iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fell into my Niche....

Started by FarmingSawyer, October 31, 2014, 07:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmingSawyer

I seem to keep landing these jobs no one else wants.....that's ok...I can deliver.
Pine behind the garage....this seemed straight forward enough......

Until..... I discovered this was the only way to get the logs out....

Ok...cable through the alley, couple of blocks, winch them endo to the alley and turn 90˚

From here I could hook onto the with the truck and drag them 20ft to the driveway to saw.

There was barely enough room on the drive for a few logs, and the mill.... Still with 1700bf of nice pine..much of the bigger pieces clear..all from one tree...the owner was pleased and his total came out to just under $0.68/bf
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Sixacresand

A lot of smart, hard workl  Good job, FarmingSawyer.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

Looks like those are good size white pine. Get a good hourly rate too. Most would turn that job down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

Nice work.  Definitely worth doing, and your reputation will spread quickly.  You'e right-- there is a definite niche for people who can think their way through a problem like that.  It took a couple of near-misses and one downed power line for me to learn to leave the felling to the experts, though.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

drobertson

That's a good one to fall in to.  Very tricky work that close to buildings.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I love your style as well as your niche.  It is very nice to leave a satisfied customer and drive home with a jingle in your pocket.   With your attitude, you will do well.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blade69001

I love the jobs no one else wants, I leave feeling accomplished and the customer is always happy.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

FarmingSawyer

Thanks all! What gets me is these jobs seem really "easy"....not that there isn't a heck of a lot of sweat and cussing behind them. I guess doing storm damage tree salvage out West prepared me for anything. The great thing is these jobs are fun, the customer always appreciates the effort, and it beats having a "real" job....
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

backwoods sawyer

It is all about understanding the process and putting it to action.

smiley_thumbsup

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

longtime lurker

So long as it's not costing you more then the jobs worth.
I used to do a lot of jobs like that too till I sat down and figured out what the real cost of some of them was in terms of time and "regular" jobs turned away while I was doing them. Like the time I pulled on this fair lump of a Silkwood Maple (high value rainforest species Flindersia pimenteliana) way way down this big hill.... three days with a D4E, three single blocks, a double block, what seemed like a mile of 3/4" cable that needed to be rerouted through the jungle with every block shift - and I managed to snap the cable a few times too which takes some doing with a little dozer like that - before I even had it where I could get a saw to it. Lets just say that I earnt my money the hard way that time.

Actually that job looks like a good Lucas Mill proposition... assemble the mill over the logs and be out of there before you know it. :)
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!