iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ok figure this one out

Started by snowstorm, October 30, 2014, 05:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

when i got home today my boy asked what kind of animal would chew a hole in the roof. under the eves on the front of the house there is now a hole about 4" across it. and all the pieces of the pine board are on the deck. most are a 1/4 wide by an inch or so. with no teeth marks that i could see. the house has a double roof with Styrofoam and 11/2" air space. none of the eve vents are missing and the ridge vent looks fine. what do ya think??

32vld

32vld

Unless if the house is a log cabin or timber frame. Then it's a Beaver!  :laugh:

Reddog

dsgsr

Quote from: Reddog on October 30, 2014, 05:15:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_woodpecker

Would be my guess, based on your description.

Yup, my guess would be the woodpecker, No teeth marks:)

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

snowstorm

yes its a log cabin. i am thinking its a grey squirrel. i did find some small claw marks and another hole way up high. there hasnt been a lot of squirrels since i made her stop feeding the birds. looks like its time for some bird seed and a pellet gun

ely

that or a yellow hammer woodpecker

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

Does the hole go thru so an animal can enter? or just a woodpecker hole.  Flying squirrels will gnaw a hole.
Think like a farmer.

MJD

I say woodpecker (Downy), I have 4 bluebird boxes and the added a extra entry hole on all the sides that had no hole. We know a couple who has a vacation cottage close to us and woodpeckers put holes in all the eve boards.

Autocar

Pine squirrel that's what happens when you cut his den tree  :D
Bill

Ed_K

I'm with MJD, they leave scratch marks. I've had problems with them chewing on my sofit's on our log cabin.Their after some grubs.
Ed K

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Red Clay Hound

I'd say squirrels also.  I used to have a house with cedar siding.  Squirrels chewed through the wooden gable vents to get into the attic.  Sounded like they were playing soccer up there! :D
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

snowstorm

the strange thing was the hole didnt look like they chewed it. more like they got there claws into the board and pulled it apart. its time to declare war 

treeslayer2003

beenthere

Quotethe strange thing was the hole didnt look like they chewed it

Help us out with a pic or two. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

My bet is on one of those big woodpeckers.I have pictures of the silvers those birds can make.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Sons chemistry experiment gone bad?  I can recall a few "modified" chemistry projects that left a mark or two. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

David-L

Wood pecker going for grubs, ants. Had a Downy one time who got smart and would bang on the gutters to magnify the sound to make the girls think he was the big guy. I say that was pretty smart unless you were trying to sleep in. Sounded like rapid gun fire.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Ken

Squirrels = rats with bushy tails.  I would think however that if is squirrels the hole(s) would only be big enough for them to get in and out.  Good luck
Lots of toys for working in the bush

HiTech

To big for a squirrel. I would imagine it was a woodpecker of some species.

BargeMonkey

I could send the wife's orange cat up fed-ex, he would have it resolved in 24-48hrs. Im waiting for it to drag home a fawn, hes cleaned the neighborhood of rabbits.  :D   have you ever seen what a porcupine does with T-1 11 plywood ? We have a customer who had the first 2-3' cleaned off the house, he was shooting 2-3 a day for a while.

WmFritz

Woodpeckers have my cedar siding punched full of holes. Only on the sunny sides though.  >:(
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

snowstorm

Quote from: BargeMonkey on October 30, 2014, 10:06:36 PM
I could send the wife's orange cat up fed-ex, he would have it resolved in 24-48hrs. Im waiting for it to drag home a fawn, hes cleaned the neighborhood of rabbits.  :D   have you ever seen what a porcupine does with T-1 11 plywood ? We have a customer who had the first 2-3' cleaned off the house, he was shooting 2-3 a day for a while.
send him up. i could use him

enigmaT120

I have a local pileated woodpecker, but luckily he just bangs on my electrical transformer.  Noisy though.  My house has aluminum siding, maybe he doesn't know how easily he could peck through that.  Not noisy enough to suit him, I bet.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

terry f

Like thecfarm said, I've seen some large splinters from woodpeckers, but you have to love them.

luvmexfood

To me woodpeckers are sort of amazing in a way. We have some standing dead locust. We all know how hard they are. Some have holes you could easily put your whole fist in. How that beak holds up is amazing. Looks like that constant hammering against such hard wood would cause a massive headache. :D
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

g_man

Sounds like a pileated wood pecker to me too. I would check that roof structure out pretty close for carpenter ants. Back in the 70's I put a couple rooves on some log cabins per the recommendations of the time. Back then they didn't have the air space. Just Styrofoam laid on the ceiling boards then covered with plywood and shingled. After a couple years condensation in there they were full of rot and carpenter ants. A huge mess. There was a constant trail of ants going up and down the siding.
We fixed them by stripping everything and putting in an air space vented top and bottom like you have. So your probably OK but I would check. It was a mess I can never forget.

beenthere

This hole sounds related to rotten boards falling out. Would be easy to tell if the wood that came out was decayed, and pretty tough for woodpecker or squirrel to remove solid wood.
south central Wisconsin

snowstorm

it was not rotten wood. no none. its a ward log cabin. and has 6' of over hang in the front. one hole was right up against one of the spruce purlins. so whatever did it had to do it while being pretty much upside down. stand on the deck and look up thats where they are

SliverPicker

Woodpecker.  My soffits look like swiss cheese from the blighters.
Yooper by trade.

SwampDonkey

No idea myself, but I have seen grey squirrels make holes in house eves. When I lived in the city, I saw a grey squirrel make residence in one hole and on the other side was a family of pigeons using another hole.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!