iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Built my first fire of the season

Started by ozarkgem, November 01, 2014, 07:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

Nice to watch the flames and drink my coffee.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

drobertson

Had one going for a few days, just to save on propane. but you're right, it feels good, especially on mornings like this.   The first cold air of the year, just in time for the youth season opener. should be a perfect morning for the youngsters.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

yukon cornelius

we have had several but this time is the first time we NEEDED it! we heat only with wood. no other backup. keeps me close to home. ;)
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Banjo picker

My first fire is setting in the insert ready to strike a match to.(its still in the prep. stages)...probably tonight here in Miss.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

kevin19343

I fired up the wood stove last night. I have at least 3 cords of firewood cut just from mill slabs. 

red oaks lumber

yup, the first fire is always nice. if only we didn't have to feed it for the next 6 months :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Banjo picker

There is the first set for this season... this Kokiak stove is 29 years old...Banjo

I had to replace one of the glass pieces when a rather large log broke it ... its been through several blowers... Its a very well made unit.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

My insert is still prepped and ready to go.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

Our furnace has been fired up for three weeks now.
The shop wood stove has been fired up at least a dozen times.
I'll try to warn you Southerners before us Canadians send you a Polar Front.   :snowball:
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

ozarkgem

Quote from: yukon cornelius on November 01, 2014, 09:04:52 AM
we have had several but this time is the first time we NEEDED it! we heat only with wood. no other backup. keeps me close to home. ;)
Yep my only source of heat also. It will be time to start cutting wood for next year. I like my wood at least a year old. I try and keep a 2yr supply on hand. That way if you get sick or something you won't have to buy any or worry about someone bringing you wood. My little stove will not burn wood that is the slightest bit green.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

clww

Here at The Beach we had our first fire in the fireplace last night. Have another one going now. Nice to look at, but most of the heat goes right up the chimney.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

yukon cornelius

I hope to get ahead of the firewood sometime. but I have no idea how much I need. we haven't been in our house a year yet. I have a lot cut from this year of tops from last years log gathering for our house. I keep cutting more as I can. in the last several years I haven't had to cut wood in the coldest and snowing weather. a long time ago I got behind and had to cut in the snow and its not fun. I so enjoy the fire going until January or so. after that its frustrating  ;D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 02, 2014, 06:48:58 PM
2 weeks now, 78° all winter 8)

I like that setup! I bet that brick evens the temp out well and holds heat for quite a while!

chet

My first, and last fire was lit 16 years ago.  smiley_smug01  My outdoor boiler has never not had a fire in it since da day I first lit it.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

brianb88

Haven't lit a fire in the fireplace yet this year but could have last night as it was right around 29. 

Banjo, that is a nice insert you have there.  I have been debating on whether to convert my fireplace into an insert.  It has to be way more efficient.  Although I burn wood every year it is in conjunction with electric and gas heat.  I like to have options.   ;D 

I have also looked into Hardy Heaters.  When I start milling I am going to seriously consider purchasing one of these.  They are really efficient for someone who has access to firewood. 

Peter Drouin, that is also a fine looking setup you have there. 
Measure twice, cut once

Magicman

Using an open fireplace without an insert sends all of your heat, including your gas and electric up the chimney.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Thanks, And the 55gl drums are over 15 years old. No sand or brick in the bottom barrel.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

ozarkgem

is that in a basement? How many sq ft do you heat with it? I like the brick over the stove. I didn't know barrels would last that long. Cheap heat.

brianb88

Quote from: Magicman on November 02, 2014, 09:48:57 PM
Using an open fireplace without an insert sends all of your heat, including your gas and electric up the chimney.   :-\

MM, I should have been more clear. I use the fireplace mainly as a back-up source or more often when the wife decides she would like a fire in the fireplace.    :)

Measure twice, cut once

thecfarm

It's real nice at Christmas time.  ;D  We only use ours about 12 times a year. But we and company enjoy it each time
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: ozarkgem on November 03, 2014, 06:35:32 PM

is that in a basement? How many sq ft do you heat with it? I like the brick over the stove. I didn't know barrels would last that long. Cheap heat.

Yes it is, in the basement. I have a small house just under 2000sqfeet.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 03, 2014, 09:41:30 PM
Quote from: ozarkgem on November 03, 2014, 06:35:32 PM

Yes it is, in the basement. I have a small house just under 2000sqfeet.
Bigger house than mine. 800 sq ft. Perfect size.

Thank You Sponsors!