iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giant engines

Started by RayMO, November 03, 2014, 11:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayMO

Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

jwilly3879

LittleJohn

So lets see, what kind of production would I need to justify that...  :o

...wait 2nd question, how big of a saw head could I attach to it  ;D

CCC4

Good to see ya RayMo! What and where have ya been cutting lately?

BargeMonkey

Alot of the large slow speeds "less than 300 rpm" have doors to walk in and inspect the rods and bearing, walk right in.  :D
Those engines are set up to run on "bunkers" or heavy fuel, which is a nightmare in itself, constantly running it thru a centrifuge, certain temp to burn, there is alot to them. Personally an EMD is so much nicer, not the same breed of beast but for tugboats they are the only way to go. Most of the newer boats, especially the ones with MTU -  :D engines have hatches right on deck, engine out, engine in. Now im talking an engine the size of a decent family van. The blocks on the engines on the tug im chief on have 51,000 hours, and 17,000 since the last overhaul. 20-25k hours is pushing it on a turbo emd, but ive seen blown emd's with 40,000 plus hours still chugging away.

Holmes

That was very interesting.
Think like a farmer.

repmma

Slow speeds are pretty nice.  Sump oil is clean as when it comes out of the refinery even after 10k hrs. 4 to 12' strokes talk about torque! 

Easy to work on, cool stuff like stretching head studs hydraulically for torquing (same as my boats engines), overhead crane, plenty of space.  Nothing like a boxed in tug.

My boat has 9cyl medium speeds, only 6,000hp each.  Burning 32 tons of HFO (heavy fuel oil) 380 per day at sea.  Fuel which is heated from 240 to 260 depending on quality and is about like molasses when at 50deg.  We go about 20k to 24k hrs between overhauls, 6000hrs on injectors and 12k to 14k for fuel pumps (one per cylinder).  Weve only got 26k hrs in 6 years, I know a sister boat is over 30k maybe 32k and shes younger.

Fun starts in January no more HFO.  So instead of $550 a ton its going to be over $1000 per ton.  And we'll bunker around 500 tons... every month when running coastwise.  glad im not paying for it, even if I do sign the receipt!
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

RayMO

Hi CCC4 ! Been cutting black gold and Soft Maple. Got the tranny out  of my old 440 JD and waiting on parts so I can put her back together and get back in the woods. About 4 good jobs behind right now but better than trying to find timber for sure.
Boy is walnut hot now !!!
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

clww

I'll stick with the nuclear reactors. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

repmma

Quote from: clww on November 03, 2014, 07:24:13 PM
I'll stick with the nuclear reactors. ;)

Dont blame you!!  Some days I think it would have been nice to be a real engineer! 
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

longtime lurker

When it comes to horsepower there's Shetlands, and then there be Clydesdales
I've got a pair of V12 Dormans stored in the shed, complete with boxes, shafts and props. When I retire.... :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!