iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Refinishing old teak deck furniture??

Started by gspren, October 31, 2014, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I acquired some very weathered teak deck furniture and so far all I have done is cleaned it with 30 second cleaner and a bunch of scrubbing. I have most of the green algae/moss or whatever it is scrubbed off and will do some sanding but what should I apply to keep it nice? What I read about teak oil is you should clean and reapply every few months and I was hoping for years not months before going through this again.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

JMoore

Boaters use something called teak honey or something similar. Caveman and I used to pressure wash then dry and use Valspar but I would not go that route it did not last long and was a pain to redo once the poly started flaking.

mesquite buckeye

Linseed oil diluted 1:2 with paint thinner does a pretty good job. You can just rewipe it occasionally to restore it if you don't wait too long.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

gspren

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 31, 2014, 09:20:07 PM
Linseed oil diluted 1:2 with paint thinner does a pretty good job. You can just rewipe it occasionally to restore it if you don't wait too long.
I take it that's 1 part BLO to 2 parts turpentine? At least it would be cheap, which is always good. Of the 6 chairs 2 are rockers and one of them looks like a dog chewed on the back of one rocker, that will be my test piece since it's already ugly.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mesquite buckeye

Yes, that's right. Just brush it on and let it soak in like you would with Watco. Let it set a while, then wipe it down with a rag to remove the drips and drops that will get sticky otherwise. The WWII M1 Garand rifle was wiped regularly with linseed oil to keep it good. I've got one that still look nearly new, probably at least 75 years old. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

BmoreReclaimed

You definitely want an oil!  Think of it like this, Teak, very hard and lasting product on its own, all it needs it to have the surface coated to prevent staining and such, its not going to absorb like your pine. You could in theory, wax the piece every couple of weeks, oil the piece once or twice a year after lightly sanding.  Or if you put too much finish on, poly-ect, you will have to totally refinish the piece within two to three years down to bare wood because the finish will flake and look like [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better].

Thank You Sponsors!