The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: "Flipping" equipment  (Read 6154 times)

Offline SPIKER

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: "Flipping" equipment
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »
I guess I'm in the camp that always gets the worse end of "DEALS" I have bought and flipped some cars in the past usually only breaking even for most part I tend to buy junk, fix it and use it.   The "SELLING" part is where it gets harder.   Even if it is something you like it may not be something that can be sold when you NEED to get rid of it (at least for what you need out of it.)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Online longtime lurker

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 10:38:59 pm »
Depends on (a) how good of a mechanic you are and (b) how good of a spray painter you are and (c) how deep your pockets are to fix things up and (d) how much time you got to do this in and (e) how many people you know to buy and sell to and how good a negotiator you are.

I'm a diesel fitter by trade, I have a fair workshop and a better then average tool selection. But I lack time - this place looks like a graveyard for things with faded yellow paint at times. I do tend to trade gear, or timber for gear, and bring it home and work on it, run it awhile, then trade it for the next piece of junk, or logs, or sell it - usually with enough of a cash difference to cover what I've put into it. Never really made any money doing it but I have managed to slowly improve the quality of my equipment from some pretty rough and ready antiques to reliable gear that will get a job done.

Me, I'm a sawmiller, and I like sawmilling. If I wanted to be a mechanic I could, but I'd rather go spend a day turning logs into lumber then be in the workshop swinging spanners and arguing with siezed up bolts on some dirty old piece of sh....
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Online longtime lurker

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 10:43:19 pm »
And never buy anything that is hard to source parts for. Look for eaton, allison, clark, zf, cat, detroit, perkins, or other common componentry, because when you're trying to find a bonded harmonic balance for a UE600 Leyland or something equally impossible then it can be a long and expensive road to repair. >:(
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.