iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Table saw HP

Started by hackberry jake, October 30, 2014, 06:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

There's nothing wrong with a knuckle buster .They have earned  their place along side Channel -locks and Visegrips .Duct tape however it seems has replaced baling wire as the later is hard to find now of days .None of which relates to table saws except for the fact a dab of duct tape makes a handy reference mark for cutting multiple lengths of lumber ,short boards so to speak .

Peter Drouin

I have 10" 5 horse 220 and It cuts well. With a mill that can cut 20+feet I set the saw so I can go in one door and out the other. :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

barbender

Hackberry, get one of those 24 tooth Fred rip blades at HD, it will make a big difference for you I think. They are less than $30 if I remember right.
Too many irons in the fire

JByrd

I have an old Craftsman that is probably only 1 hp.  It is adequate for my small woodworking projects.  If I have to do any heavy duty ripping, I use an 18" Jet bandsaw with a 1 1/4 inch wide ripping blade.  It rips much faster than the table saw.  It leaves rough edges, of course, but I always finish edges with the jointer or planer.  We once made 1200 lf of 4/4 oak baseboard for a church - ripped it slightly over width, then ran 4 at a time through the planer up on edge.  I was surprised how well this worked, every edge comes out straight and smooth without a burn mark in sight and every board is exactly the same width. Goes 4 times as fast as running them through a jointer one at a time, and power feeds.
The bandsaw is great for jobs like making stickers.  It will rip as fast as you can push the boards through.
JByrd

Al_Smith

I have an old Crescent bandsaw .Heavy cast iron contraption made in the late 30's ,weighs a ton .It does just fine with a 1 HP motor .I think it's a 20" .Lawdy does that thing sing going through a piece of lumber .

When I bought that 12" table saw it came with probabley twice the value as I payed for the saw in Freud blades,dado sets  (three ) and a 7" molding  head with every set of cutters every sold by Sears and Roebuck plus duplicates .I had already had a 5" set for my radial arm saw .

Between a table saw and a radial arm you can do just about anything .Of course making trim etc they aren't as good as perhaps a real shaper .Considering though for guys like me who only make trim on occasion they do fine .They just aren't as fast but they don't cost a couple thousand bucks either .Just another way to skin the cat .

sawguy21

I didn't know anybody used radial arm saws any more, you must be a dinosaur.  :D Seriously, not as versatile as a miter saw but still a great tool. My dad nearly wore out his Craftsman, it did a lot of work.
With any saw, keeping the blade clean is important and will extend the time between sharpenings. I worked in a sharpening shop at one time, a lot of blades that came in merely needed cleaning.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DR Buck

I have a Powermatic 3hp 220v table saw and it does not bog  down.   :)       I also have a 12" Milwaukee sliding miter and a 1hp Craftsman radial arm saw that I just completely restored.   I use it mostly for cutting dados.     

DO mostly ripping on the table saw and do cross cutting on the sliding miter.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

hackberry jake

I kind of like my OLD Dewalt radial arm saw. It's only 3/4 HP but when you need to cut the end off of a 16" wide board that is 12' long... It comes in pretty handy. Or dados, or planer blade sharpening or...

They are probably almost as versatile as a table saw.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

DR Buck

Quote from: hackberry jake on November 07, 2014, 04:15:27 PM
............ or planer blade sharpening or...

They are probably almost as versatile as a table saw.

Now that's something I've never seen, imagined, or want to try.     :o
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Al_Smith

I've seen radial arm saws used for a whole lot of stuff you'd never imagine they could do .
Mine is an old Craftsman 9" .Must be at least 35 years old but still works fine .I have no idea what the HP rating is but it must be enough .

I also have a 10" power miter which is also handy for certain things .Then there's the old Millers Falls miter that has to be about 100 years old .It needs some attention on the saw,getting a little on the dull side .That one is arm strong powered . ;D

Al_Smith

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 06, 2014, 11:56:56 PM
I worked in a sharpening shop at one time, a lot of blades that came in merely needed cleaning.
Tip of the day,Easy Off oven cleaner .Takes pine residue off in about 2 minutes.

sawguy21

Use gloves with that stuff.

Al_Smith

Rubber gloves to be specific.  ;) It's got some kind of acid in it but it works .Probabley not a bad idea to rinse the blade with water after the treatment either but I never have .Oak etc. you don't get that pitch  build up,pine you do .

LeeB

Alkali actually. Caustic soda. Sodium Hydroxide, or more commonly known as lye.

Water,Diluent

Butane,Propellant

Sodium Hydroxide, pH Adjuster

Diethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether,Solvent

Ethanolamine,pH Adjuster

Aluminum Magnesium Silicate,Thickener

Paraffin Wax,Wax

Fragrance / Parfum,Fragrance

Stearic Acid,Thickener

Carnauba Wax,Wax

Triethanolamine,pH Adjuster
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ozarkgem

I think Craftsmen must have used cheap motors. I have burnt up every Craftsman motor I have had. Changed to a different brand motor on the same tool and no more problems. I wouldn't hesitate to put a 5 hp on your saw.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

CHARLIE

I bought a 10 inch Jet Cabinet saw in 2002 as a retirement gift to myself.  It has a 3 HP motor that seems to do a real good job for me.  I've yet to have it slow down even in thick oak. 

I also think a sharp, thin kerf blade makes a big difference too.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sawguy21

Quote from: ozarkgem on November 27, 2014, 07:53:51 AM
I think Craftsmen must have used cheap motors. I have burnt up every Craftsman motor I have had. Changed to a different brand motor on the same tool and no more problems. I wouldn't hesitate to put a 5 hp on your saw.
The low end direct drive saws have light windings and cheap bushings. Look for a belt drive with a good dual voltage motor from Dayton, Baldor, Emerson.

ozarkgem

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 27, 2014, 10:45:24 PM
Quote from: ozarkgem on November 27, 2014, 07:53:51 AM
The low end direct drive saws have light windings and cheap bushings. Look for a belt drive with a good dual voltage motor from Dayton, Baldor, Emerson.
Mine is belt drive. Just a cheap motor.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thank You Sponsors!