iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Husky 562 Hard Starting

Started by DR Buck, November 01, 2014, 10:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I have a new Husky 562 that starts fine when it is cold, but once I shut it off I can't get it to restart.  This is a new saw and today was the first I used it to any extent.

It appears to flood real easy and pulling the start rope dozens of times does nothing.  There has got to be something  I'm not doing right.   My old Rancher 55 and my 385 both start on the 1st or 2nd pull  when they are warmed up.

I had to refrane from bouncing it off a tree like I did with an old saw I had years ago before buying the Rancher.

Any ideas?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Maine logger88

Do you set the high idle when hot starting?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

DR Buck

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 01, 2014, 10:24:52 PM
Do you set the high idle when hot starting?

Didn't set anything.  It's the way it came out of the box.   It runs and idles fine when it is started.   Just nearly impossible to restart after shutting it off.

Maine logger88

I mean put it on choke then back too run before restarting it sets the high idle till you press the throttle. It makes them much easier too hotstart

JohnW

You're right -- it floods real easy.

Skip

My 550XP acted the same  when I first got it. I dont use the compression release ,after a day of use it starts fine and runs great . bout wore my arm out pulling. Not a big fan of new choke set up but runs great now  ;D

SawTroll

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 01, 2014, 10:49:08 PM
I mean put it on choke then back too run before restarting it sets the high idle till you press the throttle. It makes them much easier too hotstart

Yes, there is nothing wrong with doing it per the manual!  ;D
Information collector.

LeeB

Goos info for those of us that don't have a manual. I bought a used 562 a short while back and have not yet run it enough to do a hot start. Glad to know this. I suppose I should download the manual for it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

weimedog

They typically will just restart without the choke or high idle set, just make certain the switch isn't off. Where I work we got 5 new 550's, some of the guys just won't change and I've had to get way flooded saws dried out. The ones who do figure them out love them. Easy starting once you realize the don't need as much choke. My 555 is the same. Hard to break that "choke until it pop's" habit. Especially on restarts. And the 550's don't even "pop" on cold starts most times. Just pull twice with the choke on when starting cold and the third pull they usually fire. Certainly no more than three, cause pull four with the choke and they are flooded.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

LeeB

So, if it doesn't start on the third pull should you go to run and then start or let it alone for a while?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ehp

and donot use the decompressure , they start alot easier . I donot use any decompressure on any of the new huskins that have the decompressure in the combustion chamber

SawTroll

Quote from: weimedog on November 02, 2014, 08:49:11 AM
They typically will just restart without the choke or high idle set, just make certain the switch isn't off. .....

It returns to "on", unless you hold it in the "off" position.  ;)
Information collector.

Maine logger88

Quote from: SawTroll on November 02, 2014, 10:49:29 AM
Quote from: weimedog on November 02, 2014, 08:49:11 AM
They typically will just restart without the choke or high idle set, just make certain the switch isn't off. .....

It returns to "on", unless you hold it in the "off" position.  ;)
That is the best feature. I had a guy who always left the switch off and I always leave the switch on I flooded a few saws that way

brendonv

Yep read the manual. I wondered why mine wouldn't start. After hot your supposed to set it to high idle.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

DR Buck

8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks for all the suggestions.   I went back and reread the manual and it made more sense to me after reading responses to this thread.     I used the 562 today and every restart was on the 2nd or 3rd pull of the starter.   I even had a few on the 1st pull.  8)

I also did not release the compression release.  I left it closed every time.   I think I may have a new favorite saw.   ;D

SteveinUT

Quote from: ehp on November 02, 2014, 09:12:42 AM
and donot use the decompressure , they start alot easier . I donot use any decompressure on any of the new huskins that have the decompressure in the combustion chamber

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I never use the compression release on my Husq 460. If I use it, the thing takes forever to start. If I don't use it, it fires up in 2-3 pulls.
-Steve
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
RIP TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy- KIA 22 Jan 06, near Taji, Iraq. You will never be forgotten.

038 Magnum, 2100CD, 460 Rancher, 10-10A, and a few more...

HiTech

Set the Hi idle, use the decompressor, pull the rip cord. There was a video on here a while back that explained it in detail. Follow it and you will have no problems. I thought I knew how to start chainsaws till I got a 562 XP and after having tons of problems starting it, I watched the video and problems solved. Something I did and do when the saw is luke warm is push the bulb on the side once to give it a little gas then start it. Hot!! I don't do this. After it starts to cool off I do it.

Husky562

I have a 562 and if you give it a little throttle when you pull the rope it should start  that's how my dad 455 rancher and my 562 is. Just from a thirteen year olds point if view haha. ;D and I love the new choke set up and I also don't use the decompression valve. Starts 1st pull every time
562xp, John Deere 4310

HiTech

I know many don't use the decompressor...whether it's a macho thing or just don't want to be bothered. They put these on there for a reason. It is a lot easier on the starting mechanism. I have had saws before the decompressors were out that you had to stand on them and then try to pull the cord. lol

ehp

it nothing to do with being a macho thing Husky screwed up on the size of the hole in the decompressure on the new style saw, if you put a compression tester on the saw and hold the decompressure in you will find there is not enough compression to fire proper , the hole is to large . What people donot understand is the intake port is alot smaller on the new design saws and I mean its alot smaller so what happens is the draw on the carb on start up is alot higher with the smaller port compared to the older design like the old 372 xp so the carb pumps more fuel when you crank it over so if you crank the saw 4 or more times in most cases you flood the saw so you need to start it in less than 4 pulls

Maine logger88

Huh makes sense I never knew why they started like crap with the decompressor I just knew they did so I never use it either.

HiTech

These saws aren't diesels. A spark plug fires them...not compression.

Skip

I totally agree with EHP I always use the comp release on my 372 and my 268 does not have one wish it did that is the main reason I bought the 372

HiTech

I use the decompressor on every saw I own. It always works or they start for me. The miili-second they fire the decompressor valve pops closed and if I am fast enough to get the choke off they stay running. Most of the time I am not fast enough and have to push the choke off and push the decompression valve in again and pull the cord one more time.

ehp

HiTech the hole is to large on the new design , the older saws had the decompressure on the side of the cylinder not in the combustion part of the cylinder , take a look at the hole size Stihl uses on their saws , its very small and that is for a reason , if you lower the compression to much the saw does not start plain and simple and these new design decompressures donot pop out as easy as the older design Husky used . You have to have enough compression so the engine can fire to start , yes on my 390 xp, 362,461 stihl I use the decompressure but on my 562s and my 365/372 xts I donot but my 372 xt will start in 2 pulls everyday first thing in the morning , push that decompressure in and your closer to 6 to 8 pulls if you donot flood it

Thank You Sponsors!