iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Round files for sharpening

Started by Lorenzo, November 03, 2014, 04:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo

Well after plenty of practice I have finally gotten good at sharpening my own chains.
Now I am finding that the files don't last very long for me.

I see in the latest Bailey's flyer they are offering a dozen files for 12.99,  Brand is  ( SAVE EDGE )
I haven't used these.
Any advice

What are the best ones to buy if not these?????

celliott

I've heard save edge are a good file. I use the Pferd files from Baileys, they're fairly aggressive. When they stop cutting good, I toss them. I haven't paid much attention to how long they last.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

beenthere

Lorenzo
We have a new sponsor http://www.shopcomstocklogging.com/ that carries files.  See left column.
Bailey's bowed out of forum support a while back.

What kind of files didn't last very long? I get good results from Stihl files.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

I usually use only Stihl files.
I think I normally get between a week to ten days out of one. It always makes me shake my head when I start with a new one. I never knew just how worn out the old one was until I grabbed the new one.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

luvmexfood

Lorenzo. I just ordered last week from Comstock. Got 5 files for $1.50 each. Don't remember the brand. Same bar for saw was right at $7.00 cheaper than Bailey's and a chain (20 inch Oregon) was $12.95. And the best thing was I had it in two days instead of waiting 7 or 8 days for it to come from the west coast. They have a website but very few of their products are shown on it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Lorenzo

Thanks guys,  I will call Comstock in the AM.

CTYank

Last files I got were Swiss-made "Chipmaster" by Oregon. Something less than $1.40 each by the dozen. I'm still working on the first of each 5/32" & 7/32" since back sometime in last winter.

IME, one of the strengths of the Granberg filing guide is the extreme longevity of lfiles used in it. Of course, I wipe off the chips from the file after doing each tooth. That seems to help.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Andyshine77

A common mistake people make is dragging the file on the back stroke. This will dull the file quickly. If you keep the file clean and dot dragging it on the back stroke, a file should last quite a while.
Andre.

CR888

I agree with Andy, if used correctly you should not be going through files quickly...a dozen should last the average Joe years. I use Pferd, Save edge & Vallorbe(still). They are all good files but if l really want to hand file a chain sharp l start with a Pferd coarse and finish with a Pferd smooth cut. IMO a file is only as good as the person using it.

WUDPIRAT

I have been ordering from Constock for several years and I find the prices and service amoung the best.
I don't know who packs but you need a razor knife to open the packages. They must of heard of the 800# gorilla package handelers. :D

Reddog

My Stihl dealers price by the box for Stihl files has always been more than fare.
They seem to hold up as well or better than other brands.
So I just keep my business local.

HolmenTree

Husqvarna (Oregon) and Stihl files for me.
Support your dealer, I go through  3 dozen each year in 3 different sizes.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

I have no idea how long a file lasts .Best guess is until it gets dull .

thecfarm

I have never kept track. Kinda like how long it takes for me to saw through a 12 inch hemlock with my mill. I have no idea. I just use one until I feel it's not doing the job and then I grab another one. I buy mine by the dozen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sablatnic

I buy my files at the local Stihl / Husqvarna dealer. Use 3 - 4 files to wear out a chain.

HiTech

Like any file if you clean them they last longer. Metal filings will fill them in.

Little Al

I use files for sharpening chains for a commercial set up, in my time I guess Iv'e sampled most brands in the time Iv'e been doing it ( except Save Edge ), the problem Iv'e found with branded Stihl, Oregon, Husky,etc.is they are not consistant I think this is because they tender out for supplys so although the box/pack says Oregon they could have been manufactured by one of several company's so differences in quality & time they last, the best 2 I have used have been Vallorbe & Sandvick the quality of these seems to be better & they are consistent.

sablatnic

It is worse than that, they are not even consistent within the same box!

Husky562

For about the last three months I started to use a roto zip with a round Oregon stone I had allways used a round file but I'll never go back, they are the sharpest chains I had ever had. But befor then I used a husqvarna file it worked pretty good and I pack it in my chainsaw box for a quick touch up in the field.
562xp, John Deere 4310

David-L

I have been finding that in the right scenario that a cleaning with the non-chlorinated brake clean will make them go a little longer. Read this on the forum awhile back and I believe it to be true. I cut a milk jug in 1/2 and spray into it and you can see the filing's.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

jwilly3879

The worst thing for files is letting the bounce around in the tool box. I have been using files from Forester, we sell them for $10 per dozen and they hold up pretty well. Given the cost of other logging supplies files are a minor expense. Unless a dull file causes a slip and then stitches.

HiTech

Quote from: jwilly3879 on November 11, 2014, 07:03:29 AM
The worst thing for files is letting the bounce around in the tool box. I have been using files from Forester, we sell them for $10 per dozen and they hold up pretty well. Given the cost of other logging supplies files are a minor expense. Unless a dull file causes a slip and then stitches.
One reason to always wear at least one glove while sharpening. lol Sharpening the right tooth from the left side has gotten me a few times. It will slice you right to the bone. Normally it only happens while holding the bar with one hand and pushing the file with the other. We put a vise on the log loader truck and that helps. I have done it most while touching up in the woods.

clww

Another reason I wear gloves while sharpening is to keep all that metal dust from getting on my hands. The filings can get under the skin, literally.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cedar Savage

I always carry a can of starting fluid with my saw tools, I use it mostly to clean air filters, & files, sometimes the chain before filing. Also put my files in plastic straws, to separate them, & keep them sharp in the tool box. Although there's nothing better than a new file.....
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

sablatnic

Why didn't I think of keeping them in straws?!? Will do that from now, colour coded by size!

Thank You Sponsors!