iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cost range for Black walnut logs?

Started by Brad_bb, November 01, 2014, 01:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I want to buy some Black Walnut logs to mill on my LT15 at my place.  Can you help give me a range on what I should expect to pay for the logs(not delivered to me, assuming i have to take car of that).  mid to southern IL or IN.  I want them because I want to mill several timbers to use in a timberframe from Black walnut.  Not typical I know, but a few featured ones in the frame.  Plus I just want to get a feel for what cost in log form is for BW.  I'm pretty new to milling. thanks. 

PS.  Any advice on how to find logs??  Put an ad on Craigslist?  Is there someplace on the web to find log sellers in those areas? 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Brad_bb

I found this link for IL
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/forestry/il_timber_prices/pdf/itp_dec2013.pdf

From what I'm reading it looks like $600-900 MBF for Stumpage, and $1100-$2000 MBF delivered to the mill.  Does stumpage mean cut and on the ground?  Or the tree as it stands and you have to pay to have it cut?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

The tree is on the stump.. standing.

but quote from the FF dictionary
QuoteStumpage       Value of timber as it stands uncut in the woods. -Standing ...

QuoteAny advice on how to find logs??

If me, I'd go visit a sawmill with a supply of walnut logs and ask if you can pick some out and buy them. They would tell you 1) if they would sell, and 2) what they would charge. If ok, then you would get the logs of your choice. To me, that beats buying stumpage where you will have to take the whole tree.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Might as well figure bottom dollar $1 a bdft, and goes up from there.  How much are you willing to pay?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Cedarman

If you are looking for logs with clear faces, no knots, then price is high.  If you can use logs that have lots of knots, low grade,  then price should be at low end.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

kevin19343

Around here and in other places its illegal to transport walnut out of the County unless it's been kiln dried. There's a beetle destroying trees and they don't want it to spread. I'm pretty sure the same is true where you are from. That being said I don't know if it makes the price higher or lower.

YellowHammer

Around here, sawlog grade (lots of knots, sweep, low grade) walnut is about $1000 to $1250 per MBF.  Second cut logs are $1500 to $2500, and butt logs start at $2,500 and go past $4,000 if they have any size. 
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

beenthere

kevin
Didn't know it was that serious in PA.

effective Aug 2014 by the content of this news article.

http://www.pa.gov/Pages/NewsDetails.aspx?agency=Agriculture&item=15892
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ludo

I am paying anywhere from 2000 to 3500MBF for trees delivered.  The high end price is for large diameter trees 36" plus. Everyone loves big wide walnut slabs.  If you think about it, where can you invest 2k this year and get 8k back in two years? Certainly not at the bank!

woodworker9

Quote from: Ludo on November 02, 2014, 05:59:49 AM
I am paying anywhere from 2000 to 3500MBF for trees delivered.  The high end price is for large diameter trees 36" plus. Everyone loves big wide walnut slabs.  If you think about it, where can you invest 2k this year and get 8k back in two years? Certainly not at the bank!

My thoughts, exactly!  ;)
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

SawyerBrown

Brad, I get calls all the time from people wanting to know if I buy walnut trees/logs.  These are typically yard trees, so they may or may not be good and they may or may not have "hardware" included.  If you'd be willing to go get these, I'm thinking you might not have to pay industry prices.  You could also search on Craigslist and find same.  PM me if you want some leads
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!