iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please explain the magnetic WM Scale

Started by Tree Dan, October 31, 2014, 10:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Dan

When I took the Wood Mizer training they showed me how to use that scale...but I forgot...or was too busy looking at the mill.
Anyway Its the magnetic strip that you can move
to set cut boards so the last bottom board will be the same thickness
Please give me the steps to set this.
Thanks I got a 32" pine to mill tomorrow and I need to have a plan what to get out of it.

Thanks
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

just_sawing

Cut my first Million on a 40 with not computer so this is what I did.
Your first board is always what your cutting so start at the second to work with.
(For the exercise I am going to cut 1 inch boards,)
My magic numbers to have the the head cut at are all places where the head can cut to the bottom.
I am figuring that the blade kerf is 1/8" for simplicity.
1 board 1"
2 board 2 1/8
3 board 3 1/4
4 board 4 3/8 (4 times 1 1/8 minus 1/8 for the first board.)
When I am setting the quarter scale on the machine I figure multiples
I want magic places to cut higher I know the the first is 1 inch the fourth is 4 3/8 so the ninth is 8*1 1/8 plus 1 or 10 inches.  It is easier to explain on the mill but maybe this will help some.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Beavertooth

Don't know what sizes you are going to cut but just to give you and idea of what you can get if you are cutting 2x stuff I cut two 32" trees for my self and got 68 2x6's and 4 2x4's out of one and 67 2x6's and 5 2x4's out of the other one. Both were 12' long pine logs
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

slowmiller

To mill say 4/4 all the way down to the bed you line up one of the 4/4 lines with the 1" mark on the fixed scale and then make sure you start cutting boards on one of the 4/4 lines on the scale. Each board should drop you down one on the 4/4 scale and the last board will be 4/4 also. If you want to mill 5/4 all the way through set the first 5/4 line at 1.25" on the fixed scale. You can figure it out by setting the head at one place on the scale and then using simple set to make your drops until you get to the last board, then read the thickness on the fixed scale and make sure it is what you want.

You can also use it alongside simple set as an accuset substitute if you are grade sawing and want to leave a beam or cant in the center of a specific dimension. Take boards off the first two sides (90 degrees apart) then slide the scale so the line (4/4, 6/4, etc) lines up with the final dimension you want and take your slabbing cut on one of the lines, then take boards until you hit the final dimension. It just saves a lot of math on the kerf thickness.

drobertson

I just wonder if it's possible to just set the scale from the bed rails and go up, much like patten cutting. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Tree Dan

Thanks on the 1/4 scale...It will help.
This big pine was a Trouble log.
It was close to 38" in spots, that when I took out the chain saw to widdle it down.

I hit my first nail as well...not just 1 but 3 >:(
Thats when I then cut 2 8x8" posts instead of milling
4/4 x8 s all the way down.

The customer wanted all 2" slabs...or as much as I could get at 2"
I also hit ants, so I then changed to 4/4 until the ants were gone...3 boards.
I forgot the rule about the $30 charge for nail hits...so I took the hit on the -$90 :o
It was good experience though...the lt35hd worked super with this bad boy pine on the bunks
This was the butt log and I have 2 more 12 footer to cut tomorrow.

Heres the butt log

Here Is the wide planks
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Dave Shepard

And you were worried about the 35 being tough enough? Looks like it did just fine. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Tree Dan on November 01, 2014, 08:01:31 PM

I forgot the rule about the $30 charge for nail hits...so I took the hit on the -$90 :o

Ouch! I hate it when that happens.   Nice job on that big log.  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

red oaks lumber

just apply the $90 towards your tution  :D that school never gets cheaper
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

QuoteI forgot the rule about the $30 charge for nail hits...so I took the hit on the -$90 :o
Done that too.  :-\

Now, when I hit metal, I immediately go and write the blade charge on the invoice.  Before I even change the blade.  No forgetting or trying to remember.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Dan

Yaa I'm still learning...Hit one big chuck of steel today about 20 feet up from the stump...looked like 3/"8...I ended up just cutting the 18" off the log...and It was clear sailing from there.
Im getting low on blades ::)
Im going to look for a blade that will go through steel...Is there such a animal?

drobertson

Yes there is!  it's called a cut off wheel ;D   ;D ;D never seen one do it with the following cuts worth a flip.
Sounds like you got into a tree stand step,  been there before,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Tree Dan

Quote from: drobertson on November 02, 2014, 06:28:16 PM
Yes there is!  it's called a cut off wheel ;D   ;D ;D never seen one do it with the following cuts worth a flip.
Sounds like you got into a tree stand step,  been there before,
Yaa maybe...These guys do hunt...Im glad that pine is done
That blade today was brand new...cut 12" in and ziiiinnnnnnk...
You know that sound :'(

Cherry and Sugar maple for late next week. starting to get cold up here.

drobertson

Yea, I know that sound for sure, every now and again you can spot it before hand, but the sound leaves a mark in the ole memory bank for sure,   all said though, I believe I have only trashed maybe 25 blades due to metal.  just a guess,  but it sure stinks when it happens.  what really leaves you reeling is that lil snipping sound when you hit wire, not a total but enough to screw up the finish.

Thank You Sponsors!