iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Took on another over sized fir tree.

Started by backwoods sawyer, November 02, 2014, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

We knew what we were getting into when we started this job, 16 days of rain has made the ground soft, excavator had missed the mark a lot on lining up the logs, no equipment on site, horse shoe hanging out of the bark, and the logs would need to be relimbed.
Due to the slope we lined up on the first log and aligned the others with the mill. These were slow milling logs with a lot of wide cuts, log handling was half ythe job, took two days and 6 saws to move and mill.

The top log had heavy ant damage and was the reason the tree was taken down. The lower logs produced high grade, tight grain boards. The 10' log that maxed out the mill scaled 490 bft and produced 555 bft and an Insulator.

In the picture looking back at the mill you can see how much lumber was being produced by each log as the first three logs were all different lengths. However I blurred the stickers a bit ;D

Since I had the big bar on the saw I was asked to trim the stump off, and he knew there would be a chain charge if I found that resembled the horse shoe hanging out of the stump. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

terrifictimbersllc

The peavey needs a new rubber grip.   :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Left Coast Chris

A couple of those looked like they may have been clear of knots.   Very nice and a lot of work.   Good looking stack of boards.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

TimGA

Nice job , would have been nice to have had some support equip.
                                                Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

red oaks lumber

fine looking logs , lotsa lumber. your sticker placement looks... well i can't zoom in that close :D :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

kensfarm

Nice.. those big ones take a lot of work.  What is the max width between your supports?  Did you make any slab widths.. or customer had specs. for cutting?  I'm always tempted to make some extra wide boards w/ the big logs.

backwoods sawyer

The customer wanted all framing lumber but the last 16' log had some bigger knotts then what should be in framing lumber. So I sat down with the customer to find a better use for that log, Milled a pair of 6x12 and the rest went into 2 3/8x20 slabs for tables each cut made two 8' slabs, some of those got trimmed down to 16" do to defects.

single post, layed the dogs down a bit to shift the 40" log over enough to not have to trim for the guides, had to trim bark to clear the post. Wish that the movable guide would retract another 4" but sure glad to have the 70 for its log hadling abilities.

Quote from: TimGA on November 02, 2014, 07:10:01 PM
Nice job , would have been nice to have had some support equip.
                                                Tim

That it would, or if the excavator had decked the logs correctly that would have been fine to. He lined all the logs up on one end rather then centering them. Turning the second log and getting it on the mill took longer then it did to mill the log. Had to break out the old 72" wooden pee-vee as the 60" log rite would just chew up the bark and not bite into the wood. 

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

alanh

Here`s a couple white pine logs from a tree a customer gave me after I replaced his pool it fell on...not sure which would be a better use, 2 X lumber for rafters for a 48` long lean to off the back of my garage, or 6x6`s for timber frame truss` for a pavilion type porch enclosure on the deck. Any recommendations for the best use?

Thank You Sponsors!