iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Oregon Chain Grinder

Started by deastman, November 01, 2014, 11:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

The new chain grinder I ordered showed up yesterday and just got a chance to set it up and try it out,  works really slick. It has the hydraulic locking vise and the vise is also adjustable to fit any size chain up to 3/4, no more changing out the whole vise to switch from 3/4 for the Fabtek head to 404 for the firewood processor. It also has the light on it which my old one didn't and that's a big help.  Also got a great price on it, a little less than what most places online wanted for the model without the hydraulic vise.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

xalexjx

Logging and Processed Firewood

BargeMonkey

I wanna know how you like the hydraulic squeeze, my 511ax which isnt very old has issues with the arm to close, and im not jamming it closed. Gotta order new bolts for it. Who are you getting parts thru ?

deastman

I like the hydraulic vise,  took a little getting used to but works good. There's a Oregon distributer near me where I get all my bars and chains and other parts but I bought this new grinder online
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Mapleman

I'm considering getting the Oregon chain grinder to sharpen the 3/4 pitch chains on my firewood processor and wondered what your opinion of this grinder was now that you've had it for a while.  Any comments and feedback would be useful.

Thanks

Dave
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Corley5

I've had mine for over two years and have sharpened several miles of 3/4 pitch chain.  It works good.  I only use it for 3/4 chain as I've got a Maxx for the little stuff.  I like the Maxx better but at the time they didn't have 3/4 capability.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

deastman

I've had no problems at all with the Oregon grinder and really like it. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a chain grinder

Mapleman

Thanks for the info, corley5 and deastman.  I do OK filing my chainsaw chains by hand, but I know next to nothing about chain grinders and its nice to hear good things about this grinder, it makes me feel better laying out the money for one. 

swmichigan

Get the diamond grinding wheel... No need to dress wheels and they last a whole lot longer... I love the diamond wheels because they don't burn the teeth and are faster

BargeMonkey

Quote from: swmichigan on September 19, 2015, 09:46:30 AM
Get the diamond grinding wheel... No need to dress wheels and they last a whole lot longer... I love the diamond wheels because they don't burn the teeth and are faster
Who did you buy your diamond wheel from, how much and for an Oregon 511ax model ? Spending hours sharpening chain and figure why not try the better wheel.

Mapleman

I bought the Oregon grinder with hydraulic vise from Comstock logging, and the guy I talked to suggested I buy a "borzon" (I think that's what he said) wheel with it to use instead of the regular grinding wheel it comes with, so I did.  Its a metal wheel with some abrasive stuff imbedded in the outer rim for grinding, and cost about $100 for the size to grind 3/4 pitch chain.  I'm guessing its a diamond product but the salesman didn't use that terminology.  It doesn't seem to heat the tooth much but does leave some serious burrs on the tooth, and it doesn't seem to matter if the rotation of the wheel is going from the outside of the tooth to the inside or the other way around.  On the couple of chains I've done so far, I've taken the burr off with a flat file, on the next chain I'll leave the burr on and see if that has any effect on how the chain cuts.

Jemclimber

Quote from: Mapleman on September 21, 2015, 12:06:17 PM
I bought the Oregon grinder with hydraulic vise from Comstock logging, and the guy I talked to suggested I buy a "borzon" (I think that's what he said) wheel with it to use instead of the regular grinding wheel it comes with, so I did. 

Probably referring to CBN-Cubic Boron Nitride.  It's what I use on mine and I like it.
lt15

Corley5

I use CBN wheels for all my saw chain, 3/8s, 404, and 3/4.  I'll get a bur if I try taking too much material in one bite.  If I've got a chain that's in bad shape I'll go around it a couple times taking a little material each time and get a better result.  I'd never use a vitreous wheel again.

Gadrock

I use 3/4 chain a lot. But it rarely gets really dull before some other outside force causes a catatrophic failure.  Occasionally I repair but generally replace. It lasts quite a long time in Southern yellow pine even though there may be a bunch of dirt.
     I would like to see some pics and some real model preferences  if available.
Last year we sharpened a couple chains by hand and that willnot occur again...unless....

david g

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on September 22, 2015, 01:23:22 PM
I use CBN wheels for all my saw chain, 3/8s, 404, and 3/4.  I'll get a bur if I try taking too much material in one bite.  If I've got a chain that's in bad shape I'll go around it a couple times taking a little material each time and get a better result.  I'd never use a vitreous wheel again.
Where did you buy the wheel and how much ? I'm running .404 on my processor and 3/4 on my timbco and slasher, been using the regular MOLE brand wheels on 2 separate grinders. Are you buying chain or building your own ?

Corley5

I got my small wheels for 3/8 and 404 from Foley Belsaw.  The wheel for 3/4 came from my local saw shop when I got the grinder for 3/4.  I don't know the brand and the package is long gone.  It was over a 100 bucks.
  I'll fix my 3/4 loops.  I keep a bag of presets and a donor parts chain and when I get a stack of busted chains I'll fix them up.  At times it's more convenient to buy new ones ;) ;D  I buy premade loops.

Thank You Sponsors!