iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally-My new mill

Started by woodworker9, October 31, 2014, 10:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodworker9

I finally was able to find a mill that I was happy with.  Yesterday, I dragged home a 2003 Woodmizer LT40 hydraulic w/ accuset, debarker, lubemizer, 25 hp Kohler, and all the rest of the goodies that come with it.....well, almost.

Just as a side note/complaint, it truly amazes me how many people can just misinform (read lie, lie, lie) and be dishonest about selling something.  I had 2 transactions on previous mills come apart at the seems over attempts at deception.  Even with this purchase, I have a little work to do that wasn't disclosed, but I'm overall happy.

The mill has 190 hours on it.....and is in super nice condition, overall.  I have two issues that I know of so far, that I'll ask about in a moment.  I was told on the phone by the owner that everything was operating perfectly, and that they hadn't used it in quite some time.  He told me had the owners manual on the mill and the accuset.  When I arrived, the mill was as described, but neither he nor his son knew how to operate it very well.  They own a very large farm in Wisconsin, and one of their hands operated the mill for them, and he was no longer there.

The first thing they did was start up the mill, and get everything "opened up" to demonstrate it.  Immediately, while lowering the log loader arms, they crushed the wheel fender.  That was a shot of adrenaline.   Other than that, all the hydraulically operated stuff on the mill works as its supposed to.  Good news there.

Now the bad.....hopefully minor.

The 25 hp. Kohler V-twin idles perfectly, but when the clutch is engaged to run it at cutting speed, you can visibly see it run itself out of gas through the transparent fuel filter very quickly....in a minute or so, and the engine dies.  It fires right back up, and this repeats itself constantly.  There is never more than 1/4" of fuel in the bottom of the fuel filter, and it quickly runs out again and again.....

Is there a fuel pump on this motor?  I'm guessing so because the fuel line is below the motor from the fuel tank.   Any knowledge on this from the forum would be appreciated. 

Other issue is that the debarker will not turn on.  I haven't checked the leads for power yet, so I don't know if it's a switch issue or other.  The switch that moves the debarker left to right works fine, but the switched labeled "I  O" does nothing to fire up the debarker.  Any thoughts?  Is a bad switch common on these, or something else I should check?

The issue I'm mostly disappointed about was that I drove the 3 hours to pick it up, and was told the night before by the owner that he had the manuals.  When I arrived, he informed me that he couldn't find them, and would continue his search, and ship them to me, or get new ones at his expense from Woodmizer.  I have to say that really ticked me off.  So, I have not manuals at present to go through and debug some of these minor issues.

All things said, I'm extremely excited to finally have this mill.  I waited a long, long time, and while expensive, I'm glad I stepped up to the hydraulic mill.  I almost bought a manual mill several years back, and I feel that it would only have been a matter of time before moving up to this mill, anyway.

Here's the only pic I have of it right now, in a parking lot (my truck cropped out) in Platteville, Wisconsin, where my wife and I stopped for lunch after retrieval.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

No more hauling my hardwood logs to the local sawmill guy, whose prices are insane ($1 per bf....he's never busy) and who refuses to listen anyway on how I want my logs cut.

Any help you all can offer to get me going until my manuals arrive is greatly appreciated.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

blade69001

Congrats on the new mill!!
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Magicman

Is the vent open on the fuel cap?

The Debarker only runs when the power feed lever is in the forward position.

edit: Oh my,  Congratulations on the sawmill !!!    8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodworker9

Here's some more pics:  It's 37° and snowing here, so nothing else to do but mess around with the mill.   ;D ;D  At least, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

I know we all like photo's, so I hope I did ok^^^^^.

Magicman,

I don't know, but that's the next thing I'll check into.  Thanks for the tip....heading out there right now.

Jeff

brianb88

That's a nice looking mill you have there.
Measure twice, cut once

OneWithWood

I have almost the exact mill.  You are going to like it a lot  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Joe Hillmann

My family had an lt40 and after bringing it it to have some work done on it it would do the same thing you describe.  It could run all day at idle but couldn't finish a cut once it revved up and the blade was engaged without dieing.

It turned out that when it was in the shop they re routed the fuel line and when it was as idle it was fine but when the when it was engaged something pinched the fuel line.  The fix was just to re route the fuel line back to where it was.

On yours I would, with the engine off, engage the blade then follow the fuel line to see if it is pinched anywhere.

mart

Congrats on the new mill. I just bought one three weeks ago, not that nice, but a good solid older LT30. Enjoy.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

AnthonyW

Could be as simple as something sitting in the bottom of the fuel tank, plugging the hole. I had that issue with a tractor that was given to me with the same symptoms you describe. Somehow the fuel tank had a bunch of dead earwig beetles in it.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Magicman

Quote from: AnthonyW on October 31, 2014, 01:13:27 PMhad a bunch of dead earwig beetles in it.
Maybe that is what is wrong with Poston.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodworker9

Previous owners installed a quick-disconnect from the tank to the fuel line so they could pull the tank down to re-fuel.  I'm going to remove that, and just change the fuel line, filter, and fuel pump.  I read online that fuel pumps are common problems on these, as they are vacuum.  Once I know everything is new, I'll go from there.

Anybody think this is a bad idea for troubleshooting?  I figure, it can't hurt, and it's cheap money.

It was NOT the vent, but thanks for the tip anyway, Magicman.

Thoughts?

golddredger

Those vacuum diaphragm pumps do go bad. You can get a rebuild kit for it or they sell new universal pumps on e-bay for around $20.00. The diaprham gets dry and stiff if they sit. Then then vacuum pusle from the engine that runs the pump is just not enough to move the stiff rubber in the pump. So it moves fuel just not enough.
Sweeeeeet mill have fun!
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

Chuck White

Congratulations on the mill, I'm sure you'll like running it!

