iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any guesses on what this might be?

Started by Jeff, November 02, 2014, 07:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm thinking Lynx.  I've included a picture of a deer in the same place to use for scale. I don't think its canine, and I think to big for a bobcat, and no tail so not a cougar. It seems cat like to me.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Looks like a long neck?  you sure it's not the deer moving quickly?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

Pretty sure, look at both photos. Both animals are in the exact same place you can see the difference in size. Thats way to small to be a deer.

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

NWP

Seriously, it does look like a goat. I showed my wife the picture with no explanation. She said it looked goatish
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Jeff

No goat is going to survive in the wild where I'm at in the U.P. Especially southern goats.  ;)  you may be looking at a weed as part of the head.

Jeff

NWP

Yeah. It was the weed I was looking at it.

Jeff

If I can identify the location of that plant by it's head in the morning, I should be able to get a good idea on the height.

Jeff

I upped the contrast and you can now see markings on the leg. It could be bobcat or lynx,

drobertson

I see the little hairy long hair, but still not sure, plus I know nothing of the lynx cat,  I still think it could be a deer, how bout tracks? 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its a Bobcat and the Goats inside. I'm gonna miss her.  smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_crying
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

lynx or bobcat, be nice to see the ears better. tracks would help determine which one also
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Jeff

I superimposed the one image over the other. I think this should change your mind about it being a deer. Not much chance for tracks, but I can check tomorrow. There has been a pretty good snow then melt since these photos.

Magicman

No ears and no nose (round head) makes it "catty".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Barney II

A lynx is a real good thought---it has just enough forward slope---front is lower than rear.  The left rear leg is just about correct size, could be a little bigger and little more hair---but--good enough. Dnr in WI says they are not in WI nor just up the road from me an d leaves lynx tracks all over the place in the winter. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Reddog

Its a Bobcat.

Lynx are much taller with more leg length and a higher hip to front shoulder angle.

Has a good comparison shot of both down mid page.   http://travel4wildlife.com/tell-difference-between-canadian-lynx-bobcat/

Jeff

We have no shortage of bobcats around here. I caught several on camera a couple years ago about 400 yards from where this camera is.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61154.msg898049.html#msg898049

Many years ago I heard my first cat screaming at night here at the cabin. It shook me up at first as it sounded like a woman screaming from deep in the woods. I was told that that was probably a lynx and not a bobcat, but I really have no idea.

WmFritz

The pics in Reddogs link are good ones, but I'm not convinced yet. The height of the rear hip may be hard to judge due to the camera angle, at least to me. The tail looks short.

I got an up close and personal eyeball at a Lynx near Brevort, not far from Jeff's place. They're much easier to ID having a stare down in daylight. Those tufts on their ears are hard to miss.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Chuck White

I'm thinking it's another deer!

Look at the hind legs!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

The animal was moving so the infrared flash captured mostly blur. The part with the most detail is the planted front leg as it was moving the slowest. There you can see some detail. Deer don't have dark spots on their legs.

WmFritz

As the Cat or Yooper Goat debate continues... I thought I'd sidetrack for a bit.

This morning, sitting in my local restaraunt, the discussion was about a Cougar sighting last week in Cedarville, Michigan. Cedarville is close to Jeff's place and sightings in that area are not news and have been documented for a few years now. What was interesting to me was one of the 'regulars', a former DNR employee, went up Saturday and had an informal information session with local L/O's on Sunday. He located Cougar scat, to be sent to Lansing ( I learned scat can be tested for DNA and the sex can be determined) and set trail cams.

I'm thinking over my coffee that if I'm Jeff, I'm not walking to the outhouse without my shotgun or sidearm with me.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

Judging by what I see in your picture, reply 7, look at the direction of the ears, looks to me like it's looking straight ahead.  Then look at the nose, either a cat or a seriously overgrown Pug  :D, the picture with the deer along side would make for one big bobcat around here anyway. 

Jeff

The documented last picture we saw from a trail cam on facebook was supposedly from Prentiss bay. Cougar track plaster casts have been made less than 3 miles as the crow flies from here.  I'[ve had times on my old property where I would get a very strange feeling and tell myself it was time to leave. Never knew why. I'm not scared of bears and know how to act in black bear country. I do usually have at least a machete.

Thank You Sponsors!