iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What tools do you wear protective equiptment with?

Started by hackberry jake, October 30, 2014, 06:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I have been playing with my $80 bandsaw lately and I figured I didn't need to wear safety glasses since it is cutting downward and it seemed fairly harmless. I needed to cut a piece of pvc pipe and I thought the bandsaw was the tool for the job. Long story short, it grabbed the pvc and shattered it with the largest piece flying by my head and sticking up in the rafters. I will wear safety glasses with the bandsaw from here on out.

Here is my list now
Planer, ear plugs, no safety glasses
jointer, sometimes ear plugs if I am using it a lot and safety glasses
table saw, safety glasses
sanders, dust mask
shaper and routers, safety glasses
skil saw, safety glasses
bandsaw, SAFETY GLASSES
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Swatson

For me its the table saw that is out to get me...And I dont think my router likes me much either.

If I am cutting something round like pipe or dowels on the bandsaw I always stick a piece of flat scrap wood underneath it and cut both at the same time.  Im not saying it wont grab and try to spin the piece, but if it does the scrap will keep the stock from getting pulled down into the insert, especially if you have a large clearance around the blade.

I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

m wood

nice thread jake.  I'm pretty much on par with your PPEs vs. the tools they go with.  problem with sanding is:  I go back and forth so often and for spontaneous needs that I rarely walk over to get the dust mask.   :-\  but I've been known to sniff and spit in the middle of the shop floor anyway  ;D.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Stephen1

I have been wearing the SAFETY GLASSES more and more. The problem I have is they get get scratched easily, obviously because of our rough environment.  I also tend to wear ear protect quite a bit also. Mine have a radio in them.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Yesterday, I had a 6" section of 3" sch40 PVC and needed to trim ¼" off.  I stepped to the 10" miter saw and proceeded to make the cut.  How I do not know because it instantly snatched that piece of pipe out of my hands and slung it out of the opened door.  It ripped down one side splitting it open to within an inch of the end.

I have no idea what PPE I needed, but the fact is I looked for blood somewhere.  None, I was lucky.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on October 30, 2014, 10:35:35 PM
Yesterday, I had a 6" section of 3" sch40 PVC and needed to trim ¼" off.  I stepped to the 10" miter saw and proceeded to make the cut.  How I do not know because it instantly snatched that piece of pipe out of my hands and slung it out of the opened door.  It ripped down one side splitting it open to within an inch of the end.

I have no idea what PPE I needed, but the fact is I looked for blood somewhere.  None, I was lucky.

:o When cutting Pvc or other than wood you have to use a fine tooth blade. Like for plywood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Magicman on October 30, 2014, 10:35:35 PM

That is a bad combination, round thin, walled and short.

I often wear my chain saw helmet at the table saw, especially when ripping up a bunch of boards.

hardtailjohn

I'm terrible about safety glasses, so when I got my last pair of prescription glasses, I had them put in the extra hard duty lenses....so basically I have my safety glasses on all the time. They aren't quite as good for stuff on the sides, but they will at least slow something down before coming out the back of my head!
I'm pretty good about hearing protection.... my hearing's bad enough from years of heavy equipment and aircraft. I usually can find a pair of ear plugs in one of my pockets.
Gloves are a controversial subject....sometimes they're good, and often not good.
Dust is definitely an issue, but I did install a dust collection system in the shop and it's a huge improvement.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

hackberry jake

A corporate mandate at the place I work said that anybody using cutting tools of any kind had to wear Kevlar cut resistant gloves. This went into effect in probably 30 printing plants. Well, there was a guy another plant that was running a metal lathe (cutting tool) and he had his kevlar gloves on. From what i hear, The lathe grabbed one of the gloves, glove didnt tear (kevlar) and it ripped his arm off at the elbow. Do NOT wear gloves around rotating equiptment was the next mandate...

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

Regards the gloves, our safety committee said gloves were required when handling lumber (someone reported a splinter) and one carpenter was ripping lumber on a large table saw. The blade caught the leather glove, pulled his hand into the blade, and he lost one finger (but they saved two others that were severed).
Agree.. no gloves or loose clothing or long hair around rotating tools.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Stephen1

I also wear my chainsaw chaps and helmet with ear protection when running the Sawmill. I use the hearing protection on them all the time, and when the saw is hitting bark and the top parts of the log, I can drop the screen protection for my face. The chaps are good for when I do fire up the chainsaw, and work the best at keeping the oil off my pants from the chain on the WM, I am always leaning into the chain and getting my pants covered with oil, so I just put the chaps on, no oil stain, and I am ready to pick up the saw with all my PPE on and ready to go.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

gspren

In regards to safety glasses getting scratched, most scratches occur when they are NOT on your face so keep them on. On the rare times they get scratched while wearing them they probably kept your eye from being damaged. This is speaking from over 40 years in machine shops for my main job and cutting firewood to burn and sell.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hardtailjohn

Quote from: beenthere on October 31, 2014, 01:41:25 PM
Regards the gloves, our safety committee said gloves were required when handling lumber (someone reported a splinter) and one carpenter was ripping lumber on a large table saw. The blade caught the leather glove, pulled his hand into the blade, and he lost one finger (but they saved two others that were severed).
Agree.. no gloves or loose clothing or long hair around rotating tools.