Reference to the fuel filter, the fuel filter will never be full, it will usually be between 1/4 & 1/3.  Still baffles me, but that's just the way it is!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

A mighty fine looking mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodworker9

Thanks to all.

Re:  running issue.  I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter with oem Kohler parts.  Still runs great at idle, and quits after about a minute once I engage the blade and run it at operating speed.

I'll have to delve in further to the problem.  Tomorrow (it's freezing here, literally, with 45 mph winds) I'm going to change the spark plugs and oil, and go from there. 

If anybody has any insight, keep it coming.  I'm stumped right now.  Still happy though.  My wife just said it just wouldn't be right for me to get ANY machine that I didn't have to fix first, since I restore all my old woodworking machines.  Oh, well.

:( :(

kensfarm

Very nice.. you'll be making sawdust before you know it.. congrats.

Banjo picker

Fine looking mill.  Might be a good thing they had lost the manuals and the employee that knew how to run it...Could be the employee left with the manuals...just sayin   ;)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dave Shepard

I agree that the filter will never be full. I would check to see that the tank vent is open and working on the fuel jug. That is the little button in the middle of the cap. Or just take the cap off for a bit to see if that helps. If not, then there is something else preventing it from sucking enough fuel.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Holmes

I would go with AnthonyW..  Can you blow thru the fuel line back into the tank. A small piece of foil from some additive cap floating around in the fuel can block off the suction line.
Think like a farmer.

GAB

Woodworker9:
I have 2005 LT40HDD34 and my suggestions are as follows;
Concerning the debarker - there is a breaker that trips on occasion.
Sorry I do not remember which one it is, but I'd be looking for that as a possible source of your problem.  Also I've had to change a breaker so beware of a possible bad breaker.
Concerning the engine dieing - on my mill there is a shut off valve in the fuel line that occasionally when removing the engine cover the valve handle gets moved and this causes a chokeing of the fuel supply.  (happened to me yesterday).
Congratulations on your new toy, hope you enjoy it.
Try not to hit the log stop as it is rough on the blade.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Tree Dan

You got one fine mill there.... congrats 8)
The manual will be a thick binder.
You said the temps were low...Could it be frost in the line?
I know theres problems with fuel right at the freezing mark or very near it....But wooo hooo you must be happy...Its all there have fun!
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Chuck White

Quote from: GAB on October 31, 2014, 08:13:56 PM
Woodworker9:
I have 2005 LT40HDD34 and my suggestions are as follows;
Concerning the debarker - there is a breaker that trips on occasion.
Sorry I do not remember which one it is, but I'd be looking for that as a possible source of your problem.
  Also I've had to change a breaker so beware of a possible bad breaker.
Concerning the engine dieing - on my mill there is a shut off valve in the fuel line that occasionally when removing the engine cover the valve handle gets moved and this causes a chokeing of the fuel supply.  (happened to me yesterday).
Congratulations on your new toy, hope you enjoy it.
Try not to hit the log stop as it is rough on the blade.
Gerald

On my LT40, the ckt breaker for the debarker is located on the side of the debarker control panel box!

I have added a Kohler 25hp engine to my LT40 an it just doesn't like cold weather.  What I did when I was sawing in the cold a couple of weeks ago was to just pull on the throttle cable a little until the engine got warmed up.  Later, I was told by a couple of friends that I could just put a piece of cardboard on the grill on the front of the engine and it will warm up quicker!  Probably try that next time!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

StimW

Those fuel pumps rely on a sealed crankcase for the pulse. Even a bad O-ring on the dipstick could cause problems.
Because the filter is under vacuum it won't be full when running.
You need to completely drain the tank to dry and then start with fresh gas. Water is a big issue with anything that has sat for any length of time. Might have water in the carburator too. You can try giving it a hard choke to try to suck it on through.
You can also remove the air cleaner and spray carb cleaner in the two small vent holes in the top of the carb.
If there is a fuel connection from the tank like on an outboard motor they are known to have the O-ring get cut inside the connector.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

woodworker9

Thanks, guys, for all the replies.

I installed the new fuel pump and fuel filter, both oem Kohler parts, and removed the quick-connect from the fuel line at the tank.  All to no avail.  The motor was allowed to idle for 10 minutes, and it ran perfectly the whole time.  Motor was plenty hot.  It'll run at high speed for 45 to 60 seconds before cutting out and dying.
My best guess is carburetor.  Tomorrow, I'm gonna replace all the fuel lines, clean the carb, change the spark plugs, and see what happens.

Sooner or later, I'll figure it out.  Hopefully, it'll be sooner.  If changing everything and cleaning the carbs doesn't work, I might have to wave the white flag and take it to a small engines guy who knows more about them than I do.  I'm just a parts replacer at this point.

I did find the fuse for the debarker.  On my mill, it's on the back of the accuset control box.  I haven't even messed with it yet, as I haven't had the mill in operational mode moving down the bed yet.  I've been running it (or trying to) in it's parked position for trailering, trying to debug.

barbender

Congratulations on a fine mill! On the debarker, you don't need to move the head. You just need to put your power feed in the forward position and turn the debarker switch on. Your debarker should come on, along with the safety alarm that goes with it. For your fuel issue, I would use another tank or set yours up so it can gravity feed, what I am getting at is you need to establish that you have unimpeded fuel flow getting to the engine. There's no sense rebuilding a carb when it could be a blocked fuel line in the tank. I've seen CARB compliant fuel tanks behave like yours, the cap vents are bad and the tank will vacuum lock. They run for a minute, and die like you turned the switch off. I would think a carb or fuel pump issue would cause a consistent rough running issue, if it runs great and then just shuts down, you have a restriction somewhere. Good luck!
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!