.

Southside

I have a 576XP pre AT and I love how it handles with either a 20" or 24" bar. I have a larger Stihl, 660, but prefer the throttle response of the Husky. Personally the whole AT and computer chip does not thrill me as it is one more system to fail.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sweetjetskier

I have 20- 25 hours run time on a 461 with 20" b/c as the main set up and am very happy with it.

It has great filtration with the new hd2 filter, smooth as silk power, plenty of low end torque is always there, no hesitations under heavy load.

The saw is somewhat stingy on gas for 76cc, even the AV system is good for a non-spring saw.

To me, it comes down to how the dealer takes care of the customer before AND after the sale in choosing where to spend my money.

We have better Stihl dealers than Husqvarna where I am, so Stihl is generally what i run.
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Spartan

Just thought of something and you may be aware of this already in picking your saw, but make sure you are getting enough saw for your liking as cutting at those elevations will rob approximately 25% of your saw's power.

KyLogger

After having two 576 XPs and having them both go down on me in less than two years of commercial falling, I am disappointed with the Huskys. One shot a spark plug out and stripped the head, the other, blew up. Well I say blew up but the piston and cylinder are scarred up pretty bad. Needs rebuilt! That being said my main falling saw now is a 390XP that I love, and my all time favorite is my 044 Magnum, that the local saw shop has had for over two years to rebuild!!!! I cannot speak for the 461 as I haven't had the chance to use one but I did truly love the 576's handling and power to weight ratio, as well as the way it made its power. They were a pleasure to fell with all day. I plan rebuilding the one some day....

Just my $0.02

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

SteveinUT

Thanks everyone! I've been seeing enough mixed reviews on the 576 that now I'm thinking maybe I'd just be better off buying a 372 and saving the little bit of money at the same time. Fortunately, I don't cut wood for a living and I'm not in any big hurry. The cutting season here is almost over. I went up on the mountain and cut another cord yesterday with my Husq 460. There's already snow up there, unfortunately.
-Steve
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
RIP TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy- KIA 22 Jan 06, near Taji, Iraq. You will never be forgotten.

038 Magnum, 2100CD, 460 Rancher, 10-10A, and a few more...

Maine logger88

I have no experience with a 576 or a 461 and I'm sure there both great saws but you can't go wrong with a 372!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ehp

this is just me , I have had both at same time , the 461 is still here and the 576 went down the road , nothing wrong with the 576 but I like the 461 better

clww

I have not run a Husky, but I do run a 460 or 461 most days of the week. If I had to choose, I prefer the older 460. Better power output and more reliable operation than our year-old 461s the company purchased in 2013.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HolmenTree

Quote from: ehp on November 09, 2014, 06:59:25 PM
this is just me , I have had both at same time , the 461 is still here and the 576 went down the road , nothing wrong with the 576 but I like the 461 better
Yes the 461 is newer on the market alright, compared to the 6 year old plus 576 unit.

ehp

I just donot like the weight of the 576 for the power I was getting out of it

Andyshine77

The only issue the 576 has is weight. other than that I feel it's a better all around saw than the old 372. More power, smooth, and IMHO better build quality. People down the 575 and 576, but everyone that that I respect and has owned one, still has it or regrets selling it. But what do I know. 8)     
Andre.

ehp

around here and up north you can hardly give a 576 away to anyone ,no dealers carry them in stock , they do mod pretty good but no one wants to carry that much weight

HolmenTree

I'm doing a SawTroll thing here but I went through the #'s from the respective factory websites.

MS461 - 14.8 lbs.

576XP - 14.55 lbs.

372XP XT-14.11 lbs.

HolmenTree

It's strange the MS461 hasn't been introduced with the CM (M Tronic) like the MS661 CM, 441 and  241 have done. Then the 461 would be an interesting saw.

I found the Auto Tune worked better on the 576XP then what my newer 562XP has to offer.

ehp

Why would that be ? a carb setup will always beat a autotune cause the autotune never sets itself correct to produce power , just take a couple weeks ago Pete has a 362 with carb and a 362 mtronic , the way the saws came from the stihl shop the mtronic beat the 362 carb in 20 inch wood , I set the carb up proper and it beat the Mtronic everytime and more than just abit , the Mtronic was to lean to make power to cut hard maple good, yep it cut it but you could not put much pressure on it , At least with a carb you can set the jets , the autotune/Mtronic you need to do more work on it to make it work the way I want it to work ,
I will not run a saw that has a bog in it , As far as my 461 , its a arctic saw and sees not much cut time unless it dam cold out then I run it , I just got my 562 xpg but I will redo the autotune before it ever gets gas in it . What I demand from a saw more than likely is different then most people , I'm a very picky type of person but thats the way I am

HolmenTree

Well whether we like it or not AutoTune, MTronic is here to stay especially with fuel injection coming around the corner.
Myself making a living with a saw for 40  years I like this AT/CM technology.......better things to come.
I put most of my energy into the business end of my work saw.....b/c.
I demand a little more from my saw then most, maybe a little too picky but that's just how I am :D

JohnG28

I'm sort of surprised that the CM is not on the 461 also. I'd imagine we'll see it soon enough though, perhaps in a 2nd generation with better performance?  ??? I think fuel injection will change things a lot when it's unveiled.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!