Yah, I wont wear leather gloves in the shop, other than welding. My gloves, if I do wear them are a loose knit cotton, with the rubberized fingers and palm...just for a better grip mostly. They are stretchy and fit snug, and usually the only time I'm wearing them is if I'm using the table saw, jointer, sander, or shaper.  I've seen too many people get a leather glove caught and wind up with a stump...not for me.  Also, my wedding ring is at the house...saw that one a few times too! 
One of the greatest safety items I've seen is a foot operated "deadman" style switch on the drill press. If something goes wrong, all you have to do is take your foot off and the power is off. I'm sure it could be used elsewhere as well.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Hilltop366

Quote from: hardtailjohn on November 02, 2014, 10:45:16 AM

One of the greatest safety items I've seen is a foot operated "deadman" style switch on the drill press. If something goes wrong, all you have to do is take your foot off and the power is off. I'm sure it could be used elsewhere as well.
John

Great Idea John!

My drill press has the feed handle on the right and the switch on the left which makes it hard to get my right hand around to the left to shut it off in a hurry.

I do run the drive belt a bit slack just incase.

elk42

IT could be a Hougen Rotabroach® Annular Cutters, look it up.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Swatson

I am not a big fan of gloves while working.  Even the grippy gloves still just dont have the grip that my hand does.   I have had some injuries to my hands that a glove may have protected some skin, but without a good grip I might be missing some toes instead. 
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

mesquite buckeye

I shattered the end of my tibia when a hand sledge slipped out of my leather gloved hand and hit my leg. Put me out of work for 4 months and about a year to be mostly normal. No more gloves when using striking tools for me. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

BmoreReclaimed

Its a numbers game, if you play the lottery every day of your life, you will eventually win something!  And in all reality, I believe if I make 7 cuts on TS with glasses and one cut without, the cut with-out will NO DOUBT sling a nail or loose knot or something at me.  I wear ear muffs 100% of the time, it is the only protection that doesn't take away in the least from my production. I don't believe in wearing gloves.  I always watch the tool while working, so if I'm looking at it, it can spank me, simple as that

WDH

Safety Glasses
Ear Protection

On all power equipment except for sanding with the ROS. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lowpolyjoe

I put on the safety glasses whenever I go in the garage because you never know...   Even if doing something seemingly safe.  I was hit in the face when a spring clamp gave up and it would have been big trouble if I didn't have the glasses on.

Scratches on the glasses are a pain, but I just got a new set for myself that are supposedly scratch resistant.    I find I tend to scratch them when attempting to clean them. 

I rarely wear gloves unless I'm doing landscaping.   After hearing your stories, Sounds like I'll keep it that way. 

Ear protection just about whenever I'm running anything with a motor or engine.  I've already got some hearing damage and want to limit its progression

Stay safe everybody

jueston

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on January 04, 2015, 09:09:39 PM
Ear protection just about whenever I'm running anything with a motor or engine.  I've already got some hearing damage and want to limit its progression

i'm in the same boat, my hearing isn't very good right now, i'd like to limit any further loss, so i wear my big over ear hearing protection anytime i'm running a tool in the shop

a few times i've had to make a quick cut and not put on my hearing protection, i'm blown away by how loud it is, since i'm always wearing my heating protection i don't even know how loud some of my machines are...

woodsteach

As a woods and welding instructor for 20 years and 10 years of woods and metals classes before that with very safety conscious instructors, safety is ingrained in my bones.  KNock on wood I still have all ten fingers and both eyes.

Safety glasses at all times while in the lab/shop.
I wear custom ear plugs 95% of the time as well.
No watches, rings
or gloves (unless welding)
Sleeves rolled to the elbows.

When milling;  Chaps, safety glasses, ear plugs, logging helmet with ear muffs and face shield

Running skidloader: ear plugs, safety glasses, if tree shearing or logging:  logging helmet with face protection

I tell my students to make safety and caution common habits, also never work with machines when in a hurry.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: woodsteach on January 07, 2015, 11:01:23 AM

I tell my students to make safety and caution common habits, also never work with machines when in a hurry.

or tired, mad, distracted, aggravated or newly in love...

In other words, perk up and pay attention.

Good guidance for your students and for all of us.

Herb

JohnG28

I had a piece of PVC shatter on me in the miter saw last week too.  I had an 80t blade in and thought I'd be OK, but put on safety glasses anyway.  Glad I did.  I have been using them a lot more than I used to.  I don't wear hearing protection much, but I do usually work with headphones in playing music so that helps some. 
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodcutter_Mo

I usually wear safety glasses any time I'm using a power saw of any kind also when using a drill press or grinder. Also hearing protection since I have really sensitive hearing and slight hearing loss already.

Better safe now than sorry later  8)
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Texas Ranger

Might near all of em, us old fellas got more to lose, we done lost a good chunk of it by now!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

clww

The only time I can think of that I don't wear some piece of PPE is when I use a hammer. But then I'm wearing my impact-rated eyeglasses, so maybe I am always wearing something.....
:new_year:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Just Me

I've cut off three fingers. Once twice. I've also broken 63 bones. I could be the poster child for "Don't do that!"

The thing is, when I started doing woodwork in the early seventies, there was no safety anything in construction. Tablesaws did not have guards, chopsaws either, etc., etc.

Most of my injuries happened when someone or something scared me. I get way off into what I am doing. I now lock my shop door when I am doing something that could be dangerous.

The tool that scares me the most is the shaper. Thats because it is the one tool that has never bit me[knock on wood]. It is 9 hp and will swing a 14" cutter and I have never found anything that will even slow it down. Power feed is used almost exclusively. I don't think they should even sell shapers without powerfeeds.

Dust collection should have been a bigger priority when I was younger, but it was always hard to justify because it did not increase my abilities. After 40+ years I am developing problems.

Stephen1

Just Me

No, but I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous........

hackberry jake

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!